1948 Chrysler 4 dr./7 passenger compatibility

markrush

There is a guy near me who can't seem to sell his 1948 7 passenger Windsor 6 cylinder. It is not running and is pretty rough, so I think I could get it very reasonably ($500?) as a parts car. My question is: How much compatibility would there be with my 1948 4 door Windsor? Enough to make it worthwhile?

When you say 7 passenger do you mean a limousine type car with jump seats in the back seat floor? They used a different body from the regular sedans, obviously much longer, and a wheelbase 12" or 14" longer.

The difference in the body is obvious when you see it.

The chassis and body would be different from a regular sedan but front clip (body) , engine, and trans would be the same. Also instrument panel.

If they are both standard sedans, everything is the same except for a few trim bits.

I have not seen the car, except on Craig's list. It had the jump seats, but not the dividing window. This also used a longer body, right? I have seen some parts distinguished as "not for 7-8 passenger" or only for the 4-door. I think they were seals or something, which makes me wonder if the axles/brakes/suspension was beefed up and different. I have loaned out my parts manual to someone in the next county so I can't reference it.

I had a seven pass. sedan years ago, as I can remember rear axle bearings and seals were bigger, the steering column shaft is heavier than the Windsor, I couldn't use the beautiful blue steering wheel. Many parts sources will state (expt. Long Wheelbase Cars or LWB)

Thank you for the information. I think I'll wait to see if I can find a 4-dr. sedan parts car. Dave, go for it. You can find him on Craig's List if you search for 1948 Chrysler. He is in Tracy. He had a no reserve opening bid of $500 on eBay some time ago and got no bids. He has had it on Craig's List for over a year now, I think. He says he is willing to trade it for a motorcycle, so I think he would consider all offers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...