The very earliest Dodge Brothers cars......

StillOutThere

I'm a recent new member of the DB club but having inconsistent communications so far. Have one of the ususal questions and hoping someone here can answer.

What is the lowest known serial number? Since 370 cars were built in the last 45 days of 1914, just how low do they go? Is #1 existing? Yes, I realize they are all called 1915 models.

Expect most of you have seen this but will attach here for those who have not.

post-57494-143142360086_thumb.jpg

Edited by StillOutThere (see edit history)

Not sure on the lowest number but you should receive a roster that would prob. answer that question assuming the owner is a D.B club member.

Guest DodgeKCL

From a 1964 magazine- "The first Dodge was taken delivery by Horace and John Dodge on Nov. 14 1914 in Hamtramck Mich." The photo shows them sitting in a 4 door touring. I would assume it's in a museum somewhere? Later it says "Nov. 14 1914 to June 28 1915 , Serial Range 1 to 18157" I would also assume this 4 door touring is serial number 1. Where is it?

If one is to read the book The Dodge Brothers, The Men,The Motor Cars and The Legacy by Charles K Hyde on pages 72 to 75 one will get the answer to the above question on the car in the picture that is shown in front of John Dodges's Boston Boulevard home on November 14th. In short the car shown is likely to be a experimental car made several months before Nov 14 and not a production car . "Automobile Topics " of October 1914 reports that Dodge Brothers had several "test cars "on the road ," Automobile Topics" Nov 7 had exclusive sneak preview with pictures of cars taken in early November. All these early cars had three louvers on each side of the hood and the production sold to the public did not. There is a lot more information in the book. Best to read a copy. Bob

Edited by robert b (see edit history)

I once looked at an early Dodge chassis in New Orleans, this would have been in the 1970's, and the engine block was stamped "5". I had no DB reference then, and never dreamed that any car company started at "1" and went from there, almost every serial number sequence I've seen used "1001" or such. So, I just figured it was a replacement block.

Does anyone know if this engine/chassis survived, and if it was really a very early DB?

Guest DodgeKCL

(The mag also has a story about #8 an enclosed 4 door in private hands in New Jersey.) The Dodge brothers photo appears to be in the Fall of 1914 because the leaves are falling from the trees and the brothers appear to heavily dressed. The photo I have says the car came from the Production Department of the Dodge Assembly Plant in Hamtramck. It does not look experimental to me except perhaps for the apparent 3 louvers. Why would the President and Vice President of Dodge want to have their photos taken in an experimental car and have history record it as the 1st Dodge automobile. Why wouldn't they just wait? Doesn't make sense.

Since the Bros were only building a roadster and a touring in the first two years, is the "enclosed 4 door" you are looking at a touring body with the "Winter equipment" which, I believe, meant it include a bolt on sedan-like top made from hardwoods and included glass in the upper door frames. While there were accessory companies making these for multiple makes, I understand Dodge only contracted with Rex Top of Connorsville, IN, to supply right from the factory. Gen'l Pershings car seems to have Rex winter equip. I know of one such "winter touring" DB4 with Rex.

(The mag also has a story about #8 an enclosed 4 door in private hands in New Jersey.) The Dodge brothers photo appears to be in the Fall of 1914 because the leaves are falling from the trees and the brothers appear to heavily dressed. The photo I have says the car came from the Production Department of the Dodge Assembly Plant in Hamtramck. It does not look experimental to me except perhaps for the apparent 3 louvers. Why would the President and Vice President of Dodge want to have their photos taken in an experimental car and have history record it as the 1st Dodge automobile. Why wouldn't they just wait? Doesn't make sense.

Kcl you refer to "The mag also has a story about #8---------) What mag are you refering to please ? Is this mag "Dodge Brothers First Fifty Years ? Bob

Since the Bros were only building a roadster and a touring in the first two years, is the "enclosed 4 door" you are looking at a touring body with the "Winter equipment" which, I believe, meant it include a bolt on sedan-like top made from hardwoods and included glass in the upper door frames. While there were accessory companies making these for multiple makes, I understand Dodge only contracted with Rex Top of Connorsville, IN, to supply right from the factory. Gen'l Pershings car seems to have Rex winter equip. I know of one such "winter touring" DB4 with Rex.

Chapter Four of the book that I listed above confirms your coments on the sedan production . Quote " The "lineup " of cars did not change much until the 1917 model year, when Dodge Brothers increased the wheel base on all its models from 110 inches to 114 inches and added a coupe and a two-door sedan, both priced at$1,265. Their center door sedan seated five passengers, but was not popular. The two passenger coupe looked much like the roadster,but like the sedan had wire wheels instead of the standard artillery type wheels found found on the other models ". Also within this chapter is given the body makers that Dodge Brothers were using in these first years , eg Budd, Wilson Carriiage Company, Dodge Brothers them selves, so it is possible to conclude that a " sedan body " closed door type could have been built prior to the two door sedan production by Dodge Brothers . Bob

Guest DodgeKCL

Yes it is called "Dodge Brothers First 50 Years". I've just been told the car labelled "#8" still exists and the owner is on this site with us. It is a touring car with an added hard top. And apparently it is not car #8. Just goes to show ya,once again,believe nothing you hear and only half of what you read.