Sign in to follow this  
Stevemo

Looking at a 1934 Dodge Special Deluxe

I was hoping the ripple effect wasn't rust.

The 34s had 3 splash pans around the engine. if you look under neath the chassis you should find the threaded holes that they attached through.

The engine badge is pretty neat and has good info. I suspect the engine could have been opened up twice.

Steve

post-98704-143142374377_thumb.jpg

Interesting that both the main and con rod bearings are standard. The crank must have been in great shape, or they put a new one in.

Hi all,

I contacted the seller today to discuss the car but his bottom dollar price was too high for me so this deal won't be going through. Somebody who can do the steel work at cost will have to pick up this car to make it economical.

I thank everybody for their help and I'll lay in the weeds waiting for another '34 4-door to come up for sale within my price range.

Cheers, Steve

PlymouthPE:

I'd rather not expose his price but I can provide you with a phone number if you'd like to talk to Stan about the car. We can confirm numbers after that if you'd like. ;) You are pretty close to it, it is in Chatsworth.

37k is crazy, I wouldn't drop that kind of money unless it was for a Mercedes Sprinter motorhome. If a car like this comes up I am more likely to be game: http://forums.aaca.org/f143/1934-dodge-dr-sale-339346.html That car with a peeled paint job and a few scratches is what I want as long as it is cheaper.

Steve

The engine letter T would make it a truck engine unless that is what they do in Canada. The hubcaps look different than the USA cars? We have 3 1934 DR cars. 1 Brougham, 1- 2dr sedan, and the other a regular 4 dr sedan. All the engines have DR at the beginning of the engine number and this stile of cap.

post-78906-143142378239_thumb.jpg

post-78906-14314237822_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142378231_thumb.jpg

if you don't mind what is his asking price?........if under 4,000 you may be able to make out if you do most of the work yourself , but" if things have been change out keep in mind it's not original !!

I bought mine on the "cheap" but has all original, motor trans ect also when they did interior, they covered over originals so I have all patterns to duplicate...so if I put another 5-6 into it and a little blood sweat and tears,,,,I should be ok when it comes time to hand it off.. good luck in your decisions......

The engine letter T would make it a truck engine unless that is what they do in Canada. The hubcaps look different than the USA cars? We have 3 1934 DR cars. 1 Brougham, 1- 2dr sedan, and the other a regular 4 dr sedan. All the engines have DR at the beginning of the engine number and this style of cap.

Dave is right, the engine prefix is T2, a 1934 Dodge truck engine. The engine in question also has a Plymouth cylinder head so the displacement of the engine is same as 1933-34 Ply and 1933 Dodge. A 1934 Dodge DR cylinder head will not fit.

The car must have sold today, it disappeared from the web. Perhaps the new proud owner will turn up here soon. :D I had been hunting down parts for it to make a final offer on the car but that won't be necessary anymore.

Cheers, Steve

Cool, that one is about 30 minutes from my brother's house. Why buy a rare Dodge when you can buy an even rarer Plymouth? :D

Cool, that one is about 30 minutes from my brother's house. Why buy a rare Dodge when you can buy an even rarer Plymouth? :D

Huh? I was under the impression that more Plymouths were built than Dodges in that era. . .

Car looks to be pretty solid. Also looks like the period correct ('33/34) engine in it.

Now you're talking! I would buy that one and do a running restoration. Snatch his hand off before someone else gets there!

Ray.

Hmm, I hadn't seen as many Plymouth's for sale so I figured they were less common. I have a soft spot for the Dodge's so I'll keep the Plymouth in mind but it isn't quite what I'm after.

I tracked down a fresher 1934 Dodge with an asking price of $18.5k. I am in the midst of trying to figure out if it has fiberglass fenders and running boards. What do you guys think? It will be locked up until mid-April so no engine photos. :(

Steve

post-98704-143142386862_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142386847_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142386872_thumb.jpg

post-98704-143142386883_thumb.jpg

Hi again,

Can anybody recommend a parts book with diagrams and serial numbers for these cars? I am going to see the burgundy car in the spring but I won't be able to bring an expert with me to look at it so I need to bring some reference materials. The intent would be to ensure there aren't any obvious pieces missing from the car and I'd also want to confirm the undercarriage is correct, etc.

Thank you, Steve

Factory parts book and factory service manual are the way to go. They used to show up on E-bay every now and again, prob. still do. Faxon and I am sure many others make re-prints as well. Google Faxon auto literature.

Not the highest quality from material I have seen but Ok for shop use.

I would think that getting multiple detailed pictures would give more info than trying to figure it out from a book. That would be time consuming and there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can look at the pictures with expertise. Better yet, pay a expert to check the car from head to toe. You find these people in Hemmings and other magazines. From what I seen so far with the pictures, the luggage rack has wood instead of chrome strips. I don't think you can go wrong with that car for the asking price.