Sign in to follow this  
jayspartanburg

Jayspartanburg's 89 TC Maserati project log/ build thread

also redying bordaux leather so no fades, same time ill do 3000gt leather seats and add same shade velour in centers(sun gets that sh.. hot) for comfort

Car is down again. I'm thinking either a torque converter bolt or flex plate. Getting it towed to my friend/mechanics house tomorrow. He's gonna get it right and I'll be fixing the Daytona. Also got all the speakers in minus the tweeters. Took pics. Still have to do the radio, amps, and sound deading material.

Sent from my N9510 using Tapatalk

Jay, Want to tell you the TC looks really nice. One thing I would suggest is a new accumulator on the brake system as it looks like an original one from the first pictures in this thread. Keep up the great work. Bob

Jay, Want to tell you the TC looks really nice. One thing I would suggest is a new accumulator on the brake system as it looks like an original one from the first pictures in this thread. Keep up the great work. Bob

Thanks. I haven't really studied the brake system much less inspect it, but i know the abs doesn't work. Hopefully I'll get on it next month.

Edited by jayspartanburg (see edit history)

It's been about a month so I guess it's update time? The problem I had with the car was the number 3 rod bearing that was in the oil pickup. The rod and crank both had damage. I picked up a turbo 2.5 CB short block. Engine is in the car now just have to put everything around it in there. New rod bearings were put in even tho the ones that came out looked good. Also upgrading the alternator. The flex plate was also cracked and was replaced with a used one. Hoping to finish up this weekend. Thinking of putting a few gauges in there. Maybe where the CD player would have went? I'm not sure was thinking maybe oil pressure and vac/boost, or maybe wideband( I have a mtx-l) don't know yet, guess I'll figure it out once it's running. Have a good set of t2 rods, just need a crank and the 2.2 will be built for the Daytona Pacifica..

iT LOOKS SWEET. YOU DO GREAT WORK.

Thanks!

150 miles on the 2.5 and so far so good! Burned the 283 cal so I'll see how that goes..

Been busy doing other stuff today, but I put a new oil switch from O'Reillys today and that fixed that gauge issue thankfully. I'm going to do a compression test this weekend and get someone to lend me a oil pressure tester so I can reference it later if need be. I think I'm still going to go with a alternator eventually, just don't know if the alt in there can handle 2 batteries. Going to do the big three whenever I put that system in. Once I get the brakes sorted all the obvious bugs when I bought it will be taken care of. Also, the rims I put in there are going on the Daytona and I'll save some money up to buy the TC new ones.

What alternator do you have currently? Likely, you have a BOSCH which is a good alternator, but hard to rebuild yourself. I would recommend the Chrysler 40/90 or the 50/120. They are the ones with a black plastic cover on the side where the wires connect. On these, you can replace diodes and brushes without removing the alternator from the engine. Any alternator can handle 2 batteries as long as they are connected in parallel. The important thing with alternators is that they should not be used to charge a dead battery as that puts a greater load on the diodes especially and can burn them out. So 2 dead batteries could cause twice the harm.

Dead or very low batteries should be charged on an appropriate slow charger.

I have a ND 120 amp alternator to install, May install it this weekend. It has a remanufactured older style on there now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

I have a ND 120 amp alternator to install, May install it this weekend. It has a remanufactured older style on there now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

That should work well. Just do not overload it.

Replaced rear springs with a used set from a 89 Lebaron gtc. Replaced throttle body with a 52 unit. Replaced a few vac lines. Pretty soon I'm going to have to put off working on the TC and work on the Daytona..

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk

Rick Diogo rebuilt my 16v and installed an analog boost/vacuum and a digital air/fuel mix Roger

• Like 1

This is where I have my boost/vacuum gauge set up- undermounted just right of the steering wheel. Looks like it would be obscured but works perfect for me. I can view through the empty space on the steering wheel between 3 and 6 o'clock position, and it's well out of the way of glare from the sun, plus it isn't sitting up on the dashboard to block my view. I wasn't too keen on poking around with the electrical at the fuse access so I wired the gauge up through the stereo's switched power.

post-101311-143142604151_thumb.jpg

The gauge pod itself is a universal 'dash mount' single gauge pod, gauge is a 7-color model, I haven't decided if I like the blue or red LEDs yet. Both available from GlowShiftDirect.com

It's been awhile since I've given an update, but I've got some good and some bads news. The 2.5 gave up on me. I was riding top down earlier this year, loving it on the SC backroads and when i got on the I85 on ramp I gave it some gas and when I got up to approx 70 MPH the car cut off. Looked under the hood and saw the crank pulley was dangling. It snapped straight off! I have pics somewhere (I think) but I still have the broken snout as proof. I also saw a broken rod and some other stuff later in the year when I needed to borrow the TC's oil pan for another car. I'll be pulling the drivetrain out soon and reinstalling the original 2.2 T2 CB engine and a a520 3.50 fd 5 speed. The engine and trans are ready to drop in, so hopefully it won't be long. Once I get the clutch pedal in, I'll really be all in and determined to get it done. I'm going to go back thru my thread and post whatever mods I've done since.

Alright a lil update and what's going in the car. Ported 782 head, 550cc injectors (actually rated at 43.5 pounds) that are rebuilt/flow-matched, 255 Walbro, socket SMEC, ported exh mani, slightly ported 1piece intank, MTX-L wb gauge, wiring to center console for MPScan, 52mm TB, and 3 bar map. I have it all except for the map sensor so under the hood should be set. 

I thought it was here, but I guess it's in a separate thread but I have the sound system installed. All pioneer speakers with the front set being components. The inside run off of 4 channel amp and I also had a couple of RF P2 12's in a box in the trunk but with I'm going to have to do redo some stuff because..

I'm going airride with the TC! :)  I'm going with a older airbagit unit.. I know these designs never had good rating because they we're prone to leaks at the o-rings, but I've been incontact with a rep there and they're going to send me a couple of sets of rings. Strut bags mounted GR-2 struts. I tested them earlier in the year and they did good but I had to locate some o-rings which was the hard part. I have a playstation style controller that will eventually be replaced for something that matches the car better. I have the factory wheels back on but would eventually like some 18in lace wheels. I'm still not sure if I'm going to recover the front seats or swap in a different model. I think that's a nice lil update..

It's been awhile since I've given an update, but I've got some good and some bad news. The 2.5 gave up on me. I was riding top down earlier this year, loving it on the SC backroads and when i got on the I85 on ramp I gave it some gas and when I got up to approx 70 MPH the car cut off. Looked under the hood and saw the crank pulley was dangling. It snapped straight off! I have pics somewhere (I think) but I still have the broken snout as proof. I also saw a broken rod and some other stuff later in the year when I needed to borrow the TC's oil pan for another car. I'll be pulling the drivetrain out soon and reinstalling the original 2.2 T2 CB engine and a a520 3.50 fd 5 speed. The engine and trans are ready to drop in, so hopefully it won't be long. Once I get the clutch pedal in, I'll really be all in and determined to get it done. I'm going to go back thru my thread and post whatever mods I've done since.

When you say "gave up", it sounds more serious than that. Are you saying that the crankshaft broke or the pulley bolts let go?

It reads as though the cast crank totally detonated. When you got up to 70 MPH, what gear was that in, 1st?

The engine should be able to tolerate 70 MPH in 2nd gear without any problem. Just asking  :rolleyes:

When you go to put the clutch pedal in, are you planning on replacing the bracket that the brake and clutch pivots from?

There is an 'up-stop' on clutch equipped cars that allows for cable adjustment, that IS NOT on the bracket of cars with automatic transmissions. Take a close look.

Good luck with the conversion to the 5 speed. 

I was thinking of making a bracket similar to the one thats in the picture that has the"neutral"switch in the pic, but out of thicker metal. I'm hoping that'll work. As for as the engine, the snout of the crank broke right off. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it. I saw the crank broken in at least one other spot. I'm going pull the engine Saturday, so I'll take pics of that too. Hopefully there something worth salvaging. BTW I got the pic off of a thread on TD where someone did a 5 speed swap in a van.

Looking at the pic, I'm going to use a bolt and then a few tack welds to make sure it doesn't spin. Ill cover everything up to make sure I don't burn anything. JS