Sign in to follow this  
1935du

New guy here

God bless you, 1935du, and good luck in your recovery efforts.

Benefits of AACA Membership.

That is a very nice car. So glad you plan to keep it original. Hope its just what you need for therapy from your fire.

Thanks for the moral support. I hope to start pulling the motor this weekend.

My plan is to get it pulled, clean up everything. Change the water tube and all freeze plugs put all new gaskets and seals in. Im not going to repaint anything. I think it would look better that way in an original car.

There are a few things that I will replace that are missing from under the hood. 1) passenger side inner fender or side cover not sure what to call it. 2) fuel pump shield. 3) like to find some original style vacuum hose for the wiper motor. this one is broke off the firewall. I will take lots of pics before I start to pull it apart. I will post some engine pics and would like you folks to look at them and let me know what is not correct on it, so I can get it back together as original as possible. Mark

Thanks for the moral support. I hope to start pulling the motor this weekend.

My plan is to get it pulled, clean up everything. Change the water tube and all freeze plugs put all new gaskets and seals in. Im not going to repaint anything. I think it would look better that way in an original car.

There are a few things that I will replace that are missing from under the hood. 1) passenger side inner fender or side cover not sure what to call it. 2) fuel pump shield. 3) like to find some original style vacuum hose for the wiper motor. this one is broke off the firewall. I will take lots of pics before I start to pull it apart. I will post some engine pics and would like you folks to look at them and let me know what is not correct on it, so I can get it back together as original as possible. Mark

I commend your efforts, do you have any literature for the car which might include parts manuals or salesmans info. If not I am sure I can help if you need something in particular. A model specific ( as apposed to a Masters ) parts manual would do you a world of good.

I may even have 2-3 of them for the 35 and if so might consider parting with one or at the very least getting you a copy of one.

I would suggest picking up a copy of the Dodge "Master Maintenance Manual" which covers '34, '35, and '36. Has lots of breakdown drawings and how to info along with all specifications. It should have a pink cover (at least mine did). Also very helpful is the "Motor's" "Auto Repair Manual' which covers all makes from '35-'49. The '35's and '36's are very similar and you should be able to get help with most of your questions on this forum. I might have a right inner fender shield that would fit and maybe a fuel pump shield. I think they would be the same as the '36.

Never seen a pink cover?? I have them in blue, would you mind snapping a photo of front cover and posting it here. Pink cover makes me think Canadian. I have seen some of their manuals a redish orange tone.

Good suggestion BTW

I bought mine from a local publisher "Crank'en Hope Publications "in Blairsville Pa. about 25 yrs. ago. I don't know if I could get a good photo as the cover has faded quite a bit and the printing wasn't very dark. It is a U.S. version as there is nothing about Canada noted in it. Might be that the printer just picked that color for the cover to designate that it was a reprint. The cover reads 1934-1936 Dodge Passenger Car Master Maintenance Manual then it shows 3 drawings of the hood ornaments along with the year an series numbers. I believe I paid about $35.00 for it then. I'll try to get a photo soon.

I bought mine from a local publisher "Crank'en Hope Publications "in Blairsville Pa. about 25 yrs. ago. I don't know if I could get a good photo as the cover has faded quite a bit and the printing wasn't very dark. It is a U.S. version as there is nothing about Canada noted in it. Might be that the printer just picked that color for the cover to designate that it was a reprint. The cover reads 1934-1936 Dodge Passenger Car Master Maintenance Manual then it shows 3 drawings of the hood ornaments along with the year an series numbers. I believe I paid about $35.00 for it then. I'll try to get a photo soon.

No problem, no need to spend the time, for some reason I was under the impression that it was not a re-print and I was curious to see what version it was. Thanks though

Well I did not start tearing it down to change core plugs. My heart just is not into old cars anymore. Im considering putting the car up for sale. It is a very nice original with new Coker WWW tires. Runs great except for bad core plug. I paid more than I should have, but that is ok. Do you think it would be worth $ 8000.00 I would be taking a loss but at this point I could live with it. Mark

Sorry to hear that, but if it doesn't give you any enjoyment then I would sell it, too. A two door sedan is a bit more desirable than a four-door because it's a bit harder to find, but sedans are always going to be on the low end of the price list. If that was a coupe, it would go for 8 grand in a heartbeat, but I think that is probably top end for your car, even though it is a nice original. Mid-Missouri has a lot of car lovers, but most of them are pretty cagey when it comes time to lay the money down. They'll drive a hard bargin. Please try to find someone who will appreciate the fact that this a straight, original car - I'd hate to see it cut up. If I didn't have my 32, I'd be on the phone with you today - you're only 120 miles away.

Well I did not start tearing it down to change core plugs. My heart just is not into old cars anymore. Im considering putting the car up for sale. ... Mark
OH NOOOO!!! Wish I could talk you out of that decision.

OK. I'm gonna say something that I will probably take some flak for but here are my thoughts. Don't sell it just yet. Even the idea that you came this far is a big plus in my humble opinion. I think if you got it in a running condition and spruced up the paint a bit you would start to build a long lasting interest in this great car.

Back in the day, owners did not do all the "correct" repairs either, like in this case remove the engine to replace the rear freeze plugs. They used "treatments" all the way from chicken eggs to professional products to stop coolant leaks. Why not try some of those "from the day" ideas first so that you can start to drive the car around and enjoy it for a while. Once you can do that you will start to hear the raves of people congratulating you on a "great old car" and you will get spurred on to do more with it! I think you will be surprised at how many people will be giving you the "thumbs up" and asking questions while you gas up. It sometimes almost gets annoying - NOT! But do baby steps here. You will thank yourself later.

Try this... (OK. Here comes the flak.) There are chemical preparations out there that can be used in engines to stop leaks. "Bar's Leak" ( http://barsproducts.com/catalog/brand/all/component/cooling ) has some good products out there and have for close to 120 years. Check out products like that and do some internet research on comments about them. This may be the way to start on the leak issue. That way you can be driving. It will get your "old car" juices" flowing without a lot of time, expense and effort now. Then once you are hooked (you will know when that happens) you can make plans for doing some of these repairs "the right way" for long term reliability.

Another idea would be to clean up the paint, just like any old time owner would have done, by using a rubbing compound to clean off the surface of the original paint and get some of the original shine back. Maybe you could have a "Polishing Party" and have your friends over so each can take a space of the car and shine it up. Along with having a nice get together, you personally will not get overwhelmed with work and can enjoy the process. Plus all your friends can take a small stake in the project and may take an interest in helping out as time passes.

I had a professional "dry chemical upholstery cleaner" (very little water is used) do the interior of my car's original upholstery and it came out nice. All the mouse smell is gone and now it just has that "old car smell" that is very unique to these older cars - but the way it was!

All that for not a lot of cash and two things should happen. You will get the car looking nice - and original, and it will be able to move like a car so you can get the feel of it and have some fun. In the mean time you can take in all the comments about "keeping it original" or "do a frame off restoration" and see where it leads you. Your car as it is will allow you to jump either way. But like I said earlier, it is so nice now and a bit more rare that this may be a good one to keep original! ;-)

Very good advice, I have been at this car hobby for 30 years. My wife tells me it is an addiction and I will never be able to get away from it. She is most likely correct. She is against me getting ride of the old car. We have restored about 75 cars in the past 30 years, none as old as this. Mainly 60's and 70's muscle cars. I know if I let it go it would be impossible to replace. So Im going to take the good advice given here and get this old car back on the road where it belongs. Thanks for the moral support......It helps

Very good advice, I have been at this car hobby for 30 years. My wife tells me it is an addiction and I will never be able to get away from it. She is most likely correct. She is against me getting ride of the old car. We have restored about 75 cars in the past 30 years, none as old as this. Mainly 60's and 70's muscle cars. I know if I let it go it would be impossible to replace. So Im going to take the good advice given here and get this old car back on the road where it belongs. Thanks for the moral support......It helps

Glad you're going to hang in there. Neat old ride best of luck!!

These cars beat the musclecars hands down on simplicity alone. Restoration process is much less time consuming and because of the original manufacturing process a much more thorough job can be accomplished.

I was also a musclecar guy but will never go back.

Yes....it IS a very nice car!

Well I decided we are not going to keep this car. Im just not into cars much anymore. It is a very nice driving car. New WWW tires with new tubes. All the lights work, heater works, glass all good. original interior. But it needs freeze plugs replaced. Car is located in Jefferson City, Missouri. $7500.00? 573-694-3902 I thought I would let you all know before it gets put on Ebay..Mark

OHOOooo. Too bad! With all of your experience you probably would have been a good fit for this car. But once the decision is made... I know it must have been a tough one.

Only thing WE can ask is that you try to do your best to sell to a restorer and not a rodder. Yes, I know you can have the wool pulled over your eyes by a buyer, but this car is SUCH a nice original that rodding would/should almost be a crime. I think you have the price at a good starting place. The thing to remember is that it is a Dodge and not an over priced Chev or Ford! As you can see from this Forum, there are people out here that would have an interest in restoring or at least owning a piece of history so you should be able to do OK.

A side thought... since you ARE the current titled owner, maybe consider getting a copy of the "Build Record" for that car from The Chrysler Historical Collection. There is A LOT of interesting information on that record and would impress the possible purchasers with the historic background of that particular car which could both help uphold the value AND help keep the buyer thinking historically about the car.

Good luck. And if you should change your mind, remember the Forum and all the help you can get from the people here!

1936 D2, I do want the car to be preserved or restored. I agree that it would be a shame to have it cut up. My problem is after restoring cars for 30 years my passion for it has left me. When i was about 17 a list was made of all the cars we wanted. Over the past 30 years we have owned all the cars on the list plus a few, my wife kept count and she says we have restored 75 cars. Cars from 64' Impala SS 409, 1963 Galaxie factory light weight, 69' six pac Superbee, 68' hemi Road Runner on and on.....I have tried to force myself to keep at it but that is not the right way to do it. As far as the price for the car it really does not matter what it would sell for the money really does not matter to me, I have about 10,000.00 in it. It never bothered me what we spent on them it was about saving a part of history. if it were going to a good home with someone who likes cars as they were born that is more important than the money to me. The past 30 years have been great, as i have a wife who has been by my side getting greasy and dirty can't put a price on that.

Edited by 1935du (see edit history)

I understand. My barn stetcher worked kind of funny last year, it was a barn shrinker and burned to the ground. That is what really pushed me to be done with cars. The price is very open to offers. I looked at the auction site, that is this car! I bought it of Ebay from a guy in Kansas. I do have copies of past titles from back in the 40's I kind of wondered were it came from. Now a little history is added. Thanks

That looks like Herb Bolyard's old Dodge http://www.pagelrealtyauction.com/auction-100612-bolyard.html Hope you find a good home for it. I just wish my "wallet stretcher" and "barn enhancer" was working.. Benny

I understand. My barn stetcher worked kind of funny last year, it was a barn shrinker and burned to the ground. That is what really pushed me to be done with cars. The price is very open to offers. I looked at the auction site, that is this car! I bought it of Ebay from a guy in Kansas. I do have copies of past titles from back in the 40's I kind of wondered were it came from. Now a little history is added. Thanks

So sorry to hear about your fire. I collect a lot of periodicals and auction bills mainly cause I like to see were a car was in a certain time and who had it. I'm really envious that you've got to restore so many cars in your time. I just hope I could get my 6 cars done in 30 years. And I hope you get the bug again cause

this hobby is like no other. Benny

Here is a deal, This is a 1 time offer. Promise you will not find it listed aywhere after this post, unless a flipper gets it.

Car is located in Jefferson City, Missouri that is right in the middle of the state. You will not find another 35' Dodge in this condition. at this price. For an all original car it is nice. yes it has dings and a few minor dents in the front fenders. but it has all original paint. so NO hidden bondo. I think $ 5000.00 would be very fair and a steal for someone. I paid $9000.00 and put $800.00 worth of tires on it. I never felt i paid to much for it.