A lucky find from 1932

Tigersdad

Can you tell us how you came to the conclusion that those were prewar frames. I've always been under the impression that the triple rib joints were postwar, and the single rib joints were prewar. Your frames look like postwar frames to me.

West, here is a 1940/50's frame on the left and evidently a prewar on the right with the single rib as you mentioned. I have seen both the single and triple rib. Could they both have been prewar? The ones I got were right out of the box clearly marked. A mystery for the ages! Thanks for the help on this! Jaypost-58342-143142386222_thumb.jpg

post-58342-143142386219_thumb.jpg

It's a mystery to me now. I always thought the singles were prewar, and the triples were postwar. So I don't know any more. And I don't know who to go to for the definitive answer. I have a few of the triple ribbed ones on the shelf, and a single ribbed one on my 1940 Packard. I'd say that if you are sure the ones you have are original to the packaging, and are sure it's prewar, then you have the proof that I've been misled.

Nice find.

Bob and West -

Now you have me wondering if the frames were inadvertently put in the wrong box when the dealer went out of business? Each pair had the instructions, and the tags from the early years that were in the box. The Cadillac frames were slightly different. Seemed beefier, but they too, had the 3 ribs. I'm going to have to track this down. Wondering if the boxes were stamped incorrectly? Bob, when do you think the 3 ribbed first appeared? Have you seen then prior to the war years? Thanks! Jay