27 GB Screenside on E-bay

stakeside

Found this on E-bay.

Is this the same as the DCT designation. This is noted as a 452 SV screen canopy in the ad. I believe it to a Graham not Dodge. The radiator should have a Graham badge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Other-Pickups-Screen-side-Canopy-Pickup-1927-dodge-graham-brothers-screen-side-canopy-pickup-/131090416652?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1e8599040c&item=131090416652&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

note the complete tool package.

post-71470-143142343718_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142343721_thumb.jpg

Somebody did a great job on that truck.

Someday I am going to do my best to get all of the different variations of trucks sorted out but right now life keeps getting in the way.

Jason, OK this is what I think.....this is one of those transition commercial cars (3/4 ton).I believe we agreed that the 3/4 ton trucks were all built and badged as GB's starting in 1927. My 3/4 ton DB (A 770xxx,engine C841-xxx) was built by DB in Sept 1926. The ebay truck is A-817117, engine C884307 making it a Nov 1926 build. Seller has the engine# listed as the VIN# (someone goofed..but it is what it is).This truck is exactly like Juans (Oct 1926 build) and only different than mine by the cab quarter windows and two ribs on doors (mine has no quarter windows and one rib).The GB's all have the quarter windows and two ribs.

So my guess is that DB transitioned to GB after Sept 1926, used GB cabs and were still badged DB. Starting in '27 badged GB and sometime in there started using the D motor ,fast four.

If you scroll thru the sellers pics he shows the DB toe board data plate with a DB VIN# (not on the toe board though) plus he shows an additional small plate (which I've never seen before) stating it was built by GB. So that's what I think. Bill

Edited by Texacola (see edit history)

I went back and found a similar truck in the GB Trucks thread that Jason started a while back and am definitely curious now...(see post #107 http://forums.aaca.org/f143/dodge-brothers-graham-brothers-trucks-282804-5.html)

Can anyone confirm this truck on Ebay is body model 562 ? If so, I wonder if there are any original notes in one of the GB sales books that touches on any clues to the transition..in particular the badging . I believe Sherman is correct suggesting it's the DCT and will be curious to see if any new info comes from this one.

Probably been covered many times but it's worth a shot ...

I was questioning the vin# but Texacola cleared that up. Very good explanation Bill, thanks for your input.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

I went back and found a similar truck in the GB Trucks thread that Jason started a while back and am definitely curious now...(see post #107 http://forums.aaca.org/f143/dodge-brothers-graham-brothers-trucks-282804-5.html)

Can anyone confirm this truck on Ebay is body model 562 ? If so, I wonder if there are any original notes in one of the GB sales books that touches on any clues to the transition..in particular the badging . I believe Sherman is correct suggesting it's the DCT and will be curious to see if any new info comes from this one.

Probably been covered many times but it's worth a shot ...

I was questioning the vin# but Texacola cleared that up. Very good explanation Bill, thanks for your input.

Dave if you look at post #121 you will see my truck and the differences in the DB cab and what I believe is the GB cab (model 562 as posted by Jason).Juans' truck is identical to the 562 but also badged DB and built one month after mine, so again I think GB took over supplying the cabs (if not totally building the 3/4 ton) around 10/26 and badging them DB. In January '27 they were badged GB. Also the '27 GB's I've seen do not have the two piece windshield.

Dave if you look at post #121 you will see my truck and the differences in the DB cab and what I believe is the GB cab (model 562 as posted by Jason).Juans' truck is identical to the 562 but also badged DB and built one month after mine, so again I think GB took over supplying the cabs (if not totally building the 3/4 ton) around 10/26 and badging them DB. In January '27 they were badged GB. Also the '27 GB's I've seen do not have the two piece windshield.

Now it makes sense...thanks for clarifying that for me.

Wow, this is great information you guys are touching on. Fun going back over some of the old threads too..

Jason, OK this is what I think.....this is one of those transition commercial cars (3/4 ton).I believe we agreed that the 3/4 ton trucks were all built and badged as GB's starting in 1927. My 3/4 ton DB (A 770xxx,engine C841-xxx) was built by DB in Sept 1926. The ebay truck is A-817117, engine C884307 making it a Nov 1926 build. Seller has the engine# listed as the VIN# (someone goofed..but it is what it is).This truck is exactly like Juans (Oct 1926 build) and only different than mine by the cab quarter windows and two ribs on doors (mine has no quarter windows and one rib).The GB's all have the quarter windows and two ribs.

So my guess is that DB transitioned to GB after Sept 1926, used GB cabs and were still badged DB. Starting in '27 badged GB and sometime in there started using the D motor ,fast four.

If you scroll thru the sellers pics he shows the DB toe board data plate with a DB VIN# (not on the toe board though) plus he shows an additional small plate (which I've never seen before) stating it was built by GB. So that's what I think. Bill

Without knowing the history of this truck there are many possibilities. This could be complete truck with all original plates and badges or a collection of parts obtained from a swap meet. Even if an original truck it may be a collection of spare parts that were available at the assembly plant. The "Built By" plate is located on the windshield headed. I once thought all plates said Graham Bros but in the "E" series around 1929 they said Built By Dodge Bros. I have seen this on a 29 DB model

I would like to know is the frame number. That would determine if it is "C" or "D" series hence "DCT" or "DDT". The frame should have a D, E, or S prefix. Not sure GB trucks used these prefixes. I did notice the frame is not straight at the rear spring support but is curved. See attached photo I got from previous post. Note the GB model name 562.

post-71470-143142344675_thumb.jpg

Sherman, the frame number is A817117 seen in the last pic of the slideshow and mentioned by Bill earlier in post #4.

Guys like you and I who have the D, S, or E prefix are so locked in on our own trucks at times it's hard to keep up with anything unfamiliar. I personally have to read this stuff several times till it makes sense, so I understand your confusion.

Sherman, the frame number is A817117 seen in the last pic of the slideshow and mentioned by Bill earlier in post #4.

Guys like you and I who have the D, S, or E prefix are so locked in on our own trucks at times it's hard to keep up with anything unfamiliar. I personally have to read this stuff several times till it makes sense, so I understand your confusion.

I believe the A817117 is the car # and there should be a frame # with the E, D, or S prefix. See attached plate picture of previous post of 27 GB model DDT.

post-71470-143142345502_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142345472_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142345477_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142345524_thumb.jpg

Sherman, that's interesting and very good info but the eBay truck is not showing a frame # (I'm confused again...:confused:) .

Notice the ID Plate in the 2nd photo from the bottom on that link.

The lower two spaces of both plates are for deliver date and place delivered. Other plates I have seen were blank and may be optional for dealer to complete.

Anybody got other examples of the truck ID Plates? Could it be the first plate is for a passenger car?

post-71470-143142345662_thumb.jpg

post-71470-143142345684_thumb.jpg

The first plate I believe is correct for this vehicle. A817xxx is a 11/26 build. This screenside is a "Commercial Car" all of which were built on the DB passenger car frame sharing the same engines,I believe the trans and rear were heavier. Being a DB build or as said before maybe a transition to GB there would be no prefix. The second plate you show is clearly a GB built vehicle (late June 1927) at which time GB affixed their own plate (can't comment on prefix at that point). Interesting though that GB was still using the DB car # sequence.I still believe the commercial cars (3/4 ton) were DB until January 1927.

Oh, forgot to mention....I contacted the ebay seller and he confirmed the VIN (car# A817-117) is on the frame, so data plate is correct to this vehicle.

Edited by Texacola (see edit history)

Bill, so what model designation would this be, is it the DCT in your view ?

What's the saying, "when things got really confusing" ? Prime example of that famous quote...

This summary is for 3/4 ton commercial cars or trucks. It was taken from the "Mopar Serial Reference Chart" in my previous post in this tread.

For Stockton "S" the model is DCT is a "C" series built between April 1926 and July 1927.

For Stockton "S" the model is DDT is a "D" series built between Aug. 1927 and June 1928.

For Stockton "S" the model is DET is a "E" series built between July 1928 and Nov. 1932.

My two 3/4 ton DB "E" series trucks are "DE" and "DA-E" models. The "DE" truck had the toe plate that shows the model. This is an early production.

The second truck is a later build and appears identical except for carburetor. This the frame I am using for my restore with the 805 type cab.

post-71470-143142346402_thumb.jpg

Bill you have a great looking commercial car, and thanks for the information you provided.