possible scam...

Hey, everyone...

Just wanted to give a heads up to another possible scam...

dude from Great Britain pm'd me and said he has the part I need, a 39 Cadillac rear fender...

0 posts, so has never been on here...too coincidental..didn't know there were that many old American cars over there.

A lot of American cars (not to mention other stuff) were exported to Great Britain during WWII; however, that does not mean that the guy who contacted you is not a scammer. Did this guy just contact you "out of the blue", or did he reply to a "want to buy" ad that you've posted? Be careful, and "If it's too good to be true ... "

Cheers,

Grog

Hey Grog,

Just seems funny, anything that far away I don't think I would buy, plus there has been several scams running out of GB...DON'T know for sure...

I would rather buy from someone who has been around for a while, and can see pictures of the item...

As far as contacting me a, known scammer jims restoration contacted me too from the ad...

Todd

Todd,

After posting my reply, I read further in this forum and found several complaints about obvious scams which seem to originate in Great Britain. With that in mind, I'd certainly be wary of the "dude from Great Britain" and would not reply to any of his communications. Besides, even if he was legit, can you imagine what it would cost to ship a '39 Cadillac rear fender to the U.S.? I think that consideration alone, would cause me to look for a fender in the U.S. or Canada.

Good luck in your quest to find the fender.

Cheers,

Grog

Don't tell me... you post a request for a specific part, then you get a response that says something like "I have the item you are looking for".

Other sites warn of this specific scam but I'm not sure why this one does not. Typically, it comes from "jimsrestoration" or similar.

Scams often contain similar phrases or language patterns, mispellings, etc. It would be beneficial for everyone to become familiar with the typical scam approach.

My reason exactly.....just wanted everyone to know...who could not have seen that one coming, I think they see the amount of posts you've had and say to themselves..."I've got new sucker to reel in...just crappy people have to stoop so low...STILL looking for a rear fender and a trunk lid, any body have anything ??? As long as you're not from

GB or Nigeria...ha.

Also,

If an obvious or suspected scammer contacts you through the forum PM system, you can hit the report button on the PM to alert the moderators. If you get a suspected scam email, you can send a PM with the suspected scammer's forum user name (which will be in the email text if the forum email systems was used to send the email) to a moderator and we can get rid of the scammer. If you publicly post your email address on the forum, and the scammer simply sends you an email without using the forum PM or email system, there is nothing that we can do to control it.

"Jim" contacted me & told me he "had what I'm looking for " last week. I did exactly what is/was required - clicked on the Report Icon - the moderators took care of the rest; IMMEDIATELY and then advised me, through the Forum Email system that they had addressed the "problem". the onus is on the poster/user here to be aware of the AACA Rules - READ the info provided in the "Stickys" & to educate yourself about life on the Internet. It can be a hazardous place to the uninformed!!! Lastly; "BUYER BEWARE!!!!!"

Incidently, I'm still looking for the WILLYS 77 NACO Tail Lights & International Metro parts that Jim couldn't provide!!!! Anything available out there?

Thanks, Moderators!!!!!!

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the advice...took it and reported it to the Moderators...so much to learn and do just to try and find parts for a cool car, it's a shame things aren't like they used to be, we just all get along and try to help each other out at something we love...

Guest namvetschrysler
they never have the knowledge and if they can produce a photo normally a restored car in a museum that they would be more than willing to take off a fender or transmission etc...

This scammer jim etc etc @ Hotmail etc contacted me regarding my post wanted wire wheels for my 1930 Chrysler 66 he said he was from Arkansas, I played with him for awhile then said I have friends in Little Rock and they can come and have a look at the wires, never heard from him again

Guest 27chevtruck

I had one like this a while ago. The guy sent me pictures and everything (he pulled them off google) it gave it away when he asked me to "gift" him the money on PayPal.

Sent from my HUAWEI H883G using Tapatalk