Salvage yards with 30's close to NYS

Guest hine62

We are gearing up for first project on a '37 de soto. Just wondering what kind of salvage yards are in and around new york state or the east coast.

Hine62

I would think most any salvage yard in the North east with 30's cars in them unless recently dragged in won't have alot of usable parts unless you are looking for a random bracket or something. Cars rust so bad around here especially ones that have been laying out that they are pretty much paper thin by now. Out west or down south is a totally different story.

@auburn: my research would confirm that south and west is the best place to look. It does make sense.

@bob: there was a place close to Watertown NY years ago. I just can't remember were.

You may be thinking of Dobbins Auto Parts, in Adams Center N.Y. which was auctioned last spring. Not too many decent cars left but there were a few.
Dobbins was a decent yard. What I remember about that yard was that the railroad ran right through the middle of his yard, and he had stacks of the old Army M-151 Jeeps. I had met the owner several years ago, he had the yard up for sale, no one would buy it, so he closed it and had an auction. He told me back in 2006 that if he couldn't find a buyer that he was going to close the yard.

Before I retired from Fort Drum, the owner told me of another junk yard. I've been to the yard, but they weren't open. He had a lot of stuff from the 1930's. I can't remember the road that it was on, but if you took Interstate 81 North, you get off at one of the exits just north of Watertown. I can't remember the exit number, but it was the exit where the Cracker Barrel was located at. If you got to the Fort Drum exit, you've gone too far.

If you get off by the Cracker Barrel, you head west like you're heading towards Cape Vincent. You go a couple of miles out and when you see a big tall brick smokestack, you cut over one road to the north and keep heading west. Again I can't remember the road, and I can't remember the name, but he had some good old stuff. I know the owner of Dobbins said this guy is pretty fussy as to who he lets in, and when he I went there he told me to mention his name. The time I happened to be there was at a time when he was closed. The guy said that he wasn't open during the winter, and I never got the chance to get back there when the weather got good. I'd like to go back just to see what he had there.

Another yard with old stuff is Juliano's Auto Parts on Route #14 in Sodus, NY.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

You'd probably do better by soliciting this forum, the Dodge Bros.club site, the WPC club site ,swap meets and E-bay than to search for Desoto parts in a junk yard. If you would be lucky enough to find a '37 it would probably have been stripped or rotted long ago. There's a small private yard near me that kept all his early stuff in storage and eventually sold all but 2 really nice cars and he said that all his '50's and '60's stuff simply rotted away. There are some items, mechanical and electrical, that can still be purchased new but you'll find that it's a real hunt to find most parts. You should probably try to find a good parts car right off the bat. Good luck!

The yard in the Watertown NY area ( Brownville) was run by Eric Farr, an cantankerous gentleman if I ever knew one. He passed away several years ago, and from what I understand, the yard is being operated by his son who has a full time job and is there infrequently. A check of phone listings might be a place to start.

• 6 years later...