Sign in to follow this  
ScottD961

Total Newbie here saying hi !

Nice car Scott.

My sister had a Probe identical to the one you have. It was a nice car until her idiot boyfriend was driving it and the alternator went out. Instead of coasting off to the shoulder he left the car in the fast lane of Interstate 35. I don't think the rest of the story needs any explanation.

WOW ! Yeah I think I know what happened with that one. I wonder if he was related in some way to my ex wife...................................couldn't possibly be ! LOL I could tell you some stories though

Hi Scott,

Your '96 Probe looks a little like a Dodge Stealth or Mitsubishi Mirage in overall style. Maybe they copied Ford. What kind of antique cars and performance cars did you have before, that you mentioned on your original post?

Jeff

Jeff, I don't know if I can remember that far back ! OK, lets see, 1950 De Soto, 1970 GTO, 1970 GTO/455 4spd, 1970 GTO w/every option, 1970 GTO Judge RA III auto. 1972 Chevelle, 1967 Firebird w OHC 6 /4spd, 1967 GTO rag top, 1972 Grand Prix ( I don't remember if it was an SJ or L J ,1927 T touring,1981 Trans-Am t top, I think that's everything.

Enough to fill up a pretty big garage! I saw one of those overhead camshaft '67 Pontiacs once and thought they were pretty nice.

I should mention that I didn't have these all at once. The Overhead cam six was given to me by a friend I had worked with briefly. He had started his own body shop and when the building was sold he needed to get rid of the car.It wasn't running at the time. I put it back together and it was the Hipo version, car ran great. Of all the ones I mentioned, if I could have them back it would be a toss up between the De Soto and that car

There was a really nice ohc six at the Charlotte meet a few years ago. I think it was a convertible. Its color was about the same as your Probe.

They were interesting motors and I always thought it was a shame that GM forced them to drop that motor in favor of installing the Chevy six in it's place. The Chevy six was a good mot5or too but it was nice that Pontiac had developed this and had not one but two versions of the motor. That was kind of the beginning of the "corporate Engine " thing I guess.

BTW this is a great site! It's going to take awhile to catch up on all the things I want to read about here

That's a nice Probe, and someone has to start saving a few of those. You've had some awesome Ponchos, how long ago did you have most of them?

I know the Buick 215 motor was used throughout the Y Body line in the early 60s. Pontiac in the 60s also had the Canadian Nova Beaumont and almost a badged Corvair.

I had the Pontiacs for over 10 years. Not all at once but some of them overlapped. I sold the Trans-Am in 2008. There was also a 1977 Grand Prix that was gold with a Black Landau roof, t-tops, and every option available that year. Wierd thing about that car was the radio, it had an AM with 8track ! The 8 Track would play in stereo