Rest In Peace

Taylormade

As the owner of a 1932 Dodge DL Sedan, I don't whether to be horrified or just saddened by this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Other-coupe-2-door-32-dodge-coupe-3-window-hot-rod-rat-/181299984063?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2a365236bf&item=181299984063&pt=US_Cars_Trucks#ht_229wt_1367

Aside for the ridiculous asking price, this once proud coupe has been reduced to this. I'm not necessesarily against hot rodding, especially when a car is only good for parts or too far gone to restore back to original, but if this was done fifty years ago to what was probably a decent original car and then left to rot, it's a real shame.

If that Hemi can be repaired along with the car finished, I think it's a cool '50's hotrod. It wasn't done lately from what I read about it. Personally, I only deal with and own strictly original oldies. NO cutting torches near my iron, ever, if I can help it. I'm in the process of tracking down an original 1932 Ford pickup, near me, before a "chopper" gets his bloody hands on it.

Look, this hobby is not all about perfect points restorations. Metal workers, fabricators, restorers to help us now old men come from hot rodding too. Over the decades I've seen so many incorrectly, inadequately, cheaply restored cars that I don't mind this hot rod in the least. There are still more cars out there than all of us can restore and by putting a builder like this down rather than praising his skills and creativity, some of you just look like elitist snobs. Most of you know that some survivor factory original cars are going through auctions at equal money to the finest AACA and CCCA restorations. Why is that? Because OVER restoration has been the standard and does not represent what the car companies and coachbuilders marketed. Have a little tolerance, a little compassion, and let some hot rodders grow their skills.

As far as price, what is the difference between this and all the Craig's list ads for $10,000 cars that have a subject line price of $1 or $10.

Live and let live.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do own restored, survivor, hot rod and coachbuilt cars. I've earned AACA seniors.

Look, this hobby is not all about perfect points restorations. Metal workers, fabricators, restorers to help us now old men come from hot rodding too. Over the decades I've seen so many incorrectly, inadequately, cheaply restored cars that I don't mind this hot rod in the least. There are still more cars out there than all of us can restore and by putting a builder like this down rather than praising his skills and creativity, some of you just look like elitist snobs. Most of you know that some survivor factory original cars are going through auctions at equal money to the finest AACA and CCCA restorations. Why is that? Because OVER restoration has been the standard and does not represent what the car companies and coachbuilders marketed. Have a little tolerance, a little compassion, and let some hot rodders grow their skills.

As far as price, what is the difference between this and all the Craig's list ads for $10,000 cars that have a subject line price of $1 or $10.

Live and let live.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do own restored, survivor, hot rod and coachbuilt cars. I've earned AACA seniors.

Very well quoted.

The last thing I wanted to do is start a war here. As I said in my original post, I'm not necessarily against rodding a car too far gone to restore - although some of the restorations I've seen on this site have started as a lot worse! I personally can't see any "skill or creativity" in this car, but that's my opinion - and ONLY that. What made me sad was a car torn up, never finished and then left to rot. Check out the rust on the truck lid. Check out the "work" on the frame. If they'd driven the original coupe into any kind of dry storage and just left it there it would be worth a lot more than this sad relic will ever be.

<quickprintreadystate style="display: none;"></quickprintreadystate>

The last thing I wanted to do is start a war here. As I said in my original post, I'm not necessarily against rodding a car too far gone to restore - although some of the restorations I've seen on this site have started as a lot worse! I personally can't see any "skill or creativity" in this car, but that's my opinion - and ONLY that. What made me sad was a car torn up, never finished and then left to rot. Check out the rust on the truck lid. Check out the "work" on the frame. If they'd driven the original coupe into any kind of dry storage and just left it there it would be worth a lot more than this sad relic will ever be.

Tough to polish a turd, good parts car though, seen worse restored.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

And a 32 coupe is one rare beast. All the extensions that mount the body to the frame have been cut off during the channel job, so getting the body back to stock would be a chore. But as was mentioned, a good parts car.