Sign in to follow this  
ScottD961

Total Newbie here saying hi !

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. I'm a "Car Guy" always have been , always will be. I've had Muscle cars, and Antiques both. I kind of lost interest in cars for awhile due to my job situation and some annoying health problems. That and I couldn't find anything that really interested me. Time passed and I'm dealing with the health problem and my wonderful wife encouraged me to buy this little Gray metallic car. AND I LOVE IT ! LOL I realize it might be out of place here, and a lot of you may not like it, but it reignited my passion for the automobile. It's a 1996 Ford Probe Gt in Mint condition. Thanks for listening and talk to you all soon

Edited by ScottD961 (see edit history)

Scott

Welcome to the AACA forum. If you hold on to that car for just a few years, it will soon be eligible to be shown in AACA events. With your excitement and passion for old cars, you should consider becoming a member of AACA. If you send a PM message to me with your contact information, I'd be happy to send you a copy of the official publication of AACA. Or, you can view a complete online sample here (it might take a few seconds to load, but it's worth the wait):

http://digitaleditions.walsworthprintgroup.com/publication/?i=158297

Scott

Welcome to the AACA forum. If you hold on to that car for just a few years, it will soon be eligible to be shown in AACA events. With your excitement and passion for old cars, you should consider becoming a member of AACA. If you send a PM message to me with your contact information, I'd be happy to send you a copy of the official publication of AACA. Or, you can view a complete online sample here (it might take a few seconds to load, but it's worth the wait):

http://digitaleditions.walsworthprintgroup.com/publication/?i=158297

Sounds good Pm will be sent shortly. BTW I have my car titled as a classic, here in PA. However I can not find anyone willing to insure it as a classic. Any suggestions?

No one will insure it as a collector vehicle if it is being used as a daily driver. If it's not a daily driver, and if it's garaged, and if you have other vehicles licensed and insured for daily use, I would suggest calling the following:

JC Taylor

Hagerty

Grundy

Heacock Classic

By the way, let's see some pictures of your car.

Coming right up West! Actually I have to do it from my home computer as that is where the images are

No one will insure it as a collector vehicle if it is being used as a daily driver. If it's not a daily driver, and if it's garaged, and if you have other vehicles licensed and insured for daily use, I would suggest calling the following:

JC Taylor

Hagerty

Grundy

Heacock Classic

DAILY DRIVER ! No way ! LOL It is strictly a warm weather "FUN" car these days and It's stored when the weather is bad or it's winter, like now. I'll give them a call, thank you

The problem is that its not really old enough that most consider to be a classic.

Where I live a car has to be 25 years old for the state to recognize it as a classic, with some exceptions on some exotics. But with that said a 1989 car doesn't seem that old to me. let alone a 96.

As long as one is having fun, that is the most important factor. (and the state cant regulate that)

Yeah, you are right of course. I called the first two and no dice. I'll keep trying though.So now I have a car with classic plates and regular insurance ! LOL

What you can do during the winter months is drop all insurance except comprehensive. Then put it back on in the spring. That should save you quite a bit of money.

Welcome Aboard Matey! :cool: Gee guys -n-gals. Come to think of it... My old workhorse, a 1990 Chevy Suburban, will be 25 in about a year. :eek: Trouble is, it is still working for a living. Dandy Dave!

Welcome to the AACA. The club mission statement below does not require a member to own an antique car. We also do not require you to tour in an antique car. In a nut shell the only requirement to be a member is AN INTEREST IN ANTIQUE CARS. I joined the AACA a dozen years ago and one existing member only drove his modern car to the local chapter and region tours for the 7 years. They now drive a 75 car and enjoy it while he does something with the 3 non running antiques.

In most states, if you have a 25 year old car and license it as an antique, you have restrictions to live by. In Ohio you can not drive over 1,000 miles or so, you can only drive to shows, organized tours, to a garage. You cn not drive it as a daily driver, you can not drive it to work, grocery store, shopping, etc. In our state a 15,000 car antique can be inured for about $115 with antique plates. If you put regular plates on to avoid the restrictions, the insurance will be in the range of $500 to $600 or so.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Our mission statement: America's premiere resource for the collectible vehicle community!

Since its inception there has been something about the sight, sound, and feel of the automobile that stirs the imagination and the desire to experience the freedom of the open road. Whether it’s the clatter of the single cylinder brass era car or the heavy thumping of big block Detroit muscle cars that fuels the addiction, we are all kindred spirits. Vintage cars, trucks, buses, and motorcycles are our bond. Since 1935, AACA has had one goal: The preservation and enjoyment of automotive history of all types. From National Meets and Tours to Regional events, AACA is here to bring enthusiasts together through exciting National activities, friendship, and Antique Automobile… an award winning 100-page full color magazine.

We’re glad you found us. Stay and “nose” around our website and forums. We have something for everyone. You don’t have to own a vehicle or know how to turn a wrench. You can be involved at any level you wish. Whether it’s joining our judging teams, doing research in our vast library, or taking the family through the excitement of a National Meet or Tour, the possibilities are endless. Also make sure you visit the world class AACA Museum here in Hershey, PA the “sweetest city on earth.”

So, spend time with us and others sharing your passion. Join up. Its less than the price of a tank of gas and lasts all year. Then check out our Regions and Chapters to find one near you. Get behind the wheel of AACA. We know you’re going to love the ride.

Thank you for the the response everybody. My insurance company automatically lowers my insurance on the car in October and they don't raise it back up in the spring time until I call them to let them know I will be taking it out . West has already sent me a sample AACA magazine in my PM box and has sent me a AACA application. Is it OK to post pics of the car here, or do you have a thread where you can show pics of your cars? I am on another site for my Probe and we have two sections of the site where we can upload our pics. Just curious how you all do it here. I have been drooling over some of the neat cars I have seen on here so far !

You can upload here. No problem. You are free to upload photos anywhere you feel it is appropriate to the discussion.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for joining the forum.

Very nice vehicle!

Almost too nice to drive, but that's what they were built for.

Your weather there probably isn't the greatest today, so hopefully it can stay in the garage.

Hi Bill ! Thanks for the compliment. It's a driver for sure but only in good weather these days.Today we got.............drum roll please............ MORE SNOW ! LOL I'm enjoying the forum very much actually. It reminds me a lot of when I was a kid, and my parents would take me to the Hershey car show every fall. Miss those days.

Your car looks as though with a little detailing in the engine compartment, and probably underbody, it could win a First Place award at Hershey (as soon as it's eligible). Very nice, and a nice color, too. Not the ubiquitous red, black, white or blue. I've always liked those second generation Probes.

Thank you West. The engine is much cleaner now but I have no recent pics.That pic was from right after I bought it. It has been clayed and I put a coat of Wizard wax on it right after these pics were taken.I have been getting the paint detailed too. I installed cold air induction in place of that huge air filter box, along with some high performance plug wires that coincidentally are Gray ! The color is actually Gray/Green metallic ( factory name) and is kind of rare and is why I bought it. Most of the probes I saw when looking were red and I'm tired of going to meets and most of the cars a red ! ( I like red though everybody !) The underneath is CLEAN ! When I install the new headers and we redo the exhaust I'll post up pics of that.

Nice and clean. Keep it inside and out of the salt and it will be more fun every year. You will know you have arrived when someone steps up and says, " My parents had one of those. It was the first car I drove." :cool: Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Welcome to the AACA forum. I think you will find this a great place to discuss all things automotive. Great looking Probe by the way. My wife and I bought a 1993 Probe GT new back in '93. Seeing your pics brings back some pleasant memories. We kept the car 6 or 7 years and traded it in on a Chrysler 300M that the transmission went out on at 50,000 miles. Should have kept the Probe. Anyway; welcome aboard!

Nice and clean. Keep it inside and out of the salt and it will be more fun every year. You will know you have arrived when someone steps up and says, " My parents had one of those. It was the first car I drove." :cool: Dandy Dave!

..and thats when I will feel really old ! LOL Kidding. Thank you

Welcome to the AACA forum. I think you will find this a great place to discuss all things automotive. Great looking Probe by the way. My wife and I bought a 1993 Probe GT new back in '93. Seeing your pics brings back some pleasant memories. We kept the car 6 or 7 years and traded it in on a Chrysler 300M that the transmission went out on at 50,000 miles. Should have kept the Probe. Anyway; welcome aboard!

Hi Bill, I think all of us have had those cars we wish we never would have sold over the years. I know I have. 1950 DeSoto 4dr sedan, 1981 Trans-Am, 1985 Monte Carlo SS...........................