Sign in to follow this  
dwhiteside64

Spring Start Up

Hi everyone,

I've been recently thinking about Spring here in snowy Michigan and of course driving the classic came to mind on more than a few occasions. Currently my car is in storage tucked away since last November when the weather took a turn for the worse but I know soon enough I will be able to drive it again when the cold weather finally breaks.

What do all of you do to your rides when you take them out of storage after a extended period of time? I need to especially hear from those who live in colder climates like here in Michigan. Any info will be most appreciated.

Thanks

Darren

Not much needed if stored just since November. Make sure battery is charged if you didn't have a trickle charger on it. Check air in tires. Sometimes I would dump a little fuel in the carb to avoid long cranking but that is not necessary. Don't start it until the roads are decent and you can take it for a good drive so you can get as much fresh gas in the tank as possible. Always a good idea to stop after 5-10 miles and open the hood just to check for leaks of any kind.

Hi everyone,

I've been recently thinking about Spring here in snowy Michigan and of course driving the classic came to mind on more than a few occasions. Currently my car is in storage tucked away since last November when the weather took a turn for the worse but I know soon enough I will be able to drive it again when the cold weather finally breaks.

What do all of you do to your rides when you take them out of storage after a extended period of time? I need to especially hear from those who live in colder climates like here in Michigan. Any info will be most appreciated.

Thanks

darren,

other than what Jason mentioned, I like to unplug & ground the coil wire & turn the motor over a few times until it builds oil pressure. don't grind on the starter forever, just hit it for 5-10 seconds a couple times until the oil light goes out. Do you change your oil once a season? now is a good time. Change out your antifreeze every 2 years...Did you treat your fuel before storing? I am lucky enough to have eth free fuel avail, so I use that in my old cars. If not, use Sta-bil ethanol treatment or similar. I have seen lots of hard fuel lines & gunked up carbs since eth was added to fuel. I have had good results 'fogging' my old car carbs, spray is avail at marine stores.....

be sure to have a fire ex handy since you are messing with priming fuel & coil wires. I ground mine with a alligator clip ground wire. back-fires do happen, can't be too safe with fire.

I live in a somewhat warmer climate now, but did grow up in Oregon & helped my Uncle winterize/unwinterize a fleet of old cars....

enjoy.

Hi again,

Thanks Jason and Kevin for the advice. Yes I did treat the fuel with Sta-bil. I'll heed your warning about cranking too long and have a fir-extinguisher handy for sure. Changing the oil is on my list and I brought my battery indoors but have a charger to make sure it is fully charged before use.

My spring start up routine consists of nothing more than what has been stated here. My car sits for 5+ months during winter hibernation, and I've never had any issues with the spring start up. I'll second the idea of not starting the car until it can be driven a good distance and brought to full operating temperature. Starting a stored vehicle just to let it sit there and idle to"warm up" does more harm than good from what I've learned.

Hi Darren,

I've been a San Diego resident for almost 10 years now, but lived near Detroit (in Bloomfield Township) for 19 years before that. I agree with what's said so far, and just a little off topic, one thing I always did for winter storage was to buy a couple bags of Kingsford charcoal briquettes. I'd slice the bags open lengthwise and place them under the car so the briquettes would absorb any moisture from the car's underside. A cheap way to keep a nicely done chassis rust-free.

I was out in the garage Sunday and slid into the drivers seat of the '64 Riviera. It started right up since Thanksgiving weekend.

This year I decided to heat the garage. I installed a natural gas furnace in 1988 that I used to turn on when I went out there. On December 6th I started using a web based thermostat to maintain a temperature above freezing. I can stop in the diner for coffee and raise the temperature from my phone. Then its warm and ready.

The initial temperature set point I tried was 48-50 degrees and I monitored the run times and cost. As winter progressed I lightened up on the budget and used 38 during the extreme cold and 42 when it got milder. I raise it to 50-55 when I work. So far it has cost $150 to February 1st. I won't exceed $100 for February and March will be another 50 bucks. So $300 is going to be next years budget. That kept all the liquids, paint, and chemicals from freezing. On the few warmer days, 40's, the cars were at temperatures above dew point. Although condensation has not been a big problem it is eliminated now.

In the long run I think the investment will improve the environment for the cars and all the stuff around them. I am happy with the results.

The garage is 1,000 square feet, insulated, with 8 foot walls.

Bernie

I appreciate all the advice here guys. It allows me to think logically and not focus on any one idea and maybe come up with a hybrid of all the suggestions. Bernie I think $300 is a small investment compared with the ability to keep your care in good running condition. Jan I use desiccant bags in the same fashion but its good to know that there are alternatives in this area. I appreciate the vote of confidence Dan and I hope I have little problem getting her on the road again.