Jayspartanburg's 89 TC Maserati project log/ build thread

The compressor wheel did make contact. 

So the Volvo turbo ended up being a t3 60 trim. I have that and the BMF in now. I have the head torqued, and I'm almost done with a temporary IC pipe setup. After that I have to find one more fitting and all of the braided turbo lines will be done. I should have it done either sometime this week, as time allows. I'm ready to boost again!

On 12/30/2016 at 10:45 PM, TwinCamFan said:

Aftermarket IC with that pipe set up then?

Negative sir. The 60 trim compressor outlet is straight instead of angled, so I had to use a curved piece of hose, and make it work from there. I also moved the BOV from the bottom hose to the top, so I had to switch that up a little also. As soon as I find a same side in/out IC and the money to snatch it up, I'll upgrade. Things have just been a lil tight over here.

• 3 months later...

Just a slight update until I get some things squared away. I'm currently running 225/40/18's up getting and 225/45/18's in the back. I have a air to water ic kit that I'm paying off, as will as a ported 655 head. The head is bare, so my +1 valves will meet it at the machine shop at some point. More to come soon..

Not sure tbh. I was thinking of 3.3 springs.

On 4/14/2017 at 0:49 AM, TwinCamFan said:

What valvesprings are you going to run?  Often we don't realize how critical the right springs are to a motor, too light and they float early, to heavy and they tear up rotatating parts and kill power...

Not sure tbh. I was thinking of 3.3 springs.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2017 at 9:43 PM, TwinCamFan said:

Hmm, I've heard of the Woodgrain package:D

:) That's the Home Depot vinyl special! 

I have some pretty cool things going on that imma get done as soon I get some free time. I've been pretty busy lately, but there's gonna be updates within the next 30 days.

• 4 weeks later...

Small update ?

I went ahead with the air to water installation. I had to switch to a smaller civic radiator to make it all fit with my setup. I'll be going to a large civic radiator when $ allows. It was getting a lil hot, so I flushed the water that was in it, and refilled with water plus Royal Purples version of Water Wetter. I also installed a oil cooler, and the combination has helped a lot with the temps. I Bought a catch can, but I have to go pick up more hose. Going to put a smaller battery in, and work on "cleaning up" the look of engine bay. I'll post some more here soon.

IMG_20170709_182719.jpg

IMG_20170709_182713.jpg

IMG_20170709_182748.jpg

IMG_20170709_182731.jpg

• 2 months later...

I went back to a full size radiator. There car is down for the winter for repairs and upgrades. I'll add a pic of what it looks like later when I can get to my phone. Going with a fully ported +1mm valve 655 head. Not sure on the turbo yet. I have a 60 trim t3 on there now, but I'll most likely go with a t3/t4 turbo when I replace the head. No sense in taking it off more than once. Also getting new control arms, new rack, and new power steering pump and lines. I will also have the airride going as well. It's been awhile since I didn't need to daily the car, so hopefully we can get this right the first shot. May freshen up the block and put a clutch that can hold the power at the same time.

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Bill Reichert said:

I'm so old, I wash the car during every rain storm.

You and me both, OLD!  Can't wash my car too often, only rains once or twice a year and then just enough to get water spots on the car. 

My "California Duster" works fine though! 

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2018 at 3:09 PM, Reaper1 said:

Wow...that looks really nice. I've tried to polish before and while I can do it...I don't like it because of how long it takes. You said you were trying something different? Want to give up your secret sauce?

Nothing super secret. The water outlet was done with a spiral wheel and brown bar, then a loose wheel with white bar. The intake was done the same, but I had to sand it some. I'll have more updates on the car soon, I'm just wanting on some more parts to come in ??

Edited by jayspartanburg (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 6:57 PM, wild bill said:

Hey Jay, love watching your work and progress.

thanks Bill!

I have a Holset HE341 turbo and downpipe on my engine stand at the moment, I'm just patiently waiting on the head to get back from the machine shop. More updates soon ?

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Update time 🤷🏽‍♂️? So, I've grown ridiculously tired of starring at the car in its current form, so I started working on it today! Here's a Parts list of what's going on.

Ported +1 655 with comp springs 

HE341 w/ 4 inch to 3 inch downpipe

Electric exhaust cutout 

2.5 inch exhaust after cutout with Magnaflow cat and muffler  

TU 4 puck purple plate clutch 

Autopilot V2 air management 

Poly Bushing sway bar 

Poly Bushing control arm bushings 

Moog ball joints 

New inner and outer tire rod ends 

New power steering pump 

Known good rack 

New oil pump 

New piston rings 

New rod and main bearings 

New timing belt

2 Soundqubed hds2 10 inch woofers 

.. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things  🤷🏽‍♂️...

Right now I'm in the process of stripping down the engine bay so I can paint it, the engine, and the suspension parts. From there I plan on working on the suspension and engine in the shed and getting everything back in the car. I would LOVE to have the car back together and reliable by the beginning of March, I just have to apply myself. I hope you guys are looking forward to some major progress finally happening, because IT'S.. ABOUT.. TO.. GO.. DOWN!!!

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have been following your build progress for a long time. I love my 89 TC and love to drive it. Yes, I have changed some things like installing a 5 speed trans and removing the Teves ABS system, making this a useful and drivable car getting 30+ MPG. 
I realize you are a lot younger than myself and love to work on your car.
I hope you get all that work done this year so we can all see it complete.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...