TRUTH IN ADVERTISING?

Yes folks, it still happens.<BR>Being a foreign car fancier and having some spare change set aside to buy a daily driver I eagerly searched the internet, finally responding to an ad in hemmings advertising an early '60's 220SE Mercedes sedan, a reliable, durable conveyance, easily maintained.<P>The car was advertised as a 220 SE {fuel injection!} with FACTORY AIR! <BR> A simple phone call established after awhile that the car was equipped with carburators instead of FI and it did not have the advertised AC! <BR>The dealer's {Colorado} response was" I don't know who wrote that ad"<P>While buying any car sight unseen is potentially risky remember to be thorough and demanding in you inquiries, you are doing them a favor by inquiring and it's up to the seller to be forthcoming.<BR>Unfortunately it does not always work out that way so don't fall in love with the first thing you see or hear about, literally thousands of cars out there so BE CAREFUL! and never NEVER be in a hurry to buy.

'cause I've owned 'em before and they're great cars, but cheer up, I'm also looking at 40's and '50's Chryslers...................<BR>got one?

Guest De Soto Frank

LI Stellite,<P>I guess the phrase "caveat emptor" will never disappear!<P>Speaking of M-B 220SE;I just happen to have one... that I bought as an "impulse purchase" last summer (not one of my more well-thought-out expenditures!).<BR>I too think that it would be nice to have one for a driver, plus I wanted to have an "entry-level" Benz without spending too much, in case I plain don't like the thing and need to "get out of it, with my shirt."<P>My 220 SE is a '63, 4-dr (yes, it's green too!), and originally had a dual carbureted SOHC six, and four-speed automatic.<BR>Previous owner pulled the original engine ('because it smoked') and installed an engine from a '71 280 series.<BR>He drove it for a while, then lost interest.<P>It's a nice riding car, without some of the "harshness" I've felt in'80's vintage M-Bs; but there are drivetrain issues, plus the cosmetics all need a re-do to make it "nice"...it'll be a good project car, for someone else.(Would rather sink my pennies into one of my other vehicles...)<P>I hope you find one that's to your liking, and also hope that none of us get "suckered' by MadisonAv-speak!<p>[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: DeSoto Frank ]

Amen DeSoto Frank. Thats why i asked the question. Every redneck and queen-of-a- double-wide trailer around here in Whiskey Hell has a 10 years old Mercedes, Towncar or Corvette. I can remember back in the 80's when everyone thot they had to have an Audi because they wanted 'fine European eng'ring' or something. At about 40K miles the Audi would fall apart and i know of at least 5 different Audi owners it happened to. Anyone that wants a REAL car to work on should try a Jag, Rolls, or 55-56 Packard. At least they'll have something different from what every yuppie wanna-be or hick has or had.

Now you just HAD to know that Audi comment would tick someone off!<BR>Depends on the Audi. I wouldn't own a 5000/100/200 if you gave it to me. They are troublesome cars. But the 4000/80/90 series was a good car.<BR>My Coupe GT has 146,000 on it and is raced in hill climbs and driving events. I had to replace the window rubbers because they were worn out and the radiator mounts that finally cracked (they are rubber). That's all I've done to it in the last year.<BR>Watch yer tongue... wink.gif" border="0

Guest De Soto Frank

Didn't really mean to "dis" M-B;<P>I like them and all, I'm just not "at the right place in my life" to play very much with them.(Don't have that much "mad-money")<P>I'm quite fond of the 180/190 and 220 series from the '50s, and have seen some very nice 'survivors' from that period.<BR>As for their Chrome... living in NE Pa, I don't think anyone's Chrome plate, no matter how good lasts very long up here...although the stuff on my '63 220 SE isn't as bad as my Pot metal laden MoPars!<P>BTW, the wife just got herself a "new" car: sold her '94 Honda Accord and bought a 2000 "New" Beetle from a friend who was moving over-seas.<BR>I have to say that aesthetically, I'm "married" to the first-generation Bug, although I know my wife would not tolerate the "quaintness" of an air-cooled VW (especially after that nice Honda!).<BR>One of the "German" approaches to the new "Bug" is the gearing in their manual trans cars: apparently, the Germans believe in having top gear as direct drive, no matter how many speeds in the gearbox; even the 5-speed. This took me by surprise- I'm used to fifth gear being an overdrive; which means the car is taching about 3,500 rpm @ 65 mph, but the car red-lines near 8k, so I guess that cruising rpm isn't too stressful on anything but my ears!<BR>Aside from some nasty blind spots caused the coachwork, it's kind of fun to drive.<BR>Hey, what can I say- it's my wife's car; if she's happy, then we're all happy! wink.gif" border="0 <P>Prosit!

Guest De Soto Frank

Peter,<P>The only "Malvern retreat" I've been to was the Nat'l De Soto convention in 1998 wink.gif" border="0 .<P>However, I was in your neck of the woods for Das Awkscht Fescht (sp?) the other week...<P>I would like to know a little more about the Holy Week retreats, if you'd care to enlighten me off-forum.<P>Regards,<P>Frank McMullen