1964 Paint Colours Engine Compartment

Glenn McMahon

Hi Gents

Was wondering if anyone had a list of the proper colours for all the stuff in the engine compartment. For eg. is the air cleaner assemble semi gloss black? I found a nice post Ed Raner did for the 63. Do the colours stay the same for 64? All responses appreciated.

Glenn McMahon

ROA#12929:confused:

Glenn

I was hoping one of the first gen guys would respond to your request.

I am not aware of an existing reference for correct restoration colors on the 1st gen Rivs......or any other year for that matter. This is a question that gets asked from time to time and am sure would be a great reference for ROA to have on file.

I know that type of data is easy info for owners of mainstream classics to obtain but not the Riviera. Probably due in part to the average owner demographic who doesn't concern themselves with concourse type restoration which is what drives compilation and printing of the type of info you are looking for.

I will suggest you directly contact either one of the two ROA Tech Advisors listed in the Riview for 63-65. They will be able to answer your specific questions.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Jason

Thanks for you response. I saw an old post and Ed Raner told me gloss black. I have some rattle can one coat gloss black epoxy. When I stripped the air cleaner I couldnt tell if they primed it at the factory before painting or not? This paint I have says it doesn't require a primer. Didn't you restore a later year RIV and the story was in the Riview?

Regards

Glenn McMahon

Jason

Thanks for you response. I saw an old post and Ed Raner told me gloss black. I have some rattle can one coat gloss black epoxy. When I stripped the air cleaner I couldnt tell if they primed it at the factory before painting or not? This paint I have says it doesn't require a primer. Didn't you restore a later year RIV and the story was in the Riview?

Regards

Glenn McMahon

Glenn,

Yes there were a few articles on the 66 I am restoring. They are on the website members section. Don't know for certain about the 64 but know on the 66, I can't think of one item in the engine bay that had a primer coat from the factory. Too costly and there was little emphasis on appearance or finish longevity in that area. The 66 air cleaners were about the only thing "gloss" under the hood. Maybe 64 was the same. Many I have seen at the meets are gloss.

When I see how some of the (cheap) finishes held up for so many years, I wonder why I primer things especially with the quality improvements of todays paints vs 50 years ago! I often use it though because primer will offer a margin of error in surface prep to help eliminate fisheyes providing for a better final coat........but technically speaking, that often leads to over-restoration. The human nature in many of us can't bear to duplicate the sloppy work done by the factory!