Sign in to follow this  
1935du

New guy here

Well Im glad to have found this site. We have been restoring muscle cars for about 30 years. Our shop burned down last year and all was lost. Built a new building and decided to start working on something older, I have allways wanted to.

Late last year a 1935 2dr Dodge DU touring sedan showed up on Ebay. It was a pretty nice original car with all original tan interior and factory green paint. So we bought it. I have added to its 44,000 miles since then. But taking a car from a barn and putting it on the road has been full of little problems. 80 year old hoses needed changed, along with water pump, tires were dry rotted, you know the kind of stuff. So we work on it and drive it. I believe in keeping cars as original as possible.

But this thing has 80 year old paint and along with it a few small dents and dings. Im having a tuff time deciding weather to repaint it. and repair some of these bad areas. Or just leave it as an original 80 year old car?

I have some good pics of it but they are to large for uploading. I will get it out when the snow clears and get some new pics that can be uploaded to site. ( i do not have a program on computor to alter my pic size ) Mark from Missouri

Edited by 1935du (see edit history)

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Welcome to the site. Sounds like a very nice car. If you would like to send me the photos, I can re-size them and post them here for you. John

keiser31@charter.net

Keiser31 Thank you for your offer. Pics are on the way. I live in the country and still have dial up so it is slow going. Mark

I decided to pull it out today and warm it up, i had just changed some hoses and water pump and wanted to run it and get the anifreeze full. It started right up even though it been sitting in my cold garage. But I have a new antifreeze leak. It is leaking from around the edge of the bellhousing. There seems to be holes on the lip of the bellhousing. It is not leaking down from the head. Are there freeze plugs on the rear of the block?

Welcome to our forum. I like my cars original, unrestored and unmodified. That's a great looking Dodge you have and rare too.

Yes, there is a freeze plug on the back of the block and that is probably what is leaking.

<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>

Welcome to the forum. There is a huge knowledge base here and people are always willing to help or offer an opinion.

great looking car.

heers

Ian

Taylormade, Thanks for the information. I was really hoping to not have to tear this car apart. But looks like the best thing to do would be to pull the motor and change all gaskets, seals, freeze plugs and water tube. My problem has allways been ( well it is tore this far apart might as well keep going )

If that's original paint it sure would be nice to leave it. Car looks pretty good, and as you say if you start taking it apart one thing leads to another. Why not pull the transmission, easier then the engine. You could access all the rear plugs from there, maybe look at the clutch, and be driving pretty soon. Besides if you paint it the interior will look worse. Then the chrome.

I ran into the same problem with a 48 Plymouth I had. I finally ended up having to take the entire front clip off. I'm not an expert on 35s, but from you pictures, you might have enough room to work on that plug - looks like there is some working room between the engine and the firewall. If not, you'll have to take off the hood, remove the radiator and grill surround, disconnect the driveshaft and take the motor and transmission out as one unit.

On the 48, I removed all the old freeze plugs, then used a power washer through the holes to blast out all the rust and gunk. There was a ton of it! I think your engine may have a water distribution tube also (not sure when Dodge went to that, my 32 doesn't have one), so see if that has rusted out and replace it if necessary. With the engine out, you can clean and repaint as necessary. I had my generator, water pump and starter rebuilt at the same time. This way you can avoid taking apart anything else as the fenders, headlights and such will all stay in place.

That is a very cool car, I'd keep as much of it original as possible!

<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

Great looking car Mark. I agree with your choice to keep it as original as possible. You'll find a world of information here, also help if needed. Glad you found your way here.

good luck

Dale

another Missourin

There is a new appreciation for all original cars now. Your car looks like an " as found car" from the late 40's. You've got my vote for leaving the cosmetics " as is".

Mark, That is a really cool original car you've got. If you can't decide what to do about the restoration at this stage of the game, I would just get the mechanicals re-done at your pace and drive it for a while. You may be very surprised what everyone may say about the "only car here" at whatever show you're at, "is a real survivor". In time you may decide to go for a new paint job, or a full blown restoration. I'm really sorry to hear your shop was lost in a fire. That's a devastating loss. Glad to hear you're up and running again. Best of luck!!, Pete.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I had spent some time at another site, but when someone found a nice restorable car they all wanted to chop it, channel it, butcher it. I did not belong there.

Just my 2 cents. Guys ,does not the toe board come up and off this car? I don't have a '35 car but my '35 truck has a removable toe board. It may be easier ,for the time being, to just remove the toe baord and pop the Welsh plug and bang in a new one and use the car some more before making any big decisions.

Just my 2 cents. Guys,does not the toe board come up and off over the gear shift lever? If so he could just pop out the Welsh plug and bang in a new one and use the car some more before making a big decision about rebuild.

Just my 2 cents. Guys ,does not the toe board come up and off this car? I don't have a '35 car but my '35 truck has a removable toe board. It may be easier ,for the time being, to just remove the toe baord and pop the Welsh plug and bang in a new one and use the car some more before making any big decisions.

That is fine unless the plug is inside the bellhousing.

It appears the plug is behind the bellhousing. iam thinking of pulling the front clip off and removing the motor and tranny as a whole. Then just clean things up and reseal the motor with all new freeze plugs and put a new clutch in it. Then try to get the front clip back on without messing up the original paint.

You don't have to pull the hole front end (clip) off. Leave the fenders on and just take the hood and radiator off. Then the engine/tranny comes out as one unit.

Oh My! What a nice "Survivor"!!! In this current age, I would do my best on a car in that shape to clean it up as bestas possible and keep it as original as you can. I think you will be surprised at how well it will look with the proper cleaning and maintenance, and yet still be original!

I tend to lean with the thoughts of "nearchoclatetown" and "DodgeKCL".

Yes, the front floor heel and toe boards come out rather easily, the side splash pans and lower inner fender panels also can be removed from underneath. That really opens up the area around the engine. Again, a good cleaning up will improve the looks a lot and will make diagnosing and fixing issues that much easier and more pleasant.

I would guess that you guys have a lift in your new shop. That makes transmission and clutch work much easier and more accessible. That may be the way to go.

Yes, there is a water channel in the block behind the water pump. The radiator and grille must be removed if you are thinking about replacing this item.

Again, my vote is to keep the car looking as much original as possible and just cleaning up the finish etc. Many people are looking to see "what is original" on these cars so when an unmolested one shows up that can be a major blessing! Besides, this one is so nice! Just keep it mechanically fit and have fun with it!

Could be one of the plugs has a hole and the crankshaft is slinging the antifreeze up through the separation between the block and bellhousing.

Could be one of the plugs has a hole and the crankshaft is slinging the antifreeze up through the separation between the block and bellhousing.

Yes, that is what i was thinking also. I guess for a car close to 80 years old it should be expected to have things like this. But im suffering from a severe lack of motivation, since our shop burned last year. We lost 3 cars in that fire it really is tuff to mentally recover. Plus we lost 30 years worth of tools and just have a minimum of stuff replaced. But it needs to be fixed.

Keiser31: Thank you for posting the pictures.

1936 D2: You and I think along the same lines. I really like our cars to be ( as born ) That was one reason I bought this. I did not even have the new shop built yet. We had a friend store it for us till it's new home was built.