Face Plate Restoration

20Premier

I wrote an article on this a few years ago. Essentially a photographic quality cover is applied over the original. It is but one way to accomplish this.

http://www.metroccca.org/tech_articles/tech_10_winter.pdf

I took the liberty to provide a quick example based on your submitted picture. Email me if you want this type of solution. An alternate is to do the graphics like the photo and create a water soluable decal and apply over the original.

This assumes that this ignition faceplate is under glass. If its not then the graphics suggestion would not be a good method.

Chris

friar1340@gmail.com

post-31549-14314236535_thumb.jpg

Edited by Friartuck (see edit history)

The gaphics solution works well but you will not have the raised letters and you may have to sand down the letters so the decal lies flat. You may try having the part replated in bright nickle and then painting the face. When completey dry ,carefully buff the raised letters with very fine steel wool until all the paint is removed from the letters. Don't rub too hard or you may rub through the plating. Another alternative is to paint the face and then drybrush the letters with a gloss silver paint. The graphics shop can exacly duplicate the style of lettering on the decal and I have used this method on my Dodge with excellent results but my gauge faces were flat. Good luck on this project! Jim

post-33734-143142365362_thumb.jpg

looks like its photo etched with a paint inlay. After applying the paint (I use a automotive enamel paint)

you can carefully wet sand to reveal the raised text and features than re-plate. Be very careful sanding - its very, very easy to round-off edges and sand detail away. I use 800 grit with a hardwood block for a backer and let just the weight of the paper and block do the work. I add dish soap to my water and rinse the paper frequently.

Here is a similar example I made (a moto-meter face plate for a Hudson in Chile.) I used CAD to create the graphics and a simply photo etching technique.

P1070706.jpg

And a non-plated example

100_3668.JPG

Edited by Terry Harper (see edit history)

Guest dgriff8923

Your face plate is almost the same as my 1918 Cadillac. I am not at the point where I need to address this, but am interested in how yours turns out. I will keep an eye on your post to get some ideas. Good luck. Dan Griffith