What is best and safest way to remove rust on gears

Guest dgriff8923

Do a Google search for "electrolityc rust removal". In a nut shell you will need a plastic bucket or tub, a battery charger or dc power supply, a little washing soda or baking soda in a pinch and a piece of scrap steel (a expanded steel mesh works great and a little copper wire to hook things togearher. This method works very well and wil NOT dammage the base metal in any way. I have used it on everything from engine parts to tools and a sorts of od steel and cast iron stuff. One thing to remember is this method PNLY works on ferris metals (steel and/or iron) no aluminium, copper, brass etc...

Another nice thing is it has no toxic stuff to dispose of, just dump it out and rinse out the bucket when done.

Do a Google search for "electrolityc rust removal". In a nut shell you will need a plastic bucket or tub, a battery charger or dc power supply, a little washing soda or baking soda in a pinch and a piece of scrap steel (a expanded steel mesh works great and a little copper wire to hook things togearher. This method works very well and wil NOT dammage the base metal in any way. I have used it on everything from engine parts to tools and a sorts of od steel and cast iron stuff. One thing to remember is this method PNLY works on ferris metals (steel and/or iron) no aluminium, copper, brass etc...

Another nice thing is it has no toxic stuff to dispose of, just dump it out and rinse out the bucket when done.

Wish we had a "like" button on this site still as I'd use it on this post. Electrolytic rust removal is probably perfect for those gears, should not affect any case hardening on them and will not remove any excess material.

As a lubricant formulator, for transmissions and axles, I would recommend removal of corrosion as it leads to pits which can cause gear failure. But, at the same time, remember that changing the profile of the gear tooth can also lead to gear noise and ultimate failure. Be cautious with any abrasive rust removal methods.

Our glass bead cabinet has been in use for 35 years, probably averaging 1 hr/day or more all those years. It still has its original expanded metal tray that gets blasted every time the cabinet is used. Trust me, glass bead blasting hardened gears will not change their hardness or profile.

I am telling you. The molasses mixture works really well on light rust.

6 parts water and 1 part molasses from the feed store. Check it in a week (might stir it up once in awhile), if there is still rust let it sit another week. It will not attack the metal but eliminates rust.

Rinse well and get some wd40 or the likes on it right away.

Wont eat thru paint or anything like oil or grease.

You may get some mold on your mixture, but this is a completely clean and green system.