Sign in to follow this  
dan at larescorp

50 years from now

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Imagine the nightmare of finding the plastic and electronic parts.

I am of the belief that parts will be available for the cars of the 90's in another 50 years. OEM stuff that is NOS will command a premium just as it does today, but if there is enough demand or an owner willing to invest enough dollars in the project, anything can be fixed, restored, or reproduced...including plastic and electronic components.

I would think parts may be easier to find for these cars in 50 years. All the parts made for most modern cars were built so that they could be mass produced with the least amount of effort. That is why most of modern cars on the road look the same. They rebadge the same car and sell it under four different names.

I know the concept came out for the newer body style in 99. Does anyone know when production started on these?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]230506[/ATTACH]

My bad. I must have been brain dead { which seems to be a way of life with me now }, I failed to notice 1990's.

My list what I like but guided by who I think will be collecting, if anyone is collecting at all:

1990-1999 Mitsubishi AWD turbo Eclipse-kids love them (I own a 1990 and I love it too)

1990-....Mitsubishi 3000GT

1990's Nissan 300

BMW's Young people- elderly all seem to like them also.

1990's Camaros and Firebirds- rear wheel drive, two door and high HP(the LS engine is much the same as the Corvette) people will come around because of what they are and who made them.

Mustang- enough said

Corvette same as above

1990's Thunderbirds- rear wheel drive, two door, independent rear suspension, V8 and I think good looking (I drive a 1996 with 230K on it and still going strong)

1993-1998 Lincoln Mark 8 same as the TB above but better. The aluminum 4.6L Mod has it all over the Cadillac Northstar and it's front wheel drive. Truly a joy to drive!

Cadillac Eldorado beautiful car, mechanically not so good but it is a Cadillac which always has a strong following.

1990's supercharged Riviera- good looking but front wheel drive, but I think that the passage of time time will be kind to them.-Bill

I suspect in ten years you will be able to program a computer to reproduce any part in your 3D printer, by pushing a few buttons.

In 50 years they will have a machine to push the buttons for you.

I look forward to the day they can scan a whole car into a computer and print it out for you. Can you imagine having a garage that can print out a Ferarri, Duesenberg, or any kind of car you desire?

Nissan's Figaro, BE-1 and S-Cargo. Honda Del Sol and S-2000. Oldsmobile Aurora. There are a lot of cars desirable. Did I know that when I rode in my mom's '73 Cadillac that I would see one thirty five years later and have to have it? Heck no! Folks couldn't talk enough smack about The giant red POS in our driveway. A very different reaction to the car today. There will Always be Desirable and collectible cars until their are no more cars.

In 50 years they will have a machine to push the buttons for you.

Sounds like Zanger and Evans In The Year 2525 ;)

In the year 5555

Your arms hangin' limp at your sides

Your legs got nothin' to do

Some machine's doin' that for you

I think ya'll might be missing a direction here. There will always be some kind of a collectible to a point. With that said it will usually be the wealthy that can afford to collect and it will be the more expensive cars. Yes there will be others! But the point I wish to make is that in 50 years you could be legislated out of collecting cars. Cars nowadays are made with a short life expectancy. Times are hard and people aren't leaving cars sitting in barns anymore. Cars that go to the scrap yard are usually crushed within 6 months. The environmentalists have pushed to have anything that might be a detriment removed and recycled. There are many cash for clunkers programs that have removed many cars from the collectors hands. If the EPA and manufacturers got together and said that any car had to be turned in by the owner at the end of 10 years for mandatory recycling then it would become a crime to collect your cars. Sounds dismal. They already have cradle to grave laws for many polluting agents, wouldn't be hard for them to add automobiles. With each new year of auto being cleaner for the environment I could see large taxes for owning an older polluting car! New car manufacturers would love this and would push for it at every opportunity. When you look around you and you see no cars being left out to be collected by someone years later and you see more and more on recycling and you see the EPA cleaning up more and more places, this really isn't too far-fetched to see collecting becoming illegal. I hope that we can keep it from coming to that! For me, I would like to collect anything Trans Am or Solstice.

I used to think that collecting cars 50 years from now would be a complete nightmare because of the deteriorating plastics with no viable parts sources. Not that Ill be around to worry about it... lol. But with the current explosion in 3D printers, I imagine in 50 years you will be able to pop your old part in a 3D scanner and just print up a new one. The cars from the 90's that will be hot collectibles in 50 years are the same cars that were lusted after when they were new in the 90's. All Ferrari's, Aston Martins, Bentley and Rolls Royce drop tops, all Lamborghinis, the BMW Z8 and M series cars, all Porsche 930's, Mercedes AMG's and Hammers and anything called "super car" like Saleen, McLaren, etc that was limited production, fast and pretty.

post-84535-143142350736_thumb.jpg

post-84535-143142350764_thumb.png

post-84535-143142350765_thumb.jpg

post-84535-143142350766_thumb.png

That are all going to be lawn ornaments because there isnt going to be any gas to run them.

That are all going to be lawn ornaments because there isnt going to be any gas to run them.

Exactly my thoughts.

When the electric light was developed, Kerosene was king in your house, now you would be hard pressed to find it almost anywhere.

Gasoline will be a thing of the past!

Remember the light bulb that I just spoke of? try and find one in the store in 6 months.

I think its been proven that there is enough petroleum supplies in the world to last another couple hundred of years.

With that said what's wrong with collecting electric cars? Assumming all of the Teslas haven't burned to the ground from battery fires. LOL

And to the doomsdayers who cite the current trends of the EPA and "the man" as far as taking out the current supply of future collectables maybe it's time to band together a little tighter like our freinds who value our 2nd admendment rights.

Totally agree with turbofish38. When the economy is at its worst is when the most of history gets disposed of or gets legislated into oblivion. Now is the premier time to convince anyone to salvage what they can but most importantly to join a group (AACA) and band together to ensure that this hobby continues for our kids and grandkids and hundreds of years beyond. I've seen too many salvage yards go by the wayside that had lots of good things in them that are gone now that I never expected to close. I've seen a trend in a lot of yards that you couldn't buy a complete car from them for anything, once it is on the yard it gets cut up or crushed. I hope that more and more people get into the antique and collector car hobby, or business for some, so that it will continue My hopes are that we can save something of every make and model but also in the process that our younger generations will fully enjoy them all as much as we do!

The Figaro....420px-Nissan_Figaro_Front.jpg

That looks like something Columbo would be driving if he was still alive and needed a new car.

Yes, you nailed it. The Figaro will be one of the most sought after very rare cars of the 90s. It is now.

Columbo... Peter Falk. Looks like he passed in 2011. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Falk

I think you guys are wrong about the Computers in older cars. I think there will be "wiz kids" that will make replacement units small and better in the future. The replacement units will be one tenth the size, or less, than the originals and you will be able to hide them in your original case. Where there is a will to preserve, and a buck to be made, someone will do it. Dandy Dave!

I used to think that collecting cars 50 years from now would be a complete nightmare because of the deteriorating plastics with no viable parts sources. Not that Ill be around to worry about it... lol. But with the current explosion in 3D printers, I imagine in 50 years you will be able to pop your old part in a 3D scanner and just print up a new one. The cars from the 90's that will be hot collectibles in 50 years are the same cars that were lusted after when they were new in the 90's. All Ferrari's, Aston Martins, Bentley and Rolls Royce drop tops, all Lamborghinis, the BMW Z8 and M series cars, all Porsche 930's, Mercedes AMG's and Hammers and anything called "super car" like Saleen, McLaren, etc that was limited production, fast and pretty.

I agree with you here, technology will always catch up because it's such a massive market, selling car parts. I remember 15-years ago everyone talking about how you won't be able to restore "modern" cars because of all the plastic, well now we have 3D printers and that will only get more common and cheaper. Electric cars won't be the end, but maybe legislating people-driven cars when the roads are full of autonomous vehicles. The first available to the public are being readied now for sale in just a couple of years, the brand new S-class is already fully autonomous, they took one for a 60-mile drive with no human input for all except one stubborn pedestrian that the car didn't know how to handle. (He waved it ahead at a crosswalk but the car wouldn't budge.)

I do think that the Virage pictured will be the last Aston to appreciate tho, they may be among the worst the company produced and are a bit... bubbly in line. The Z8 never dropped in value did it, kinda like the Ford GT. Good call on your list!

Jazzer... I agree on the Crossfire SRT and West might also. :)

Dandy Dave... Yes, sadly Peter Falk passed a few years ago. I didn't know him but we dined side by side at the diner counter downstairs in the Beverly Hills Hotel. One thing I liked about eating there is you could have anything you wanted really, didn't matter if it came from the Polo Lounge upstairs or even off the menu altogether, they would make it happen. Anyway, I always respected the cafe employee's time and would only occasionally order off the menu when I really had a craving for something specific, but I noticed Mr. Falk and his very lovely wife seemed to have their own menu as everything was a special order. Oh to be rich and famous!!!