It has been a hard winter on most of us.

Shop Rat

I haven't bought one gallon of furnace oil yet this year. Wood keeps the house around 70 F. The Wood furnace is a Thermo-Control and is piped into the base board heaters and oil burner. I disconnected to power to the burner gun so it cannot fire. The circulator kicks on when the house calls for heat on one thermostat. A second thermostat opens the stove damper. Likes wood, but works great. Dandy Dave!

I live in Southeastern NC. We just had 3 days where everybody was basically stuck at home with 2 inches of ice covering everything outside. Monday the temperature is forecast to be 77 degrees. While we rarely really have much of what you would call Winter weather, I think we are one of the few places where you can experience all 4 seasons in less than a week.

Matthew,

Wife and I just returned from a month in Myrtle Beach (our first try at this) and I know exactly how you feel. I hope we did not bring you that poor weather. Got stuck and had to start a day late traveling home, but it sure was nice for most of the time compared to New England.

John

We had three days of winter in New Orleans last week - barely got above freezing for more than ten hours at a time. 1/8th inch of sleet/freezing rain, so everybody stayed home.

No gridlock like Atlanta.

North of Lake Pontchartrain they even had between half-inch to 2-inches of SNOW !!

Back to 65 degrees Friday,

and mid-70s Saturday and Sunday --- but we're on our way to AACA's ANNUAL MEETING IN PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA !!

.... bet it gets cold there !!

Guest danceswithpumps

It's been so cold here in western Nebraska that the cats have found a new use for the heated dog bowl.

0201140754.jpg

Stay warm everyone, 6 more weeks of winter...HURRY SPRING!!

Yesterday we went to the Cherry Blossom Festival over in Waimea and saw 8 or 10 pick-ups with the beds completely full of snow. The boys here go up on Mauna Kea or Mauna Loa when it snows and bring it down.... For what, I don't know..... although one kid did have a big snowman made in his truck bed, pretty funny unless you follow too close with all the "melt" running out the back, ha ! Hope you folks get some relief from those horrible cold temps, our folks in Al. and Tn. keep us updated....brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr see some here. http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Mauna-Kea/webcams/latest

We got 13 inches today and it's still snowing. My plow guy came to the shop once and just dusted the end of the drive. When I left at 6:00 PM the front and rear pumpkins were dragging in the snow on my F250 Superduty. Good thing I have 4 wheel drive. Now I get to shovel roofs tomorrow. Yeah!!!! then bring in more firewood.

My plow guy gets $100 to plow. Now the temps are suppose to go down again so that will be another $100 in Kerosene as well for the week. Possibly another storm on Sunday.

I hope it breaks pretty soon. No wonder I never get to work on my cars.

We're having groundhog at my house for dinner tomorrow. All you can eat buffet. Everyone's welcome.

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

We had a heating oil delivery on December 31st - 209 gallons costing $794. They came again on February 2nd and left another 164 gallons for $667. Will probably have another delivery in April that will last until October. I figure it's going to cost us about $3600 for heat this year.

We are at the 7th snowest winter in Michigan. Got over 38 inches in Detroit metro area in January when according to the news usually get +- 12 inches. We have more snow coming in today. :(

Hey Larry,

Doug here, across the River from you in Canada (technically south of you).

This is what my backyard looks like now.

post-36036-143142384431_thumb.jpg

AND no heat in the garage.

post-36036-143142384435_thumb.jpg

just two more months, just two more months, just two more months.....

However, Not my 1st bad winter.

post-36036-143142384439_thumb.jpg

Winter 1969 at cottages on north shore of Lake Erie (using Dad's car of course!)

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Finally...

Not that I actually remember this but my grandmother told me that if the wind had blown that hard for one more day that ice would have possibly come up on the beach and crushed the cottages. Never have seen it that bad since.

post-36036-143142384456_thumb.jpg

Notice the month and year?

My point is even with as bad a winter we are getting, we will forget about this one too eventually....

Being there is no way to get to my shop except by hiking up a hill covered with deep snow and I found a source for cars, I got this out of storage. It hasn't been set up for more than 25 years. I got the Revell four lane set in about 1965 and have collected track when I found it, there is 48 more feet of straight and one more 90 turn still in boxes but the Wife isn't too thrilled about the size of this being in the living room. The original cars got used up quick and cars were not easy to find 25 years ago, now they are plentiful but some are expensive. I recently bought the four cars shown and I have two 60 Plymouths ordered.

I use the Grandsons as excuse for all purchases that are unnecessary and not justified at any time.

post-39071-143142395949_thumb.jpg

The photos taken of the road to the shop were taken a year or so ago, it is much worse right now I would never be able to walk the hill. The street shot is current but not current enough as there has been more snow since it was taken.

My Mom's house, about 150 years old, used $1550.00 from 12/9/13 to 1/9/14 and $1485.00 till 2/10/14, that's a lot of oil for a big house for one person, but at 89 years old she wants to stay put.

Jay

post-39071-143142395915_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142395924_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142395931_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142395937_thumb.jpg

post-39071-143142395943_thumb.jpg

A year and a half ago we bought a new Cub Cadet yard mower/tractor. Bill searched the internet and found a good deal on a correct plow for it and three of the weights that go on the back. And we already had the cut down V-Bar chains that I bought years ago for my 1967 VW Beetle that I had at the time. The chains are on the back tires. That thing will move snow!! Last year I think Bill used the plow maybe once or twice at the most. This year he has used it to plow our street, which is a private street for the six houses up here, which also has a very steep and rough access road at least six times....so far. We are very pleased with the Cub Cadet. :)

jazzer3 and others that might not have heard about YakTrax. They fit over boots and shoes and are like tire chains for your feet. One of the other members here a few years ago had a driveway like that to their shop and they couldn't walk to it either. They got a pair of these and loved them.

One thing though, before you wear them, especially on ice, put them on and walk around on some non-polished cement/concrete or blacktop to rough the coils up some for added grip. People that didn't do that said that they slid on bare ice that didn't have any snow on it. Caution still needs to be used, but these will make a HUGE difference in where you can walk in winter conditions. Check for sales on them on-line. So stores now carry them in stock. There are models of them that are for rougher uses and they have a strap to hold them on. So far the regular ones I bought have been fine.

I did find that using the strength of my leg to help stretch them onto my shoe/boot is easier than trying to use my hands to stretch them. Just slip the toe of the YakTrax securely on your shoe/boot and then extend your leg to stretch the YakTraxs to put the back over the heel of the shoe/boot rather than pulling on them with your hands and arms.

https://www.yaktrax.com/

Guest Nancy DeWitt

I'm playing a little tiny violin here in Alaska for all of you...;)

No seriously, I do feel sorry for folks whose homes aren't set up for extreme cold and power outages, and where snow brings traffic to a standstill. Wishing you all the best and hoping that your spring arrives soon. We've actually had a mild winter in Fairbanks (with record high temps in January) and will be firing up the museum's Model T Snow Flyer this weekend for kiddie rides.

post-58418-143142396009_thumb.jpg

P.S. Susan -- I love my Yak Trax!

Where I really miss driving my 67 Wildcat , I have vintage convertibles for winter as well And I'm fairly happy to report that they have been tuned to perfection on all of our available snow here in Mass. Going to be 50 here tomorrow so it won't be long ....

post-89507-143142398816_thumb.jpg

Nancy DeWitt, I love my YakTrax also. My niece had to crawl into the local YMCA in Easton, Pa. the other day because when she got there it would have been like Bambie on ice. I told her she needs a pair of YakTrax. Her comment was, "I have them, but they are at home". Hmmmm......I'm thinking she needs a pair in her car. :rolleyes:

Being there is no way to get to my shop except by hiking up a hill covered with deep snow and I found a source for cars, I got this out of storage. It hasn't been set up for more than 25 years. I got the Revell four lane set in about 1965 and have collected track when I found it, there is 48 more feet of straight and one more 90 turn still in boxes but the Wife isn't too thrilled about the size of this being in the living room. The original cars got used up quick and cars were not easy to find 25 years ago, now they are plentiful but some are expensive. I recently bought the four cars shown and I have two 60 Plymouths ordered.

I use the Grandsons as excuse for all purchases that are unnecessary and not justified at any time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]235310[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]235311[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]235312[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]235313[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]235314[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]235315[/ATTACH]

The photos taken of the road to the shop were taken a year or so ago, it is much worse right now I would never be able to walk the hill. The street shot is current but not current enough as there has been more snow since it was taken.

My Mom's house, about 150 years old, used $1550.00 from 12/9/13 to 1/9/14 and $1485.00 till 2/10/14, that's a lot of oil for a big house for one person, but at 89 years old she wants to stay put.

Jay

Love that race track ! Sure do miss mine. 1/32 scale?

Edited by ScottD961 (see edit history)