Sign in to follow this  
rjones

Newbie insurance question

I am purchasing a 1929 Oakland. This will not be my primary car but weather permitting I do plan on driving it as much as possible. For me, that could be around 7500 miles per year or less. It could go more if I plan a touring trip. Most of my driving is 45 miles or less one way to dr. visits or to the grocery store. With these things in mind, which insurance companies should I be looking at? I've looked at the online information of most of the big names and see where I can pick my yearly mileages but most want it to be going to or from a car show or a short pleasure trip etc. Most of the time I may only go to town once or twice a month or sometimes I may be going everyday for a couple of weeks and then not go for a month! I plan on enjoying this car every chance I get but want to make sure that it and myself are properly covered. I don't want to try to pull the wool over on the insurance company just to get coverage. Thanks!

I have found even cars that I use alot rarely see more than 2000 miles in a year unless of course you live in a nice sunny climate where you can drive it year round and everything is 30 miles or so away. If you do alot of long distance touring that might rack the mileage up.

I would start with a company that will allow you to pick say 3000-4500 miles and go with them for your first year to see how many miles you really rack up. You can always go to a new company if you realize you are going to overrun that companies limit or expand it if they will let you. Is this your first old car?

Most companies state that it is not to be used for daily driving as in going to work or shopping, etc.

This brings up the question, what if you conciser it a pleasure driving it to work, instead of the family van?

Or taking it out on a Sunny day for a ride and buying a pair of shoes at the mall?

They may have the right to fail to honor a claim?

That's my dilemma, if it's nice out I plan on driving this one. It is my first and I live almost 20 miles from town and about 45 miles from civilization. (Live near a very small town!) So it's a trip just to go to the grocery store. As I said, I don't want to mislead the insurance company and want everything upfront and honest. Is there an insurance company that really doesn't care when and where I drive it? My mileage may well be below 5000 thinking about it now. Most of my trips and when its' really hot or bad weather is when I will be taking my primary car. Our winters are usually late November to early March give or take. Then some days of rain. The rest of the time I plan to drive the Oakland if I go anywhere if I can insure it for that! Thanks!

In Ohio your insurance is based on how you license your car. If you license it as a collector, it must be 25 years old and you are restricted in how you use the car. You can only use it for a collector's vehicle used in participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, but NOT for general transportation. Going to work, the store, a friends house are restricted by rules of Ohio. The insurance company usually goes by the restrictions plus limits of driving less than 1,000 miles a year. For this your insurance on a $15,000 car is about $120 car.

When you title any car in Ohio as a regular license, you must renew you license every year but you are not restricted to usage or how much you drive it. Heads up, the insurance company will not give you the collector car discount and your plate cost would be the same a a modern $15,000 valued car. In my case, the insurance will be about around $500 a year.

About 4 years ago, the local police warned a friend, he would get a ticket the next time he was going to the store & restaurant. He scrapped the antique plates and converted to regular plates.

I think you best course of action would be to talk to the insurance companies and find out what they recommend for you. Then you would have much better idea what to do.

Illinois has a new classification of plates called Expanded Antique that is a historic plate, but has unlimited ability to drive your car without any restrictions from April 1st till October 30th. After that you can only drive it to shows, repairs and "Demonstrations" whatever that is. The car must be 25 years old. And my regular insurance company offers coverage that has unlimited milage and no restrictions except you should not have it as your daily driver(you can drive it to work, although not everyday, and shopping or wherever as you want). In other words, you must have at least one other car insured with them on a regular policy. The cost is not much, about $25 for my two cars per month when I activate my full coverage and about $10 per month when on inactive status(Comprehensive only). I had to have each appraised one time and a specific value assigned. That is it. I really like it, although I know others who think it is a bad way to go.

The A.A.C.A. has begun a "Mileage Award Program" to encourage

people to drive their antique cars! It sounds like you're the perfect

enthusiast for such a program. Just be sure, as you know, that your

insurance company covers you properly.

In the February 2008 issue of "Skinned Knuckles" magazine, editor

Neil Maken wrote an article entitled, "Is Your Antique Car Really Insured?"

You should be able to reach him at (714) 963-1558 to get a copy of

the article and ask him some pertinent questions. I think that

the major antique-car insurers, such as J. C. Taylor, should have some

type of policy for you if you describe your situation.

I love my old cars and plan to drive them more this year but they will be only special occasion cars as I want all the safety features of a modern car with the crazy drivers around me on the road today. I will have to have all the airbags, stability control, traction control and crumple zones on my daily driver so I might live to occasionally enjoy one of my old cars.

rjones,

Direct answer is Hagerty Insurance. They seem to have the most liberal usage policies. However, re-read response #2

from Auburnseeker. A 1929 automobile is fun to drive, but gets to be a lot of work and most of us save our miles for tours and outings with other vehicles of a similar vintage. There seems to be safety in numbers and like interests. With that in mind you may wish to shop around at renewal time and settle for a carrier that allows less mileage in exchange for a lower premium.

We drive our cars on every tour we can find and still don't get over the 2500 mile limit most years on any of our old cars.

Thanks for all the responses! I did indeed contact the major insurance carriers. I explained the situation in detail to each. (Just for me to go to the nearest town is a 25 mile round trip!) Two of the carriers politely said no. They would not insure a car being used for everyday purposes like going to the doctor or stopping to get groceries. The last one I contacted, American Modern said that as long as I was not doing these things daily that it was ok. I repeated many things with the lady on the phone to make sure this or that was ok and she kept telling me that as long as I wasn't using it for daily purposes then it was ok. Thanks again for everyone's advice. Right before I go to pick up my car I will get my insurance with American Modern Insurance!

Too bad you could not have recorded that conversation in the event you have a claim and they have changed there tune. Were it me, I would document the details of the conversation in writing and send a copy to your insurer for inclusion in your file.