63 quarter window

Guest jwb65

Hi everyone! New guy here. I picked up my Riv last fall and now that the holidays are over I'm starting to dig into it. I have a question regarding the quarter window. My driver's side window does not work (stuck in the up position). I have a '63 body manual and it indicates you need to lower it in order to disengage the cam from the roller on the regulator lift arm.

Does anyone have a trick on how to remove the window when it is stuck in the up position?

I had the same problem-i think i loosened the motor and disingaged gears from track.These things are a b**** to get reinstalled.on the second one i marked outside of all the bolt with a small tiped magic marker for location-also made note of depth.of bolts.Motor is problobly good-tracks get gummed up with dried grease and dirt.Good luck-if motors bad i should have one around here.T.Nugent roa 12969...

Hi Joe,

I had the same problem on my '64 when I first picked it up. I corrected the problem although I did not remove the window. I simply got into the rear quarter and look a piece of nylon pad (like ScotchBright) and 'sanded' the tracks. Once it was smooth I added some light lubrication and both rear windows now function perfectly. My motor was fine, so I'm assuming yours is as well.

Finally got the window out. What a royal pain. As I suspected the motor was completely frozen. This shot was taken before I started cleaning it.

post-98196-14314237072_thumb.jpg

OK JWB: I removed the entire assembly from mine. A mistake. I had done a full tint swap out on another car successfully and thought I had it down. Not even close. I did learn that the power window motor and regulator go in first. The rest is a blur. I now have done it several times and it still isn't adjusted right. The tracks need to be adjusted so they hold the glass a proper distance from the fuzzies and I'm still struggling with that.

A few things that did help were, cleaning all nuts so they screwed on the threads smoothly with my fingers, I used the right side as a road map and I had the motor and connections tested for power. Fortunately there is an ample supply of power window motors, regulators and tracks for cheep. I just hope my track isn't bent and it eventually will adjust.

Good luck, Mitch.

The tracks need to be adjusted so they hold the glass a proper distance from the fuzzies and I'm still STRUGGLING with that.

Good luck, Mitch.

Doesn't sound fun at all…discouraging to say the least…for those of us who are faced with or will be faced with this challenge do u recommend we farm this work out? Would that be a body shop or a auto glass trade?

David

• 3 months later...
Guest jwb65

I already pulled it. I'm pretty sure its the motor. Just found one on EBay, hopefully this will solve my problem.

Guest jwb65

post-98196-143142532373_thumb.jpg

Installed the new motor and window mechanism. Finally all 4 windows work great! I have to say the quarter window install went easier than I had expected. Also using the body manual, it was relatively easy to adjust it (or I was lucky). Yesterday I installed the new carpet/interior and now I just plan to drive it!