Top 5 classic sports cars

Guest poggydobby

It would be nice if all 5 were sports cars. By any reasonably strict definition of the term only the 911 and the GT6 are sports cars at all. They are the only two that were suitable for autocrossing or other "sports car" activities. The other 3 are supercars that were never driven as sports cars. ever. The worst example is the DB6, which is an expensive sports-tourer. A great car, but about as suitable for racing and autocross as a Buick Riviera.

The GT6 is a GREAT car, which is seriously under-appreciated because it's first version came with an unstable swing-axle rear end. The Mk. 2 version of the GT6 is one of the most rewarding cars to drive I've ever experienced. To call it a "weak engine" is laughable to anyone who's also driven ANY MG, non-V8 Sunbeam, Fiat sports car, early Porsche (i.e. 356), etc. Before the 240Z came out it would dust just about anything in it's price class, and also in it's displacement class for years after. If it came as a soft top I'd likely prefer it to my TR6. (BTW: "tons of people" having this "classic car" must be literal (as in about 4000 lbs worth), as good GT6s are not easy to find. Compared to TR series Triumphs and all post-war MGs you'd have to call them rare.)

That said, any sports car list that doesn't begin (for Americans) with the MG T-Series simply isn't valid.

This is one of the worst "automotive lists" I've ever seen.

Poggy, please do considerable in depth research before putting together such a list. It appears that your criteria was based on recent auction results rather than knowledge of the cars themselves. For starters, you left out pre-war cars such as the SSKL Mercedes, 1750 Alfa Romeo, Type 57SC Bugatti, the fantastic K3 MG Magnette plus the T-Head Mercer Raceabout, regarded by many as the first American sports car. Certainly some Bentleys, Jags, and Porsches should be considered.

I know there are numerous deserving cars that I forgot to mention but the above come to mind.