Trunk Cardboard Clips etc

Glenn McMahon

Hi All

I have been away for some time and its full steam ahead now. I need to get my car ready for this summer to drive. I know this is an old question but does anyone have a set of the clips that hold the trunk cardboard in or know where I can try to get one?

Also need the wingnut and jack hold down spring. I ordered a wingnut from CARS but they sent me the wrong size. To ship it back will probably cost more than it is worth. Any members with 63-65 cars in the Toronto GTA Ontario area please send me a PM. There our many questions I have that can be answered by examining an actual car.

All help appreciated.

Regards

Glenn McMahon

Toronto ON Canada

Glenn-I just did a few of these things to my 63 trunk. For what it's worth, here's what I did:

1. For cardboard clips I found a few cars retaining them at CTC Auto Ranch in Denton, Texas. It's a vintage salvage yard. There are still 63-5 Rivs with meat on the bone up there and some of them have clips. Ask for Dave. I'm sure they would pull them and ship to you for very little money. I'm going up in a few months myself and I might grab all the ones I can find since ROA guys are always seeking them.

2. For the wing nut, you might have better luck making one. I ordered the right size wing nut from Year One (for a Cutlass) then took some threaded rod, welded it to a bent (hooked) non threaded rod and it works great. If you can't weld, a muffler shop will do it for peanuts. You can't see anything but the top on the wing nut anyway.

3. Here's the best one…for the jack hold down spring, go to any Tru Value hardware store. They sell replacement springs for tensor lamps and they are identical.

As much as I appreciate all the great vendors that support our hobby, I still get a buzz from making stuff myself for my Riv. It's where necessity, inventiveness and thrift meet. Good luck. PRL

Pete thanks for your reply. How many clips constitute a full set for the trunk and are they all the same? I have the rod for the spare just not the wing nut. The spring hold down I know I could make the problem is I dont have an example of one to use as a template. Does anyone know of a drawing or thread that show where the clips go? I will try to send CTC a message to see what they have. The problem up here in Canada is there are few parts cars around as the winter and salt have sent them all to the crusher.

Glenn McMahon

ROA#12929

GM-Good question: I know there at least four total, two per side on the cardboard that covers the hinges. There may be more around the rear section. My car never had any clips or cardboard when I got it so I'm sort of making it up as I go. I did a little custom fitting in the back so I didn't end up using clips in that section. I did a sort of hybrid of the cardboard and some particle board which I then covered with vinyl. I guessing somebody with an untouched trunk can answer for sure. PRL

Pete thanks for your reply. How many clips constitute a full set for the trunk and are they all the same? I have the rod for the spare just not the wing nut. The spring hold down I know I could make the problem is I dont have an example of one to use as a template. Does anyone know of a drawing or thread that show where the clips go? I will try to send CTC a message to see what they have. The problem up here in Canada is there are few parts cars around as the winter and salt have sent them all to the crusher.

Glenn McMahon

ROA#12929

Hi Glenn,

Pictures help.... :)

First pic, is a complete set of retaining clips for the trunk cardboard (minus the set screw by the trunk latch).

Second pic, is what I believe to be an original tire jack rattle spring and clip.

The spare tire kicker in the third picture (top center) would be for later builds of the '63 with the spare tire pushed back on the Dutchman shelf.

Pic 4 is from a member (forget his name) who has a very low mileage car, which is in original condition.

post-65039-143142353411_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143142353414_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143142353423_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143142353425_thumb.jpg

post-65039-143142353429_thumb.jpg

Thank you kindly Chuck for your pictures etc as they are most helpful. Now to find all these things. I believe I am also missing the flat bent metal piece that goes on the tire shelf. So other than the jack and its base and the lug wrench and a new set of trunk cardboard and the threaded hooked bolt I am missing everything else. I am looking.

Thanks

Glenn Mc Mahon

As I looked at these clips I was reminded of something else that could work until you find the correct clips. You could take a 3/8" binder clip and use it to hold the panels in position. Use both wires to open the clip and position it. Fold the back wire out of sight and remove the front wire from the part of the clip that you can see. All you would have showing would be the black part of the clip. It would take an awfully good eye to spot the difference. When it's time to take them off, put the wire back on the clip, fold the back wire forward and take them off. I don't have anything ready to try it on at this time so if anyone tries it, let me know how it works and what it looks like; I can only envision it at this point.

Ed

Hi Ed

Thanks for your reply. Its funny I had the same thoughts about using those bulldog clips as I call them. I will install the cardboard with them and see how it works until I come up with something else. I also thought of using those plastic christmas tree plug things on some of the pieces. You know the type that hold half the parts on a new car! The cardboard is very stiff as is. Does anyone know if it is best to slightly score the joints with a blade before trying to bend? Also has anyone tried to paint there cardboard?

Regards

Glenn

ROA#12929

G-Careful how you score the cardboard. I did mine and it really affected strength. I was having trouble getting a good, clean bend. Once I'd scored a piece, I decided not to do that again. I have an inexpensive, small metal brake in my garage. I cleaned it and put the cardboard in it to bend it. It worked great. Having pressure on both sides made a really clean bend. Regarding paint, I tried that too with mixed results. Not only does the cardboard absorb paint in funny ways, it's really vulnerable to nicks and scratches. Right now I am covering the cardboard with vinyl to match the carpet. It's not stock, but so far it is looking really good and it's tougher than the plain cardboard. PRL