What are these two pre-war California desert find vehicles?

Chris Bamford

We came across these two a week ago hiking in Joshua Tree National Park near the ruins of an old gold mine. I already have an ID the on the car, but it will be interesting to see how quick the answer comes from the forum.

The truck remains a mystery and I hope to establish year, make and model for publication with the photos in our local club newsletter.

Thank you!

post-59237-143142393723_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143142393726_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143142393729_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143142393732_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143142393734_thumb.jpg

Truck engine has a mechanical fuel pump which I think places it 1930 or later. But it has a updraft carburetor so that would be maybe 1932 or earlier. At least for the makes I am most familiar with. I guess other makes could have run updraft carburetors later. Front fenders look about right for that early 1930s era but the cut of the cowl and windshield look older than 1930 to me. . . Color me confused on what it is.

I think the truck may be around a 1930 Diamond T. Truck engine is a Continental.

My truck spotters guide says they used this engine starting in 1929 on the one ton model 151. It is as close as I can get. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

The truck engine looks like a split head Pontiac. Therefore since it doesn't have the raised ridge in the center of the cowl it is probably a GMC. With the wheels it has it is likely a 30 to 31 T-25.

Thank you all of the above for your posts. Another source identified the car as a 1930ish Lincoln Model L so Matt was right on the money.

I blew up the truck engine photo and confirmed the appearance of a split head. I have no personal knowledge of this engine or that era of trucks, but it sounds like you know of what you speak!

Here is the truck engine zoomed in and a RF shot with a bit of detail — sadly, no photos of the dash or the other side of the engine.

post-59237-143142393949_thumb.jpg

post-59237-143142393942_thumb.jpg

I see what you say about the head now. The ribs in the door point to a 28 or 29. The fuel tank is in the right place also for a GMC. Truck spotters guide says the Pontiac engine started to be used in 1928. The Model T-20-A Chassis is 132 inch Wheel base. In 1930, the ribs in the doors were in a different location. 28 to 29 GMC then.

Looks right. http://www.gmphotostore.com/1928-GMC-T-11-Canopy-Express/productinfo/53218667/#.UwI7sJWPI5s

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
CHRIS, did you drive the Dodge to California or did you rough it in the Speedster?

We took the Airbus 320.

However, since you asked, friend Jerry and I are heading out in the Dodge next week on a "Northern Fort Tour" to Fort McMurray, Fort MacKay, Fort Chipewyan, Fort Fitzgerald, Fort Smith, Fort Resolution and Fort Vermillion. The road between F MacKay and F Fitzgerald is winter only (ice & overland) so we need to get through there before April.

Edited by Bamfords Garage
Forgot a Fort (see edit history)

Guest Rob McDonald

Wow, what an adventure! Hope you're taking lots of photos and are assembling an album, so that you'll have something to remember when the ol' Dodge throws a rod or something. As if that would stop your travels...

• 6 months later...
Guest Paul Manuel
We came across these two a week ago hiking in Joshua Tree National Park near the ruins of an old gold mine. I already have an ID the on the car, but it will be interesting to see how quick the answer comes from the forum.

The truck remains a mystery and I hope to establish year, make and model for publication with the photos in our local club newsletter.

Thank you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]235043[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]235042[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]235041[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]235040[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]235039[/ATTACH]

Well I would say that the truck is a T19 I have a 1929 T19 with split-head six, same wheels. T18 used the Pontiac split six but was a smaller truck with smaller wheels. All of the upper size GMC trucks used the larger Buick engine. The difference this truck has from mine is the rear area. What I have is an express body and this looks a little different. I would love to get my hands on that truck and bring it home. Also it could be a Pontiac T19, same truck different logos.