It has been a hard winter on most of us.

Shop Rat

Where I really miss driving my 67 Wildcat , I have vintage convertibles for winter as well And I'm fairly happy to report that they have been tuned to perfection on all of our available snow here in Mass. Going to be 50 here tomorrow so it won't be long ....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]235561[/ATTACH]

convertibles...You mean the top goes up on them sleds???

Where I really miss driving my 67 Wildcat , I have vintage convertibles for winter as well And I'm fairly happy to report that they have been tuned to perfection on all of our available snow here in Mass. Going to be 50 here tomorrow so it won't be long ....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]235561[/ATTACH]

Kevin,

LOVE your collection of nostalgic machines!

The John Deer is self evident and I recognize the Kowie in the back but what is the silver one in the middle?

Here is how I used to justify all the snow and got through the winter (since I've always had to work out in it for a living - hating that but.... found this way to cope).

post-36036-143142400743_thumb.jpg

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Nice action shot Doug !

The silver sled in the center is a 74 arctic cat Cheetah 440. It was the first sled i restored many years ago and the one my oldest son learned to ride on. I gave him the sled a few years back and he has gave it a custom treatment and we still enjoy working on it together .

I guess they don't a top that goes up , but does putting a tarp over them between rides count ?

post-89507-143142402007_thumb.jpg

post-89507-14314240197_thumb.jpg

jazzer3 and others that might not have heard about YakTrax. They fit over boots and shoes and are like tire chains for your feet. One of the other members here a few years ago had a driveway like that to their shop and they couldn't walk to it either. They got a pair of these and loved them.

Susan I walked up the hill yesterday the sun was out no wind it was a beautiful 40 some degrees but each step I sank between 5 inches and 16 inches(no yakTrax) it was quite the stress test I stopped to rest a few times. Upon reaching the top and seeing the roof ridge lines on both buildings were still straight I celebrated with the can of Yuengling I had in my pocket. The amount of snow on roofs around here has been quite a concern. I removed two feet of snow from in front of the service door went in and sat in the 36 Airflow for awhile.

I looking forward to April showers.

Jay

There is more coming and it isn't sun. Still too cold to do anything outside so I spent a day and cleaned every piece of Revell track we have and put up a rather large road course in our living room. There are 98 pieces of track involved here with 3 straights left over. I had never tried putting all the track up at one time now that I got that out of the way we'll race for a few days then return our living room to normal and the slot-car stuff will go back into (more careful) storage.post-39071-14314241151_thumb.jpg

I can't wait to start working on real cars.

Jay

post-39071-143142411496_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142411503_thumb.jpg

Wow, great layout. :D You need one of those platforms that lowers down from the ceiling so that you don't have to take the track apart. :rolleyes:

My husband still has the original track he had from the sixties. And two or three original cars. I think one may be a Corvette. I figure they are fairly rare.

Tomorrow (Tuesday 3/4/14) will be a somewhat chilly Mardi Gras Day, and then a chance of light rain later in the afternoon for an hour or so -

we can handle that

Yesterday (Sunday) we were out cruising up the Great River Road in the 1941 Cadillac Convertible - this pic is at Destrehan Plantation - we had put the top back up prior to entering the parking lot.

post-54863-143142416617_thumb.jpg

post-54863-14314241663_thumb.jpg

It was about 70 degrees yesterday and the wind was 40. Today, maybe our first rain (1/8 inch ?) and the high only around 60.

A week in November we had a hard time when the lows got into the 20's.

70? !*@ Brrr.... To cold for me.

Born and raised in the upper Midwest so I feel everyone's pain.., ya'll can have it...

Stay warm and be cool.. but not as cool as the yugovan ;)

Tomorrow (Tuesday 3/4/14) will be a somewhat chilly Mardi Gras Day, and then a chance of light rain later in the afternoon for an hour or so -

we can handle that

I was there last week and caught 2 parades (and about 10 lbs of beads) between shifts doing drywall on a house in the 7th Ward. On Thursday (according to the only news report I saw all week) it got down to 34 degrees. We actually had frost on our windshields (and all of us had left our scrapers at home in Ohio). It was 2 degrees short of the record for February 27th, 32 degrees.

I already miss eating Buttermilk Drop breakfast rice under a palm tree, especially when I didn't even need a jacket at 8 AM.:cool:

I was there last week and caught 2 parades (and about 10 lbs of beads) between shifts doing drywall on a house in the 7th Ward. On Thursday (according to the only news report I saw all week) it got down to 34 degrees. We actually had frost on our windshields (and all of us had left our scrapers at home in Ohio). It was 2 degrees short of the record for February 27th, 32 degrees.

I already miss eating Buttermilk Drop breakfast rice under a palm tree, especially when I didn't even need a jacket at 8 AM.:cool:

Dave, that was last week - weather is better now

- next time please let us know you are/will be in town so we can take you out for some sereee---yus eating, Louisiana-style !

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

The media carries on like this has been an unusual winter. Maybe in some places, but compared to the winters I remember as a kid in the 50's - 60's, it hasn't been that bad. It's just that winters like this one have become more and more unusual over time so when we have one, everyone goes nuts over it. When we left Maine two weeks ago, we had about 2' of snow in the yard according to my measuring stick. We had had a few good snow storms, but then it would warm up and rain so we'd lose a lot. We'd have a few days of temps below zero then it would warm into the 30's before dropping again. I am glad to be in Florida for a couple of months, though.

The media carries on like this has been an unusual winter. Maybe in some places, but compared to the winters I remember as a kid in the 50's - 60's, it hasn't been that bad.

John, you were shorter then so it just looked deeper ;)

Everyone knows the expression 'Be careful what you wish for' right?

Having missed the usual snow, freeze, thaw cycle around here this year we finally saw 2 days of 45 degree weather - Yea! However.......

With a frost that is over 4ft+ down this year, when the snow started to melt it naturally goes to the lowest point and that happened to find it's way under my two side doors on the garage. Then we went under 32 degrees for four days and could not get them open until I chipped away about an inch of ice.

Then to add insult to injury, finally getting inside and not noticing the icy floor, don't I almost slip on my a$$ and bang my elbow on the edge of my Overland touring before stopping myself on the running boards!!!

With no heat in the garage waiting for the next thaw cycle but have been doing a little shoveling around to hopefully make a path for the water......

Then there is the mopping up of water in the garage (when it thaws.....)

MAN I HOPE WE DON'T HAVE A LONG RAINY SPRING!

(oops, there is that wish thing again...)

They are calling for 9-12 inches of snow here Wednesday. Then -9 for a low that night. Looks like the entire month of March and most of April are suppose to be 10 degrees below normal. so our average high isn't suppose to be 50 until the end of April. Then they are still calling fofr ice or snow right through the end of April about 3 times a week. Looks like they will be using road salt right into may this year. Lets hope they are wrong on all accounts. I'll take the rain at this point as long as the ground is warm enough so they can stop salting. They have got to be pushing a ton or more of salt every mile this winter and wondering why not only the roads shot around here (which were just all re paved 2 years ago)are terrible right now as well as their budget which is I'm sure well over. They forgot what a little sand will do for traction I think.

Yeah. We have National Weather Service Alerts for here also. Snow Wednesday into Thursday. Auburnseeker. You must not be that far from me. The Ol Buick Snow Master is ready for spaghetti, with a chance of meatballs. Dandy Dave!

Yeah. We have National Weather Service Alerts for here also. Snow Wednesday into Thursday. Auburnseeker. You must not be that far from me. The Ol Buick Snow Master is ready for spaghetti, with a chance of meatballs. Dandy Dave!

I'll take sunshine and lollipops.

I'm on the edge of Lake George so you are probably a couple of hours away.

They are saying it's a coastal Storm so maybe we will get lucky and be on just the fringe.

post-39071-143142426094_thumb.jpgI made it up the hill to the shop today, it took about 5 trips with the last one up being very exciting, backing down to make another try can cause some consternation but the increasing speeds necessary to make it over the top would have most people wanting to get out.

post-39071-143142426081_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142426088_thumb.jpg

Guest billybird

Last week we had all 4 seasons in 24 hours. 65 degrees, gradually sinking to 28 with 5-6 inches of snow. All in 24 hours!

Quite the adventure Friday bringing the T Speedster project home, all went smooth until we get to my place, around 150 foot stone driveway with maybe a 10 foot rise in all, but with all the storms I have not had it down to the stones since December. So about 1 - 2 inches of ice, warmed up enough Friday to make it a skating rink! When you get to the top I have lots of space - no problem, right? Well we actually gave up trying to manouver the trailer in place as it kept sliding due to the few inches of slope at the top - finally we unloaded in the street and pulled the T up with my Yukon - but still had to get it into the garage. In all maybe 45 minutes for a 5 minute job...

Well no matter what we are in Mid March, this can't last forever!!

I'll take sunshine and lollipops.

I'm on the edge of Lake George so you are probably a couple of hours away.

They are saying it's a coastal Storm so maybe we will get lucky and be on just the fringe.

Yup. I'm south of you. I'm not far from where Mass, NY, and CT come together. Calling for around 5 or so inches here. Should be mostly rain today, changing over tonight to freezing rain/snow and tapering off Thursday Morning. Sounds like your going to get more being north of Albany. Glad to see a lot of melting the last few days. Dandy Dave!

Yesterday did not deliver the possible 10 inches predicted fortunately.

We did end up with 6 1/2" of wet heavy stuff as seen on the hood of my truck...

post-36036-143142428305_thumb.jpg

The roads were terrible (even with salt down) here in the City let alone out on the major highways with blowing and drifting closing some for more than 5 hours!!!!!

By 3 pm it was over and the sun came through but the bottom started falling out of the thermometer. This Morning it was 7 degrees F!

The belts on my snow blower are just about stretched to their max.

When will this nightmare be over?????

Yesterday did not deliver the possible 10 inches predicted fortunately.

We did end up with 6 1/2" of wet heavy stuff as seen on the hood of my truck...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]238723[/ATTACH]

The roads were terrible (even with salt down) here in the City let alone out on the major highways with blowing and drifting closing some for more than 5 hours!!!!!

By 3 pm it was over and the sun came through but the bottom started falling out of the thermometer. This Morning it was 7 degrees F!

The belts on my snow blower are just about stretched to their max.

When will this nightmare be over?????

You got lucky. To the south of us got mixed rain and snow. We got snow only, which came in heavy and wet winding up, after snowing for 24 hours straight, with 16-18 inches. It's blowing hard now so it's hard to get an exact total. We shovel all our drives here at the house and I shovel everything out at the shop after my plow guy plows it all for 75.00 a pop. and yesterday was 2 -75.00 pops.

I now have to work on the roofs. I think that will wait for a day or so. I shoveled so much after chopping ice for water to run the day before that I woke up several times last night and my arms/hands were numb/ a sleep, from the elbow down. (both of them)

Now it's suppose to be -8 here tonight and again next week another night of -4. Our forecast for the next month is almost 10 degrees below normal everyday with a few days even colder. Global warming??? :confused:

You got lucky. To the south of us got mixed rain and snow. We got snow only, which came in heavy and wet winding up, after snowing for 24 hours straight, with 16-18 inches. It's blowing hard now so it's hard to get an exact total. We shovel all our drives here at the house and I shovel everything out at the shop after my plow guy plows it all for 75.00 a pop. and yesterday was 2 -75.00 pops.

I now have to work on the roofs. I think that will wait for a day or so. I shoveled so much after chopping ice for water to run the day before that I woke up several times last night and my arms/hands were numb/ a sleep, from the elbow down. (both of them)

Now it's suppose to be -8 here tonight and again next week another night of -4. Our forecast for the next month is almost 10 degrees below normal everyday with a few days even colder. Global warming??? :confused:

You are right! Guess We Did Get Lucky compared to what you are experiencing but trust me when I say, I feel your pain too man!

It's just that when we have been used to an average 'total' winter snow fall of 43 inches and right now we have had 90 inches so far, it makes us all think it is the worst ever right?

Fortunately, we have a pretty good City Snow Removal Policy (funding) and here is what it was like 26 hours later, on the same road and about the same spot.

post-36036-143142428861_thumb.jpg

(If you look close at the background, that is the GM Headquarters in Detroit across the River from us.)

Hope you can rest easy for the next round......

Ben Gay has been on my shopping list for awhile now.:(

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Low to upper 80's by next week here in the great southwest so get ready, spring is coming to you all soon.

Our deciduous Ash trees are really blooming fast and summer is only weeks around the corner for us, next month the triple digits start.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

WINTER IS SHOWING SOME SIGNS OF GIVING UP!

Giving up my lost keys that is.....

After a 10 hour day January 6th blowing out peoples driveways, came home and had to do my own. I parked out on the street and did mine and a neighbours, then went to move the truck back into my driveway..... my hand came up empty due to a hole in my coat pocket!:(

Fortunately I was at home and had a spare key in the house. Have been looking out for those keys all this time and today.......... the snow has melted enough from the driveway (four feet) and there they were, all eight of them lying on the soon to be green grass!

Amazingly that truck key (with computer chip) went through my snow blower without any damage and STILL WORKS!;)

At $300.00 a pop for a new key, this is a good day!:)

Now, if I can just keep the melting snow away and out of the garage......