1956 Ford Vic Power Steering Upgrade

Guest Tolvoa

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. This is my first thread.

I am upgrading a 1956 Ford Vic to power steering using a Borgeson steering gear and saginaw pump. I have completed all of the dis-assembly. This is in conjunction with a power disc brake conversion and complete bushing replacement for the front suspension.

Does any one know what the correct length the steering shaft needs to be with the new steering gear. I did find a tech article from 2004 that is very helpful but the company that made that kit is no longer in business. Here's the link to that article:

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/135_0404_1950_1960_ford_steering_kit/

That's the one piece of information that is not in the article. Would love to hear from someone that has already done one of these.

Thanks much...

tony

Input shafts on these cars range in length. When putting an aftermarket steering gear in you have to measure your gear and cut the input shaft to length to match where it will meet the new gear.

I have to ask why not use a factory power assist setup. You can use your original steering gear and not have to hack it apart. If you call French Lake Auto Parts they may have everything you need to have power steering and still keep the car at least era correct. That would be the way to go IMHO.

Are you using the same box that the company in the article used,I was thinking about using one for my 55 Sunliner and glad I did not use it as I heard a few complaints about it. I think some have put a Granada p/s system on 55 and 56s which is very similar to the original with little modifications,the shaft and column will need to be shortened a bit as the connection to the box will be up in the car a bit with the newer box. I would love to have p/s in my 55 but not going to spend the money on a rebuilt original system and not really wanting to cut up my original column and have steering box and exhaust manifold interference issues so I will just put up with the arm strong steering for now.