Unknown engine code

Guest clamshells

Guest clamshells

Anyone know of a 401 or 425 with a engine code stamped upside down 44? Yes "44" was stamped on the passenger side upside down.

FYI: The font didn't match the drivers side series of digits or any font I've seen. Looks like the metal stamp from a set I have in my tool box.

Dealer installed replacement?

Thanks,

Clams

Edited by clamshells (see edit history)

Anyone know of a 401 or 425 with a engine code stamped upside down 44? Yes "44" was stamped on the passenger side upside down.

FYI: The font didn't match the drivers side series of digits or any font I've seen. Looks like the metal stamp from a set I have in my tool box.

Dealer installed replacement?

Thanks,

Clams

A picture is worth a thousand words

Tom Mooney

Guest clamshells
A picture is worth a thousand words

Tom Mooney

Weather permitting I'll have the car home in a couple weeks, take a couple pictures and post them here.

Guest clamshells
Are there any letters upside down in front of the 44?

The engine code font IS different from the VIN font.

My buddy is a retired mechanic, sharp as a pin and a small guy. I am too big to crawl up in the engine compartment so he did. The motor was very clean but he used some carb cleaner on a rag to clean the area and used a flashlight. I was not satisfied with a "44" so he went up again and double checked.

He said it s a upside down 44. It is a upside down 44. I called him and double checked he said NO there are no digits before the 44 and the 44 "just looks wrong".

Guest clamshells
Don't know why you'd need to "crawl up" in the engine compartment to see the numbers; they're on the top of the block at the front. Where exactly are you looking? Here's a list if engine numbers that have a 4 in them.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/ident_engine_59-62.php

I'll post a pic when I get the car home.

Looks as though the block could be a earlier 401?

• 1 month later...