1988 Cutlass Calais SSC?

The Continental

Anyone know anything about these? What does SSC mean? I'm going to be helping with the sale of a one owner 118k mile 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais SSC and was wondering what kind of values these have. Is this something that would be worth putting on here or ebay for an Olds collector? Interior is excellent, but head liner needs replaced. It has some hail damage, but all glass is good. Paint is good minus some peeling on the hood. Rear bumper has a split in it that wasn't fixed very well. A/C compressor needs to be fixed.

3d5u.jpg

mcyt.jpg

04he.jpg

npvu.jpg

In my opinion it is just another older car at this point. They made a ton of them. NADA guide shows retail in fair condition at 1300.00 and yours has several issues. You did not mention which engine or transmission it has but I do not feel it would make much diference. I do not know what SSC is but would guess something like "supersport coupe" maybe referring to the rear spoiler and a few trim pieces. You might do better looking for someone local wanting a work or second car if it runs ok. Good luck finding a buyer.

I'll hazard a guess that SSC was one of the dozens of regional marketing cars Olds (and others) produced for different sales zones.

The hail damage hurts it. Except for Quad442 and W41, these cars have no collector following and can't really justify sinking a lot of money (such as would be required to fix hail damage) into them.

Unless it has a Quad4 it is just another used car and even if it is a Quad4, only certain people would care.

hate to be a naysayer but if your friend can get a $1000 offer he had better take it and run as I think that would be pushing the upper limit on value.

Bob

Unless it has a Quad4 it is just another used car and even if it is a Quad4, only certain people would care.

hate to be a naysayer but if your friend can get a $1000 offer he had better take it and run as I think that would be pushing the upper limit on value.

Bob

Well, the emblem on the front fender says "Quad 4"...

Olds produced GMO Quad 4 Calais in 1988 as a way to showcase the then-new Q4 motor (recall that the Q4 also powered the Cutlass Supreme Indy Pace Car that year). I'm guessing that this is a GMO car with a dealer-added SSC logo. It's mildly interesting, but not a high-dollar rare and collectible model.

Guest turbofish38
Well, the emblem on the front fender says "Quad 4"...

Olds produced GMO Quad 4 Calais in 1988 as a way to showcase the then-new Q4 motor (recall that the Q4 also powered the Cutlass Supreme Indy Pace Car that year). I'm guessing that this is a GMO car with a dealer-added SSC logo. It's mildly interesting, but not a high-dollar rare and collectible model.

1987 was the first year for the Q4. And it was 1987 Olds Calais exclusive. So an 87 would be the show case and not 1988 IMO. In 1988 it was available across the entire N-Body line. Grand Am,Skylark,Calais. So nothing special as far as a special/limited edition from GM anyway. The pictured car appears to be a dealer add-on kit. Rear spoiler and decals. Again nothing special. Just another used and used up used car. The factory "hot rod" Calais in 1988 would have been the 442 and International Series coupes. Along with a HO Quad4(manual trans only) they also recieved the FE3 suspension and 14" wheels along with ground effects and decals. Later models recieved 16" wheels.

I did find it interesting that there was a 1st gen Olds N-Body parked with a 3rd gen Olds N-Body in that picture.

1987 was the first year for the Q4. And it was 1987 Olds Calais exclusive. So an 87 would be the show case and not 1988 IMO. In 1988 it was available across the entire N-Body line. Grand Am,Skylark,Calais. So nothing special as far as a special/limited edition from GM anyway. The pictured car appears to be a dealer add-on kit. Rear spoiler and decals. Again nothing special. Just another used and used up used car. The factory "hot rod" Calais in 1988 would have been the 442 and International Series coupes. Along with a HO Quad4(manual trans only) they also recieved the FE3 suspension and 14" wheels along with ground effects and decals. Later models recieved 16" wheels.

I'm afraid you need to check your facts. The Q4 was publicly announced in early 1987, using the Aerotech among other mechanisms, but production versions were available with the 1988 model year cars (on sale in late calendar year 1987). The 1988 Cutlass Supreme Indy Pace Car also used the Q4. The LG0 180 HP version of the Q4 was first released in the 1990 model year, and the unfortunately-named Quad442 was only produced in the 1990 and 1991 model years. The LG0 motor was called the "W40" in those applications and there was a 190 HP "W41" offered only with a five speed in the 1991 model year, with 204 of these cars being built. That same 190 HP motor was also used in the 1992-93 Achieva SCX.