1926 Buick barn find

kgreen

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=863325

Perusing another forum and ran in to the above post. This guy found what is reported to be a '26 Buick that looks absolutely restorable as it is very complete. I'm alerting Buick owners to a potential opportunity to save a Buick rather than see it chopped and modded in the hands of others. This is not my car, I am not an agent, this car would be in better hands here than on the jalopyjournal forum. The guy already confessed to having too many other projects, can an avid Buick enthusiast pry this car loose?

Wow, first post!

I specifically joined this forum to submit the above thread. My first car was a 40 series 1940 Buick. I loved that car and have recently wanted another. I got stuck on Fords lately as they are a lot less expensive to restore. Someday I may get my Buick...

Guest Texas Old Car Guy

Thanks for posting this here - maybe someone will rescue the Buick and keep it from having the top chopped and a big block engine dropped in it. I posted my comments on the jalopy journal about saving a car that is complete and restorable rather than making a rat-rod out of it.

My remarks on their forum:

[TABLE=width: 100%]

<tbody style="margin: 0px;">[TR]

[TD=class: alt2]Originally Posted by fortynut viewpost.gif

I agree 'nothing is too nice to rod'. That said, I think cutting up a rare car that would be more valuable to posterity restored should be part of the equation in how it is dealt with by the owner. Most Early Fords can be had, reproduced in virgin metal from about every year that make desirable hot rods. Thus a '32 Ford Coupe is more abundant than any year early Buick. If children in the future are going to have any idea of what the past was like, there should be a few trees left standing, as well as a handful of old cars that haven't been 'hot rodded'. I know this is heresy to say, but it is true; and I know I won't win any popularity contests by saying it. But, somebody does. We need to save a few old cars in the condition they were found in, or restored to what they were like 'back when'. The same goes for representative vehicles from our passion, which is why I am looking at stuff in the 'traditional section'. Not all of us think it should have a small block Chevy and drive at Freeway speeds. Old is good, even with hot rods.

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

Fortynut:

Amen to that - knowing everyone on this forum is here for a reason . . . most of you like modified cars, I am committing heresy to say it but that car is too rare to cut up. I have a 1922 Buick Roadster which they only made 7,600 of 92 years ago and according to the Buick Club of America there are only three left of my body style. I'm restoring it back to original. There are plenty of rusted out bodies lying out in fields or in barns that can be rat-rodded. Think of the millions of Fords produced back in the day that are still out there waiting to be found. This one is complete and should be preserved. Sell it to a restorer who is interested in a complete car and use the money to either buy a body that you can rod with a new chassis, hot engine, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Fred

Appears to be a good candidate for a full restoration. Nothing seems un-repairable. A little rust and patina but it appears its all there. Far to nice to do the unthinkable and chop, channel or whatever those people do. We've lost far too many great cars to modifiers and hot rodders! Especially when you can buy a complete new metal hot rod kit of a Ford or Chevy to customize to your hearts content. Still can't get over the guy in the Northwest that hot rodded a Packard Darrin. Hopefully if you don't restore her she goes to a great home of someone that appreciates her and restores her to her former glory.

Maybe it's just that I see SO MANY crappy rods out there that I am always disheartened by comments like "just chop it and put a big block in it." Yeah, because that'll make it unique, just like all the others out there with chopped tops and big block engines. For every amazing rod, there are hundreds of crappy home-built machines that look bad and drive worse--I know, because sooner or later the owners show up at my shop trying to unload them. I don't particularly care what happens to this Buick, as even a restored one won't be worth much (in #1 condition, I bet it's barely a $25,000 car), but it's so tiresome that everyone seems to think that a chopped top, satin black paint, and a Mexican blanket on the seats is some kind of unique statement about automotive history. It's not, it's exactly what all the other guys are doing, they're just doing it to obscure cars so that they can pretend they're innovating instead of following the herd. It's almost like cars like this get rodded so the guy who built it can say he turned it into a piece of crap on purpose, thereby excusing his lack of talent and vision.

The car is actually a 1928 Standard Six Coach model 28-20.

Buick built 32,481 for domestic sales and 61 for export ( Dammann - Seventy years of Buick )

The radiator cap alone ( 1 year only accessory ) would probably bring $400. Way too complete to be considered hot rod material but as Matt mentioned is never going to be a high dollar car.

Guest captaincon

Would love to find something like that but most barn finds in the uk are fit for parts . You do get the odd gem but hey ho that's life

you says it's not a high value car but if its worth saving then why bring the value into it . If you are doing it because you love it and enjoy the car then do the best job you can with the funds you have my Edsel will not be worth a lot but their is something about the feeling of driving it that is worth moor than the restoration cost

it's the grin factor :-) its priceless

Edited by captaincon (see edit history)