Oh no !!! More spark plug stuff..........

FLYER15015

Hi Guys,

As though this spark plug subject hasn't been discussed to death, I was chatting with a neighbor recently, who incedentally is a retired chemist from Shell labs, and he was telling me about the benefits of "side gapping".

You know, the old trick of grinding off the ground electrode on your spark plugs, so the spark is not hidden by the ground (earth for Danny and Grant) electrode, and is made to jump sidways to the ground, and is therefore more openly presented to the gas/petrol and air mixture when it fires. Supporting a more effective and timely explosion in the cylinder.

I explained to him that the old AC-46's in the "baby" were doing just fine, with their annual cleaning, (which is combined with our valve / spark plug cover waxing party, held each spring as part of her "wake up" routine.

He then pointed out that in stead of of destroying my precious plugs, I should look into these,post-70733-143142365929_thumb.jpgSo my question is has anyone made this change ?

Yes I know this is not the right plug for the Baby. It's a generic picture, but it illustrates the theory of exposing the spark to the "mix" more so than a conventional plug with a "J" shaped ground/earth.

With all that.....Let the discussion begin........

Mike in Colorado

:confused::confused::confused:

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

I have tried that style Bosch Platinum plug and several other manufactures versions in some of my modern cars and with one exception I could not tell the difference in any manner.

When I put a set of that exact style plugs in a car I used to own the performance when south within several hundred miles; even though they were supposed to be a replacement for the original plug number. When I looked in the shop manual, it specifically said not to use the Bosch platinum plugs for some unknown reason. As I recall they have very thin electrodes and the electrodes appeared to have burnt up inside the porcelain.

The performance was the same as the original style plugs with the others manufactures I tried. I also check my fuel mileage with every fill up and never saw a mileage improvement either.

Now I only use an exact spark plug brand and part number specified in the owners manual for all my cars, and if it happens to be that style plug then that is what I use, and if not then I don't.

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila
Spelling error (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Splitfire, Iridium, etc. Give me an AC46 any day! Our Mercury 200 outboard has surface gap plugs, the idea being that they don't foul as easily. I think de-shrouding the valves in the head, and a bit of port polishing would have more of an impact IMHO.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Yes, I am these days Mike! Don't seem to be getting on here as frequently as I used to. And there seem to be plenty of people to offer good advice, so I'm a bit redundant! Still got plenty of cars to work on though. I think that's the problem!

Cheers

Grant