1923 steering gear cover interchangeability

I am trying to take up the play in the steering gear in a 7.5 to 1 steering gear box. Studebaker switched to a 10 to 1 box mid year. With this change they added an adjustment nut for endplay in the cross shaft. I have a junk box of the 10 to 1 ratio. Is it possible to fit this cover onto the 7.5 box? Or does someone have experience taking up the play in the older boxes in another fashion (a thinner gasket)??

I think your ratio's are a bit off. At 10:1 the steering gear would only be 2.5 turns lock to lock. Your gear should be 6- 6 1/2 turns or 24:1. As far as adjusting play you need to make sure you haven't had any bearings fail. If they have you can adjust the gear all you like and still have play.

I don't know if the cover will interchange without seeing them, but if you can't get the play adjusted I could rebuild the gear. It would come back to you fully adjusted and backed with a limited lifetime warranty. PM me if you have any interest.

Dan, Thanks for replying.

The ratios I quoted are from the studebaker parts book (Book 4).

The steering box is in good shape other than end play on the cross shaft end. There is no up and down play in the column. Everything turns smoothly etc etc. the bearings are all good. If there was an endplay adjustment nut for the cross shaft it would tighten up with very little tightening. The earlier boxes have no way to take up that play.

The manual says to take the steering arm off the shaft and turn the wheel until the shaft turns a complete turn to mesh on new teeth and reassemble. I have done this and it helped a lot but there is still a small amount of play. I read somewhere that on these boxes you can also file down the cover to make it thinner on the edge and take up play. I was hoping someone on here had experience doing this procedure and could advise.