Sign in to follow this  
George Albright

Old Cars Weekly story on the Duesenberg Model J, I built from scratch. From George Albright

Hi Everyone. Below is the OCW link to the story on the 1929 Duesenberg Model J Judkins limo I built literally from scratch! This is the old Movie World Rentals gangster car. This story ran back in 2008,and I stumbled on the link to it,so I thought I would put it back other there for your reading enjoyment! George Albright,Ocala,Fla. gnalbright@gmail.com http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/<wbr>features/judkins_duesenberg

Benefits of AACA Membership.

George- Thanks for posting this. I remember as a "kid" being at Rick Cole's Pacific Auto Rental/Movie World auction in Los Angeles when this car was sold. It was such a gorgeous original car. I remember being more impressed with this car than the equally original disappearing top Murphy roadster that was also sold the on same day.

Here is the latest on the recreated Phaeton that started out life on the Judkin's original chassis, it has been in the US for sometime now, making the auction circuit rounds, most recently last weekend at Mecum's Kissimee sale:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=FL0114-174314&entryRow=2515&lottype=&startRow=2501

It is great that you had the foresight and determination to bring this important sedan back to life. It is certainly a majestic and important car that gives an appropriate nod to understated elegance.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)

George, You did a great service to all automobile enthusiasts by saving this automobile and making a great wrong right. It is very surprising to me how this car could survive the years it was at the bottom of it's value cycle only to be butchered later in life when you would think it would have been appreciated for what it is. Many thanks George!

(I'm hitting the imaginary "Like" button for this thread.)

How cool that Clive Cussler chimed in on the comments for that article. That caused me to do some research and I found out he operates the Cussler Museum in Arvada, CO. It's always so much fun when one story leads to another that leads to yet another... almost like an adventure novel. :)

Edited by MarrsCars (see edit history)

The story reminds me of the Cord E-1 restoration. A truly amazing and fascinating story of a one off, that was disassembled and scattered to the wind, yet most of the major components were located and reunited. SIA ran a two part article on it some years ago