Why Philadelphia

Dynaflash8

Just happened to have this on the computer for some future use. Howard suggested someone could find it in the 57th post under "Why the West is Being Lost"<BR> Therefore for anyone interested, the full test of that article follows:<BR> Why Philadelphia? <P>Howard V. Scotland, Jr.<BR>Chairman - Grievance (1994) <P>Have you ever asked, Why does the Annual Meeting always have to be held in Philadelphia?<BR>You would not be the first AACA member to raise this issue and probably won't be the last.<P>There are a number of strong and valid reasons why the Annual Meeting is ALWAYS held in<BR>Philadelphia, not the least of which is that the AACA constitution states that it shall be held in the<BR>Philadelphia area. Of course the constitution can be amended, but should it? The following are<BR>some compelling reasons for NOT making a change.<P>1. Tradition. This year we held our 48th Annual Meeting in Philadelphia, and there was a record<BR>attendance. One member came from Alaska and he thought nothing of it. Others came from<BR>California, Arizona and throughout the Western United States as well as a large group from<BR>Florida and the South.<P>2. It is affordable. If you think is a strange statement, try Boca Raton, Florida or Phoenix,<BR>Arizona at this time of year <P>3. There is an extensive group of members who are experienced in putting together the Annual<BR>Meeting. They have, and continue to seek, qualified assistants and back up people. When<BR>someone wishes to retire, becomes unable to continue or dies while chairing some aspect of the<BR>Meeting (this happened to an annual Meeting Chairman a number of years ago)~ there is a<BR>qualified successor ready to take over. We ~~~~ don't want our annual Meeting to become a<BR>traveling amateur night, and that would probably happen if we were to move from area to area<BR>every year.<P>4. By having the annual Meeting at the same facility every year we are able to work with a<BR>known organization when negotiating prices and facilities. To assure that we could hold our<BR>meeting in the desired time period at a new location every year, we would have to book a facility<BR>three to four years in advance. No hotel will commit to a firm price structure that far ahead, only<BR>to the fact that they will book that time period for you, with firm prices to come later. When that<BR>time comes and the facility offers unsatisfactory terms it is too late to go elsewhere. You are<BR>trapped and they know it. Also could you get a new group of our members each year to commit<BR>to work four years in advance, and would they still be there when the Meeting time arrives?<P>5. Philadelphia is within 400 to 500 miles of a great number of our members Probably no other<BR>major city, and certainly not one outside of this part of the country, has as many members within<BR>that distance.<P>6. Philadelphia is served by a multitude of airlines, unlike many other one and two carrier cities.<BR>It is located on the major rail corridor between Boston and Washington with direct connections<BR>to Florida.<P>7. Philadelphia is within 100 miles of our National Headquarters in Hershey. Every year our<BR>Executive Director brings a trailer load of necessary items to this meeting. 80 to 90 National<BR>award trays, thousands of pounds of necessary manuals and other publications, some of the staff<BR>from Headquarters and much more.<P>8. Moving the Annual Meeting around the country would create a logistical nightmare to say<BR>nothing of the costs involved. We need our headquarters personnel at the Annual Meeting, but<BR>we also need them in the office immediately before and after the Meeting, so they cannot be<BR>driving around the country. Flying them to various locations is out of the financial picture.<P>8. For the past two years we have presented our seminar program in different areas of the<BR>country and will continue to do so. In 1992 it was held in the Southeastern Division, in Alabama,<BR>and in 1993 in the Western Division, in California. This year it will be at the Meet in Clear Lake,<BR>Iowa in June.<P>9. There is a core group of seminar presenters within reasonable traveling distance of<BR>Philadelphia. We would probably not have that talent pool available to uS if we moved the<BR>location of the Annual Meeting each year.<P>In conclusion, our Annual Meeting works well and has for 48 years. We recognize the<BR>arguments relative to moving the annual Meeting around the country, but it is our sincere belief<BR>that the reasons for- staying in Philadelphia are valid.<P> | Home |<BR> © Copyright 1995, Antique Automobile Club of America <P>

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Earl, Do not move it. I can drive and be in my room in 3 hours. That is why I go, if were in say LA, I would not go. And, yes, most of the 60,000 plus are east of the Mississippi. SalG

OK<P>#1 To remind the people from Florida how lucky they are. grin.gif<P>#2 So it can't possibly be at the same time as any other old car activity north of Florida. smile.gif<P>#3 To share the hotel with the Gay and Lesbian Task Force as we did a few years back. confused.gif<P>That's my three. Now can anybody come up with any real reasons for holding it in February other than it is a slow time of year for our hobby? ~~ Howard<P>

<P>#4 The snow is usually deeper in February, and its fun to watch the cars on the next door roof garage disappear.<P>#5 Room rates are cheaper, read the back of the door, mine said $250/night last year.<P>#6 The ladies of the hobby have some nice stores to visit and nice historically sites to enjoy. Men too.<P>Got a couple of more but want to stay on Dan's friendly side..<P>Chuck

# 7 The hookers, panhandlers, and windshield washers dont work outside when it as cold as it is in Febuary.<P># 8 The fresh coating of snow covers up all the garbage laying around.<P># 9 The ice that clings on your beard is screaming agony.

The reason I would think that the Annual Meeting is held in February is because it is early in the year when clubs starting their new year and with new officers. The Annual Meeting is a great learning experience for new officers of a region or chapter.

I have a "rebuttal" to the rationalization for staying in Philly year in and year out. I realize my efforts will probably be fruitless, but... smile.gif<P>My point-by-point response:<P><BR>1. ?Tradition.? <P>So was riding a horse? :-) <P>2. ?It is affordable?? <P>Give me a break! Cost me $650 to flight out this year! Howard, you can't honestly say it's affordable for westerners to attend... can you?<P>3. ?We don't want our annual Meeting to become a traveling amateur night??<P>Does that mean that all the National Meets and Tours held in different places each year are ?Amateur Meets?? Pretty lame justification in my humble opinion.<P>4. ?By having the annual Meeting at the same facility every year we are able to work with a known organization when negotiating prices and facilities?? <P>See my note for #3. <P>5. ?Philadelphia is within 400 to 500 miles of a great number of our members...? <P>So is Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit, or Washington DC (just to name a few). <P>6. ?Philadelphia is served by a multitude of airlines? is located on the major rail corridor??<P>So does Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit, and Washington DC. And how many people actually take the train to the Annual Meeting? On top of that, the weather is better in many of these locations.<P>7. ?Philadelphia is within 100 miles of our National Headquarters in Hershey.? <P>Touché<P>8. ?We need our headquarters personnel at the Annual Meeting, but we also need them in the office immediately before and after the Meeting??<P>Will an extra day of travel really hinder their ability to run the office? And how much is it gonna cost, really? <P>8. ?For the past two years we have presented our seminar program in different areas of the country and will continue to do so. ?<P>This need not change.<P>9. There is a core group of seminar presenters within reasonable traveling distance of Philadelphia.<P>They would be just as close to Atlanta, Cleveland, Detroit, or Washinton DC (just to name a few).<P><HR><BR>Glad i got that off my chest! smile.gif<P>Peter<BR>

BruceW ~ Great thoughts smile.gif<P>peterg ~ You almost leave me devoid of words to respond. That makes you #1 on the miracle workers list. smile.gifsmile.gif<P>Peter Are you ready to put on an Annual Meeting in your area, cover all the bases and assure attendance by 800 members? confused.gif<P>To all of you following this: I really do want to respond to Peter point by point, but need time to organize my answers. Since I started the discussion on Western representation, I want to follow through, but I don't want to go into this aspect of it casually and without serious thought.<P>I will return later on this thread with my thoughts. They will probably receive mixed reviews.<P>hvs

Hi Guys,<BR> Why is it that I have this gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach that the continuation of this thread will only cause further "Geographic Polarization"? Maybe I'm a traitor to my fellow westerners,but in this case; the "Status Quo" benefits the majority. Please proceed (if we must)<BR> with caution! Tom

Tom Deering's post really made me stop and think. I believed that because I have lived in both the East and West, and served on the AACA Board of Directors for an equal number of years while living in each division, I could objectively address this issue. I still think I could, but is there any point in it?<P>Peter put forth his arguements yesterday and I stated mine in 1994. We are diametrically opposed in our ideas as to what is best for AACA regarding the Annual Meeting location.<P>It is all out there for you folks to read and draw your own conclusions as to what is best for AACA. I STRESS "What is best for AACA" and NOT what is best for each of our own personal interests.<P>I have said enough on the subject of the Annual Meeting. I'm outta here on this one. <P> smile.gif Howard smile.gif

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Hi all, I go the the Philly event because it is close to home. I am also a life member of both Model T clubs and have been a member of both for 12 or 13 years. I went to one annual meeting of the MTFCI (International) because it was in Columbia, Maryland, just of I-95 this past Jan and I slept at my sister's house in Fairfax Station, Va. Next year it is in the Windy City area, I will not go. Both T clubs move around every year, not an easy task. Also the International has a much smaller affair. The thing is to have it in an area where as many people as possible can go. Maybe we should have it in Philly one year and say the MidWest another and switch off.<BR>The fact that is Philly in Feb is OK for me, in 1999 I went to Philly and then on to Fla for a vacation and the Orlando Winter Show. But, I am sure jac and past pres Janet R. just love Philly in Feb, since they live in Fla.<BR>SalG<P><p>[This message has been edited by SalG (edited 09-13-2000).]

SalG,<BR> You just summarized one of the fundamental, stereotypical differences between easterners and westerners. Westerners are more nomadic and like to see different places. In our household, we regard the biannual Classic Thunderbird Convention as an opportunity to stay in some area that we normally would not visit. This hobby has been a big factor in causing us to having visited 48 of the 50 states. We haven't been to Hawaii (too much like San Diego) or Maine (it's not on the way to any place). Take a chance and go to some of these distant meets. You will find most of us do wear shoes and don't wear loin cloths, and the huts we live in even have running water and electricity! I have never been to Philly in my life; but this neat hobby is going to provide the opportunity to do so. Hey! If the Giants and the Dodgers can get outta<BR>town; anybody can! Warmest Regards, Tom

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

Deering, I have been all over the east coast, but never west of Harrisburg, Pa. Yes, I know it great out west, seen it on TV and friends pictures. I most go west some day. Good idea. SalG

Howard (and everyone else)<P>Certainly wasn?t looking for an argument, or to "polarize" the club. Just airing my frustration that I can?t attend the Annual Meeting due to cost and distance restrictions? and pointing out that some (but not all) of the rationalizations for staying in Philly are kind of silly.<P>If the club could find a way to make it more cost affective for me (and other remote members), I?d attend every year... just like many of the eastern members are lucky enough too be able to do.<P>With that said... I'll drop the subject.<P>Peter<P>P.S. Elegant exit from the subject HVS... you'd make a great AACA president some day with those political skills. (Oops... you were already!)<P> tongue.gif<BR><p>[This message has been edited by peterg (edited 09-13-2000).]

OH YEA! One More Thing!<P>Howard, you posted the following question to me: "Peter, are you ready to put on an Annual Meeting in your area, cover all the bases and assure attendance by 800 members?"<P>I can?t assure attendance... but you know DARN WELL that my hand would be the first in the air to DO THIS! <P>Since 1993 I've been Meet Chairman for two meets, Registration Chairman for two more, AACA Webmaster, Master Editor Award Winner, and still managed to become a Senior Judge. I'm notorious for overextending myself for the AACA AND for being able to deliver!<P>TRY ME HOWARD! I DARE YOU! tongue.gif<P>Peter<P>P.S. Howard, if you remember, I was an apprentice judge under YOUR TRAINING in Roswell NM in 1990!<P>

Peter, ~ There are three things I want to say in response to your last post.<P>#1 It was really not meant as a PERSONAL challange. It was meant as an area challange, poorly worded on my part. Charge that one up to the heat of the moment.<P>#2 I cannot accept your DARE as I am long out of office and out of any position of power and/or influence. My last hurrah is this forum, and I like it that way.<P>#3 Ask Father Ron if he thinks there is any chance that I would remember ANYTHING about Roswell 1990. Now that you have let the cat out of the bag, if you ever make a judging error you can blame it on the teacher. wink.gif<P>Peter, I have always respected your ability and been positively amazed by your capacity for taking on responsibilities and getting the job done. You have my vote along with Sal's smile.gifsmile.gif Howard

Guest SalG (Sal Grenci)

HVS, My vote is not worth much. I voted for Carl Boyd because I bought a Model T Depot Hack body from him. Other than that I had voted blind based on the bio info. Now I can vote for people based on knowledge of them. Peter G has to be a great guy, all the work he has done for the site and hosting it. He puts his $$ where his mouth is. SalG

Howard,<P>I know it wasnt a personal attack... :P<P>I was just glad to be able to air my opinion on this issue.<P>As to Roswell NM... i've been there twice, once to play my first college football game against the Military Institute there, and once to Judge for the first time for the AACA. Therefore, I formally request that we hold the next annual meeting there... wont that be a first? rolleyes.gif<P>Peter

Peter, As to Roswell----<P>Things there have kind of gone inactive since John Dwyer passed away. He was the spark plug in that Region. frown.gif<P>Nothing against Roswell, but I think it is a little inaccessable. grin.gif<P>Surprisingly I am not totally negative on the subject of an Annual Meeting outside of Philadelphia. I haven't been to one there myself for four years. It would, in my opinion:<P>1. Have to be in a substantial city with good transportation accessability. <P>2. It would have to be at a good hotel with reasonable rates and adequate convention facilities. <P>3. Winter is the logical time for such an activity as it helps to link two years of the hobby activities together. Also it should occur before the start of the new hobby season for administrative and other related reasons.<P>4. In your part of the country or anywhere else where the winter weather is good, numbers 2 and 3 are generally incompatible.<P>I guess then another arguement for Philadelphia then would have to be that although it is a lousy time of year weatherwise, in a sometimes not too pleasant city, it is affordable once you get there. Of course, the same could be said of Buffalo in February. shocked.gif<P>I thought I was going to get off of this subject. blush.gif I'll try again, but please Peter, don't stimulate my thought processes anymore smile.gifsmile.gif ~ Howard<BR>

OK ~ Here's two more votes for Tuscon and I<BR>also move that the Doubletree be investigated<BR>as to rates and date availability.<BR>NOVAMAN: Put Nov. 1-3, 2001 on your calendar for the SE Divisional Tour. Alabama is not that far from where you are.<BR>Patt