Interest In Starting a Non-Geographic V8 Era Chevrolet Region

Skylark4367

I'm posting today to gauge interest in starting a non-geographic region dedicated to V8 era (1955 and up) Chevrolet cars. I feel these vehicles are underserved by current clubs. I find this strange since they're among the best-selling cars of all time. I'd like to produce a fancy newsletter/magazine featuring historical articles and member cars for the members. The newsletter would focus on these wonderful Chevrolets. Before any of this happens, I'd like to determine if there is interest in forming such a region. AACA rules state we need 15 members, spread out geographically to start a non-geographic region. Please respond to this post, or email me at JetSmooth61@optimum.net. If I receive enough responses, we can work out the details of starting this region.

Yes, 1955 and later Chevrolets that are restored to original specs and unrestored survivors are underserved by present car clubs. The VCCA's focus is on 1954 and earlier cars, especially prewar cars, the National Impala Club is practically nonexistent (I belong to both clubs), and the remaining clubs that include these cars are focused on modified cars.

I think a non-geographic chapter in the AACA that focuses on original spec V8 era Chevy cars is a great way to recognize them.

Guest bkazmer

at first I also thought it mildly ridiculous to consider later V8 Chevies "underserved", but JS makes a point in that while they are common, the proportion that are hacked, whacked, and otherwise mangled is high. So an "interest group" for keeping the cars original is less crazy than it first may seem. Certainly with the extensive repro market on these cars they are among the easiest , from availability, to keep original.

Yes, 1955 and later Chevrolets that are restored to original specs and unrestored survivors are underserved by present car clubs. The VCCA's focus is on 1954 and earlier cars, especially prewar cars, the National Impala Club is practically nonexistent (I belong to both clubs), and the remaining clubs that include these cars are focused on modified cars.

I think a non-geographic chapter in the AACA that focuses on original spec V8 era Chevy cars is a great way to recognize them.

I think you are correct.

Guest bkazmer
Certainly with the extensive repro market on these cars they are among the easiest , from availability, to keep original.

For some reason this sounds redundant.

I think you mean sounds "contradictory" or "oxymoronic"

perhaps "restored" or "stock" is better than "original"

As you know, the terms "original" and "restored" can be a pretty wide range of appearances and conditions, so consider where the "line in the sand" would be drawn, so to speak. I have a '73 Impala Custom and understand where you're coming from. My Chevy is a daily driver w/ 253k miles, though it just received its first DPC certification @ Palm Springs last year. If you're looking for cars that would be in HPOF or regular class judging, then unfortunately I'd be out. I chose DPC since my car has some subtle safety upgrades for daily driving.

Being in leadership roles in a few other car clubs, I can tell you that newsletters/magazines are labor- and money-intensive affairs. To start, I'd suggest using this forum/thread and Antique Automobile for articles and features. Use existing "infrastructure" and an excellent one at that.

Any V8 era Chevy that's in the AACA will be welcome if we get enough interest to start this. We need 15 interested members, spread out geographically. I have a few already, but I posted this to look for more. Thank you for the suggestions regarding newsletters and magazines. I'm thinking of publishing on-line to save printing costs.

I'm in, this is long overdue! The idea of restoration and preservation has been skewed over the years. Now painting a car a non original color and putting a later model 350 is called restored. While these cars are abundant original as delivered in any condition are less and less to be found. I understand that the VCCA is thinking of selling out and including street rods/modified/lowriders, while if that is your thing that's cool, but it is not mine. Guys the repro market is also living off the new 'resto rods" I guess looks original but it not, just another excuse for cutting up a good car.

I have a diverse collection of V-8 era Chevrolets, and yes even a few four cylinders. I was at a VCCA event last year with my Cosworth Vega, and several "members" asked how come I did not put a V-8 in it? and if they had it they would............ time to move on and find guys with the same interest. Jetsmooth, I will send you a PM so you have my info, Thanks for taking on the effort!

Certainly with the extensive repro market on these cars they are among the easiest , from availability, to keep original.

For some reason this sounds redundant.

I think you mean sounds "contradictory" or "oxymoronic"

perhaps "restored" or "stock" is better than "original"

Sure, I will go with any of those.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Bob,

The so-called Chevrolet clubs in existence ignore restored or original 1955 and later Chevy products. They focus on modified cars or pre-1955 cars. The AACA recognizes the original and restored cars, but being such a large club, it can't focus on one era of one make. A non-geographic region would be a great way to recognize and share enthusiasm for these cars among like-minded members. We'd include all Chevy products from this era.

I think that if a need is there and interested members are willing to do the work then go for it!! I am a member of three regions, one non-geographic and four marque clubs. each has it's own focus and I'm glad for all of them. This isn't a sector of the car hobby that I represent (outside of my sad old 78 C-10) but I know many who would be all over this!! Good Luck!

Just to clarify, the intent is to include all Chevrolet cars, Corvair, Chevy II, Chevelle, Camaro, Monte Carlo, Vega, Chevette, anything through the 25 year cut off. I know these cars have specific clubs, but most of these clubs focus on modified cars.

I've received instructions and the package from AACA Headquarters for starting the Non-Geographic AACA region for Chevrolet cars built from 1955 to the 25 year AACA cut off. We need 15 current AACA members to start the region. Once we have 15 members I'll submit the paperwork to AACA. The board of directors will review the application and vote on whether to approve the region. We need to submit an application listing our members plus a set of bylaws - the package I received has suggested bylaws that we can use.

If you're interested in being a charter member of this region, please send me an email with your name, city and state, and AACA membership number. My email address is jetsmooth61@optimum.net I'll enter the information on the application. Although this will be a non-geographic region, we still need to list a president, vice-president and secretary/treasurer. I'll volunteer for one position and I plan to be the newsletter editor. I'm going to make the newsletter something special.

We also need a name for the region. My suggestion is the Jet Smooth Chevrolet Region, but I'm open to suggestions. We also need to determine the region dues. I suggest $25.00 per year, but am also open to suggestions. A non-geographic region won't have many expenses, but we'll need a treasury for any expenses that occur, such as web site maintenance or newsletter production.

This region will celebrate, through an on-line newsletter and possible web-site, Chevrolet cars including all full-size models, Corvair, Chevy II, Chevelle, Camaro, Monte Carlo, Vega, Chevette, etc. up through the 25 year cut-off. While there are clubs for these cars, most of them cater to modified cars and street rods. The new region will focus on AACA eligible cars, meaning original specification cars.

Please pass this information to any AACA members you think would be interested in joining.

Thank you.

This region will celebrate, through an on-line newsletter and possible web-site, Chevrolet cars including all full-size models, Corvair, Chevy II, Chevelle, Camaro, Monte Carlo, Vega, Chevette, etc. up through the 25 year cut-off. While there are clubs for these cars, most of them cater to modified cars and street rods. The new region will focus on AACA eligible cars, meaning original specification cars.

Please pass this information to any AACA members you think would be interested in joining.

Thank you.

i guess I need some clarification. You said the purpose of this club was to focus on the 55 and later Chevrolet V8 cars that were original and yet you list Corvair, Vega and Chevette which none ever came with a V8. I was (might still be) interested since I own a Corvette but just wondering about the focus on the non V8 cars.

As far as name I would think you would want something that really identifies the Region's focus - not sure how many people will get JetSmooth Region. Maybe something like "Late V8" - nothing fancy but tells the purpose.

And I agree on the dues - $25 for a local region where you meet, etc and have monthly events is probably fine, not so sure about a geographic region. Other than the newsletter, which can be online, there isn't much expense.

Bob

Edited by Bob Hill (see edit history)

If this does include SS 454 Chevelle's, yes I am interested.

All Chevelles, from a six up through the SS454 would be included. The cars we're interested in are from the V8 era, as West Peterson noted above. It doesn't matter what factory engine they have, as long as they're from 1955 and up. If you'd like to be a charter member, please email me your name, city and state and AACA member number. My email address is jetsmooth61@optimum.net.

$25.00 is just a suggestion. We can make it lower if it will help get the region started.

In reply to the last post, SS454 Chevelles will be included along with six-cylinder Chevelles. We're looking to include all 1955 and later Chevrolet cars.

We've had some good interest in this idea, we still need a few more interested members to include on the application to AACA to start the non-geographic region, so please email your name, city and state, and AACA membership number to Jetsmooth61@optimum.net, or send a personal message through this forum.

Once we get this going, we'll make the non-geographic region a fun place to learn about and discuss V8 era Chevrolets. We'll start with an on-line newsletter featuring members cars (regardless of condition), historical articles written using Chevrolet factory literature as source material, and anything the members wish to read about regarding these cars. If we get enough members to support a web-site, we'll start one.

Please help choose a name for this region, some suggestions are: Nomods, See the USA Region, Space Age Chevrolet Region, Jet Smooth Chevrolet Region, and V8 Era Chevrolet Region.

As far as names goes, as I said earlier, since this is a non-geographic region and one formed for a particular group of cars, the name is critical. I think the name Chevrolet has to be in it. I don't think V-8 should be part of the name because then to potential members, they may think that they have to have a V-8 car to be a member (since it is including all 54 and above Chevrolet cars) . If "Late Great Chevrolets" didn't refer to 58 - 64 model years that might be a good name but also there used to be a Late Great Chevrolet Club but don't know if it is still in existnence.

I am not real creative when it comes to naming clubs but just think the name has to be something that gets potential members attention and interest.

Bob

Edited by Bob Hill (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

At first, like Joe P, I thought "who needs another Chevrolet club?"

After reading thru this thread and remembering that truly correctly restored cars are a minority in Chevy-world, great idea! I have often wondered why the vast majority of Chevy people simply cannot leave a car as built.

My Toronado Owners' Association newsletter came yesterday and there was discussion about including 67-later (FWD) Eldorados in our group, as those and 63-later Rivieras seem to get much the same dismissal by the Buick and Cadillac clubs as the V8 Chevy guys have mentioned here. They mentioned that the Buick crowd thinks only 50s hardtops are Rivieras, and the Cad group is similarly biased toward 53-66 Eldorados. The E-body and FWD versions get little if any respect. So, the snobbery isn't specific to any one marque.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the interest and replies. We have enough charter members now and I've submitted the region start-up paperwork to the national headquarters. I hope we'll have a positive decision at the next board meeting. If you're interested in joining, please let me know.