`63 thru `67 Option Codes and Pricing

1965rivgs

Doing some scans from `93 for Ray`s In-Print series of articles and ran across this neat compilation in the June `93 Bugle. This is a very handy reference to print and keep on hand for car shopping, compiling a window sticker for your baby, or???

Also, submitted by none other than Chris Wolfe....nice.

Tom Mooney

post-50047-143142393693_thumb.jpg

post-50047-14314239366_thumb.jpg

Very cool!! here's the card they must have used to call out the options during assembly- found it under the rear seat. 67'Riv. Before computers, I guess.[ATTACH=CONFIG]235074[/ATTACH]

Rocky, that card is commonly called an "IBM Card" and I suspect it was computer generated. I`m not quite sure what the purpose of this card was as I have received mixed and conflicting answers when posing the question to folks who were involved "back in the day". But I believe it was utilized when shipping the car to the dealer. I suspect the card info was based on the original car order and used by the dealer to verify build accuracy. I have also been told it had something to do with warranty but I am not sure how that would play out. One thing is for sure, it is a complete record of exactly how that particular car is built. Be sure to keep it, very nice piece of documentation.

Anyway you could scan the card again so it fills a page for printing?

Tom Mooney

Tom,

I worked for Honeywell Information Systems back in the late sixties...a direct competitor of IBM...they literally called themselves "The Other Computer Company". We would have been shot at dawn if we called that card an "IBM Card". We had to call it a "Data Card"!!!

Edited by DShip (see edit history)

Tom,

I worked for Honeywell Information Systems back in the late sixties...a direct competitor of IBM...they literally called themselves "The Other Computer Company". We would have been shot a dawn if we called that card an "IBM Card". We had to call it a "Data Card"!!!

Hope he posts a better scan so I can make a Zerox copy.....Dave, dont shoot the messenger! Now, tell me what the "data card" is for????

Tom

I believe its a typical 80 column data card with binary punch holes in it that was produced by a data entry person reading from an order filed out by an auto dealer salesperson. The card would then be read by card reader equipment programmed to accept the binary data (could be a Fortran, or Cobol, or ASCII program). The info most likely would have then created a production line order and also be included in some sort of GM statistical inventory data base(s). The card would most likely accompany the finished product to its destination.

I was able to read "Serial #, Key #, Trim Codes, Production Date, Standard Option & Accessories" titles and see various embedded punched holes from the picture shown.

The process I describe is what I remember as being a typical work flow order process producing Honeywell computers at their factories in MA when I was a "bean counter" for them in the late sixties (45 years ago!). I assume other manufacturing companies would have used a similar process.

Edited by DShip (see edit history)

Tom, if you click on the picture it comes up in a new window, then click on it there and it will come up the full size picture. It looks very printable to me? You could even right click it then and save it as a picture in a folder on your computer, and print it from there.

I believe its a typical 80 column data card with binary punch holes in it that was produced by a data entry person reading from an order filed out by an auto dealer salesperson. The card would then be read by card reader equipment programmed to accept the binary data (could be a Fortran, or Cobol, or ASCII program). The info most likely would have then created a production line order and also be included in some sort of GM statistical inventory data base(s). The card would most likely accompany the finished product to its destination.

I was able to read "Serial #, Key #, Trim Codes, Production Date, Standard Option & Accessories" titles and see various embedded punched holes from the picture shown.

The process I describe is what I remember as being a typical work flow order process producing Honeywell computers at their factories in MA when I was a "bean counter" for them in the late sixties (45 years ago!). I assume other manufacturing companies would have used a similar process.

Thanks for the info Dave. I recall making these cards in a very basic programming class I had over 35 years ago. The part of the process I am in doubt of is what you describe as " accompany the product to its final destination". There is no doubt this was the case as the card is labeled "glove box copy" and "to be shipped with car". My question is why?

Thanks for the tips Randall.

BTW, I noticed the card is labeled "IBM" on the left margin. I suppose that is why car folks refer to this card as an "IBM Card".

Tom Mooney

All the times I looked at that card, I never noticed the "IBM" in the corner. The first 5 numbers where it says "model" form the first part of the VIN. Here's the protecto=plate. Seems to me you had to bring these things in every 6 months to keep up the warranty; did the dealers really enforce that? If so, they must have made $ with their service depts.post-85985-14314239521_thumb.jpg

Guest dwhiteside64
All the times I looked at that card, I never noticed the "IBM" in the corner. The first 5 numbers where it says "model" form the first part of the VIN. Here's the protecto=plate. Seems to me you had to bring these things in every 6 months to keep up the warranty; did the dealers really enforce that? If so, they must have made $ with their service depts.[ATTACH=CONFIG]235254[/ATTACH]

Has anyone every deciphered their protect-o-plate (guard-a-plate)?

Thanks for the info Dave. I recall making these cards in a very basic programming class I had over 35 years ago. The part of the process I am in doubt of is what you describe as " accompany the product to its final destination". There is no doubt this was the case as the card is labeled "glove box copy" and "to be shipped with car". My question is why?

Thanks for the tips Randall.

BTW, I noticed the card is labeled "IBM" on the left margin. I suppose that is why car folks refer to this card as an "IBM Card".

Tom Mooney

Tom,

I have no reasonable answer as to why...kind of like a packing slip??...but I think that idea is somewhat far fetched. The "IBM Card" label just emphasizes my point about Honeywell calling themselves "The Other Computer Company"...they were way behind IBM in engineering/manufacturing mainframes and peripherals.

Has anyone every deciphered their protect-o-plate (guard-a-plate)?

Darren,

Since I am the orginial owner of my 71GS, I have my protect-o-plate. It would have the name, address, delivery date of original owner, vin#, interior trim #,body paint #, engine/year code # & build date,transmission type/build date & select option codes. That is what the 71's had. I would think that the 1st gen Riv's would be similiar.

I remember that the dealers had this "credit card" type gadget they used anytime you would bring the car in for service, they would place the protect-o-plate in the gadget and then take a blank service order and then slide it over the plate. All the info was printed on the service order.

Bob Bonto # 277

Technical Advisor 71-73 :)