Sign in to follow this  
Shop Rat

It has been a hard winter on most of us.

I went from 100.00 a month in Kerosene to 100.00 a week and that's with a wood stove in the big bay.

I am at $30 a day in my shop, if there is a little wind I'll go thru 10 gallons (close to $40). I'm not working for me, I am working for the petroleum companies.

It was about 70 degrees yesterday and the wind was 40. Today, maybe our first rain (1/8 inch ?) and the high only around 60.

A week in November we had a hard time when the lows got into the 20's.

I have been staying in the house and not much done in the garage,I have been using kerosene and tired of smelling it so I will do all the big projects when it warms up some.

I haven't bought one gallon of furnace oil yet this year. Wood keeps the house around 70 F. The Wood furnace is a Thermo-Control and is piped into the base board heaters and oil burner. I disconnected to power to the burner gun so it cannot fire. The circulator kicks on when the house calls for heat on one thermostat. A second thermostat opens the stove damper. Likes wood, but works great. Dandy Dave!

I live in Southeastern NC. We just had 3 days where everybody was basically stuck at home with 2 inches of ice covering everything outside. Monday the temperature is forecast to be 77 degrees. While we rarely really have much of what you would call Winter weather, I think we are one of the few places where you can experience all 4 seasons in less than a week.

Matthew,

Wife and I just returned from a month in Myrtle Beach (our first try at this) and I know exactly how you feel. I hope we did not bring you that poor weather. Got stuck and had to start a day late traveling home, but it sure was nice for most of the time compared to New England.

John

We had three days of winter in New Orleans last week - barely got above freezing for more than ten hours at a time. 1/8th inch of sleet/freezing rain, so everybody stayed home.

No gridlock like Atlanta.

North of Lake Pontchartrain they even had between half-inch to 2-inches of SNOW !!

Back to 65 degrees Friday,

and mid-70s Saturday and Sunday --- but we're on our way to AACA's ANNUAL MEETING IN PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA !!

.... bet it gets cold there !!

It's been so cold here in western Nebraska that the cats have found a new use for the heated dog bowl.

0201140754.jpg

Stay warm everyone, 6 more weeks of winter...HURRY SPRING!!

Yesterday we went to the Cherry Blossom Festival over in Waimea and saw 8 or 10 pick-ups with the beds completely full of snow. The boys here go up on Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa when it snows and bring it down.... For what, I don't know..... although one kid did have a big snowman made in his truck bed, pretty funny unless you follow too close with all the "melt" running out the back, ha ! Hope you folks get some relief from those horrible cold temps, our folks in Al. and Tn. keep us updated....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr see some here. http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Mauna-Kea/webcams/latest

Now we are just outside of Philadelphia

Expecting 3 - 5 inches of snow Monday !!

Try driving in it ....

Everyday ....

In different states - thru different Winter storms ....

Jim

post-56761-143142379916_thumb.jpg

My 1969 sears custom 10 lawn tractor that has a plow is getting a work out this year,my city takes too long to get to my road so I plow it too.

We got 13 inches today and it's still snowing. My plow guy came to the shop once and just dusted the end of the drive. When I left at 6:00 PM the front and rear pumpkins were dragging in the snow on my F250 Superduty. Good thing I have 4 wheel drive. Now I get to shovel roofs tomorrow. Yeah!!!! then bring in more firewood.

My plow guy gets $100 to plow. Now the temps are suppose to go down again so that will be another $100 in Kerosene as well for the week. Possibly another storm on Sunday.

I hope it breaks pretty soon. No wonder I never get to work on my cars.

We're having groundhog at my house for dinner tomorrow. All you can eat buffet. Everyone's welcome.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

We are at the 7th snowest winter in Michigan. Got over 38 inches in Detroit metro area in January when according to the news usually get +- 12 inches. We have more snow coming in today. :(

We had a heating oil delivery on December 31st - 209 gallons costing $794. They came again on February 2nd and left another 164 gallons for $667. Will probably have another delivery in April that will last until October. I figure it's going to cost us about $3600 for heat this year.

We are at the 7th snowest winter in Michigan. Got over 38 inches in Detroit metro area in January when according to the news usually get +- 12 inches. We have more snow coming in today. :(

Hey Larry,

Doug here, across the River from you in Canada (technically south of you).

This is what my backyard looks like now.

post-36036-143142384431_thumb.jpg

AND no heat in the garage.

post-36036-143142384435_thumb.jpg

just two more months, just two more months, just two more months.....

However, Not my 1st bad winter.

post-36036-143142384439_thumb.jpg

Winter 1969 at cottages on north shore of Lake Erie (using Dad's car of course!)

Edited by dei (see edit history)