bumper brackets

R.White

Hello Ray! Like your new avatar. I think I found the post you're looking for. It was by forum member Jason, "1930" back on May 10th, 2013. He posted his E-mail , jhason2@yahoo.com so he can give out the number of the man with the parts for sale. He claims to have truckloads of '26 parts including bumper brackets. As you may know, those gall dang brackets never bend, they BREAK. I went through this on my '25 front brackets and got things right finally. Best regards, Pete.

I spoke with Ray via P.M at the time about these parts and he had no interest. I no longer remember anything about what was being offered or the contact information for who was offering. Can no longer help

Good to hear from you again, Pete. Glad you like the Avatar. I took some shots back when the weather was good and the car seemed to shout "photograph me"!!

Thanks for looking; I appreciate it but it was really photos that I had seen which could be used to make my own bumpers and brackets. I would think shipping from the States would be exorbitant due to the weight!

Fortunately, I know a tame Blacksmith in our village who could easily make these for a reasonable price; the expensive part would be getting the blades plated. I have no bumper on the back and the wrong one on the front. What I am not sure about is whether or not the export models had bumpers as standard as so many Australian bodied cars don't have them. Perhaps they have been removed to save weight? I don't know the story but it would be interesting to know for sure.

Cheers,

Ray.

Ray, I see many old time photo's of our type cars around and many do not have bumpers. It must have been a carry-over from the horse & buggy days whereas they had no bumpers (rears anyway). Many aftermarket companies had bumpers to adapt to different cars, I believe I have one here somewhere. Bumpers were of course an option for buyers too. I'm under the impression our '25/'26 Dodge bumpers were a "package deal" if a Deluxe was ordered, along with the cowl lights, nickeled lamp bezels & nickeled rad. shell. Many "outback" countries where these cars were driven are depicted without the bumpers. My guess is that a stump or some hazzard may bend the bumper inward to catch on the tire, which would slow up the "safari" or something. Someone here must have to know about your query pertaining to export cars and their bumpers.

That's interesting, Pete. I had obviously been incorrect in my belief that bumpers would have been standard in the U.S.A. back then. As far as export cars are concerned, I expect the picture is similar and that bumpers would have been optional extras. For those cars which were used in the outback, the conversion to a 'ute' may well have seen the removal of bumpers and from what I can gather, there was not the same degree of hazard associated with kangaroos that there is today. Perhaps our Australian friends will be able to confirm the true situation.

With the luggage rack removed from the rear of my car, it somehow looks in need of a bumper; not withstanding the practical aspect of protecting the rear fenders and chassis etc. The quarter section "bumperettes" pictured on some cars have a certain appeal - not least the fact that mounting the rear wheel on it's boss should be easier for me.

Ray.

I'm 99% sure the US built Chevy's, domestic sales included, bumpers were an option as late as 1929/'30. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The Ford Model A was the best known car that used the split rear bumper,IMO. Ford DID offer a full-length rear bumper at one time during the A Model run.

Ray - I'm currently in the process of restoring the brackets and bumpers for my 25. I pulled these off of a 27. From my research it appears that there were multiple designs for the brackets. This set seems to be more prevelant on later 4 cyl models. Here's a shot of all of the brackets and hardware. The more curved ones are for the front. If you give me an email address I can send more pics of them installed on the bars. Jay

post-86886-143142360663_thumb.jpg

I can only coment on the late 20's Dodge brothers cars (25 to 28 ) that most were sold with out bumpers and these were dealer "options" aviable at extra cost ( seen adds stating this ) . Of the five 128/9 cars that I have had only two of them had bumpers , the first, a tourer had bumpers that were made in Sydney , the car was sold by Standardised Moters Ltd in late 27 and they are of the same design as yours are Ray, the second was the sedan that was fully inported from the U.S. which had bumpers like the pics above . All the other cars had no bumpers. Bob

Thanks for that, Mike. I am glad to say that I now have enough photos to see how the bumpers fit together.

Bob, your experience has again proved invaluable. SO; most cars were sold in Australia sans bumpers but were available as dealer options. I was particularly interested to learn that your 'Standardised Moters' tourer had bumpers made in Sydney. I have been looking again at the great photos you posted me last year.

Jay, many thanks for your help - great photos!

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Thanks for that, Mike. I am glad to say that I now have enough photos to see how the bumpers fit together.

Bob, your experience has again proved invaluable. SO; most cars were sold in Australia sans bumpers but were available as dealer options. I was particularly interested to learn that your 'Standardised Moters' tourer had bumpers made in Sydney. I have been looking again at the great photos you posted me last year.

Jay, many thanks for your help - great photos!

Ray.

Ray I see if I can find some pic that were taken some thirty years ago of these bumpers and put them up soon . I seam to always get the "o"and " e" mixed up , good pick up .Bob