1963 Riviera help

Guest Bigdawg9831

My '64 has the FW code - Seat belts w/ retractors. My question is this. Because my car was built 7A (first week of July) does the seat belt code only appear because of the retractors? If it were mandatory after Jan. 1, 1964, there wouldn't be a need for a seat belt code. Who else out there with cars built after 1A can look at their data plate to see if you have a seat belt code on your data plate. 5Z - seat belts or 5W - seat belts w/ retractors. My theory is that if the federal mandate date is correct, after 1A, you shouldn't have a seat belt code unless it's 5W for seat belts with retractors. If there are any 5Z cars out there built after 1A, then my theory is kapoot. :)

Ed

PS the K in the 5 group is for door edge guards.

Ed,

I suspect your theory is kapooot. It makes perfect sense that Fisher would continue with a seat belt code if that operating principle was already in place before Jan 1, `64. Why make a change in procedure? It is true it seems redundant to use the code if the seat belts became mandatory for every car but why risk changing procedure and possibly confusing employees? From a management perspective what is the downside to keep using the code, at least for the duration of the model year?

The question that comes to mind for me is what style buckle became standard equipment? Did Fisher continue with a chrome plated buckle or resort to the more inexpensive plastic as in `65?

Tom Mooney

Guest dwhiteside64
Same as mine. Group 5, Z - seat belts w/ retainers, and K - Door edge guards. Thanks,

Ed

My '64 has a build date of 12B (second week December 63) and it too has 5ZK. Is there any difference between retractors and retainers?

Hey Dawg, great find! Before you spend the big buck returning your Riv to factory condition you should decide which museum to donate it to, because you'll be scared to death to drive it anywhere! Conventional wisdom is starting to come around to the fact that your car can be just as valuable in a well preserved "driver" condition, or what it would look like if it had been babied all it's life, as opposed to an incredibly expensive frame-off restoration. Having said that, some cars are beyond that, but yours looks like a perfect candidate for an extensive detailing. If it was mine, I would take care of the most urgent mechanical problems, replace the seat covers & the rubber, etc. , & then use all that time & money you saved on your new hobby, finding parts, tinkering, & detailing in your leisure time. You will appreciate your baby so much more if it is a labor of love. And like someone else already said, beware of people telling you one part fits all three first gen Rivs….& by the way, I have a proper round drivers rear view mirror from my '65 if you need one. It fits all three years. Drew Rivnik

Guest dwhiteside64

Hi again I was wondering if safety belts during 63-64 time frame were often installed at the dealer even for cars ordered at that factory with that option? That could explain for the wide variety of buckle styles and manufacturers.

What are your thoughts on this?

For '63 and up until Jan of '64, I'd say you are correct. I'll find my way into my '63 and see what the tags on the belts say and post a picture of the buckle halves. I know mine were aftermarket/dealer installed (not sure which) because I have the window sticker for my car and belts aren't listed on it.

Ed