1948 Chrysler rear axle lube type and instructions.

Installing a used rear end assembly and I noticed a plug on each end of the housing. Looking at the shop manual, the inner seals separate the wheel bearings from being lubricated from the rear end assembly. I gather that the plugs are removed and grease fitting are installed to fill the cavity with Grease?:confused:

New one on me.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

post-78906-143142357229_thumb.jpg

Dave, I usually grease these bearings pumping slowly until I just see grease appearing between the seal lip and axle. I think the manual calls for a given amount, I never figured out how many grease-gun pumps equal an ounce, but too much grease will likely get on the brake shoes.

Also, my manual is a little mixed up concerning drain plugs for the differential, both C-39 rears I've worked on had a small plug at 6 o,clock for draining.

Jay

If you look at the manual, you will see these instructions:

Rear Axel - Rear Wheel Bearings - Universal Joints (Every two years or every 20,000 miles)

<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate><quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>

Rear Wheel Bearings - Short Fiber Wheel Bearing Grease - Medium.

Remove plugs in rear side of axle housing near brake support plates and lubricate with 1/2 ounce

of recommended lubricant, using low pressure gun. Replace plug. Do not over-lubricate.

If a relief plug is used on grease gun, the exact required amount of lubricant can be applied.

Over-lubrication may result in grease leaking past the seals onto brake linings.

There is a reason there are no fittings on these plugs - if you put them on and pump in lube with a high pressure gun, you will gum up the brake drums every time.

This was done on my 32 Dodge and required removing everything to clean the mess out. This is the reason they tell you to use a low pressure gun and a small amount of lubricant. The "Do not over-lubricate" line is in heavy black type in the manual for a reason. Stuffing the entire cavity with high pressure grease will result in a catastrophic mess.<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>