1940 LaSalle 40-5067 Convertible Coupe For Sale

************************************SOLD*****************************************

I have for sale my 1940 LaSalle Series 50 convertible coupe model 40-5067. I purchased this car a few years ago from the second owner who purchased it in 1959. He had the car repainted black in the late 1960’s over the original long key green iridescent color. He drove it up until 1986 when he no longer had the ability to maintain it and parked it in his machine shed. It sat from then until 2011 when I purchased it. I had the intention of fully restoring it and got as far as rebuilding the chassis. Since I did not have time to restore the body I undercoated it and married it back with the newly rebuilt chassis. I installed a motor & transmission that were removed from a running 1940 LaSalle that got a small block chevy transplant. The engine runs good and the transmission shifts well. I have the original matching #’s engine that came from the factory with this LaSalle, it needs a rebuild, it was froze up from sitting. I have the car in driving condition with the exception of the lights and gauges working. This car is very solid and is the perfect candidate for a fine restoration. There is very minimal bodywork to be done on this car. The only areas of rust that need to be addressed are the front floor pan by the area where your feet rest and 2 small areas on the left rocker. The rest of the car is completely rust free. This car is complete as it left the factory with the exception of the wheel trim rings, I have only two to go with the car. These are stately cars riding on a very comfortable 123” wheelbase. This car comes with many extra parts, please see the pictures in the links below for all that is included. Enjoy it as is with a little fine tuning or finish the restoration I started. I have a clear title in my name and also the original 1959 title from the previous owner. I have many old pictures and documents for this car that will be passed to the new owner. The picture of the green car is what the color combo would have looked like from the factory. This is the last year that LaSalle was made so here is your chance to own a very rare convertible that will appreciate over time very well.

Please call Jim at 815-252-7247

I am asking $28000 for this great car.

Here is a list of what has been done since I have owned it.

• Completely rebuilt brakes with new linings, master cylinder and wheel cylinders

• New stainless brake lines & new rubber lines

• New stainless parking brake cables

• Stripped and rebuilt chassis

• Rebuilt rear end

• Rebuilt transmission

• Buffed out the black lacquer paint (paint is shiny but has checking and popping all over it)

• Front and rear sway bar bushings and links

• Restored and lined fuel tank

• Restored & rebuilt radiator

• Restored driveshaft & new u-joints

• All new wheel bearings

598 of these 1940 LaSalle Series 50 Convertible coupes were produced with a list price of $1335.00

This cars firewall tag decodes as:

• Style 40-5067 (1940 LaSalle Convertible coupe)

• Body No. 310 (Body #310 out of 598)

• Trim No. 28 (Red leather interior)

• Paint No. 6 (Long key green iridescent)

I ordered the build sheet from the records division of GM and here is the information it provides:

• Delivered to The Valley Cadillac Corp., Rochester NY

• Color combination – 6 – Long Key Green Iridescent with long key green wheels

• Upholstery – 28 – Red Leather

• 5 wheels

• Wheel color – Vincennes Red

• Tires – 7.00x16 royal whitewalls

• Less running boards

Accessory group C (5 wheel):

• Flexible wheel

• Automatic lighter

• License frames

• Trim rings

• Grille guard

Other options that are on the car are as follows:

• Defrosting & ventilating heater

• Windshield washer

• Automatic radio & antenna

Here is a link to all the pictures of the car and parts - http://s265.photobucket.com/user/silamanajik/slideshow/1940%20LaSalle

post-79454-143142387171_thumb.jpg

post-79454-143142387162_thumb.jpg

Edited by beardbros (see edit history)

This should make a nice driver, or a moderate restoration. I don't need either right now, but this would be a candidate if I did.

It will find a good home.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...