Does anyone know if the front fenders from '63 and '65 Rivieras will interchange? (Aside from the obvious headlight/turn signal issue). There's been a wreck to my daily driver. I have a parts car, but wasn't originally intending to swap fenders, the wreck just happened. So sad.

Not sure which way you are trying to go, but you can put a 65 front on a 63, or a 63 front on a 65. Everything is different. Fenders, inner fenders, core supports and bumpers have to all changed as a unit. You can't mix and match from one to another, but if you cange it all it will work.

Edited by steelman (see edit history)
Does anyone know if the front fenders from '63 and '65 Rivieras will interchange? (Aside from the obvious headlight/turn signal issue). There's been a wreck to my daily driver. I have a parts car, but wasn't originally intending to swap fenders, the wreck just happened. So sad.

What year do you need fenders for?

kaycee

Also the hood, but I think I can use the one from my '63.

The hood spears are different as is the hole in the hood where the emblem mounts. It's pretty easy to make the '63 hood work though.

There are lots of parts vendors who advertise in the Riview. The latest issue, Vol. 30, #1, has been mailed.

I've uploaded a photo of the car in my gallery.

OUCH

Have you been able to open the hood yet? I see the grill is cracked; kind of makes you wonder about the inner fender, radiator support, clam shells, and ?????. Hopefully you're fully insured and you'll be able to find a good donor car for all of the parts you're going to need.

I would imagine that compared to the total number of Rivieras on the road and being parted out, only a small fraction of owners are on this forum. I know a number of parts suppliers who are not on this forum. Besides the ads in the classified section of the Riview, there are a number of suppliers listed on the ROA's website. The link is in my signature bloc

post-74569-143142344131_thumb.jpg

Are you wanting to go custom for $$ sake? If you have all the parts necessary it might be a cool job. See if you can keep the headlamps in the fenders and use the '63's marker grills instead of going with the center mounted headlamps. I've always liked that.

There should be several cars being parted in Texas if you want to stay '65 but the light parts are very expensive.

Mike

Being a daily driver, it's fully insured. I've been trying to figure out a way to put "Phantom" headlights in the clamshell pockets way before this accident. Tried fitting the cathedrals from the '63 but as you know, they are to short and narrow. Thus, the questions about fender swaps. But then I'd have to deal with the sharper body line. It'll probably stay original. I should be glad I had it insured, and that no one was hurt.

Edited by BB401 (see edit history)

Here's a link to a thread on this forum for those of you who might want to consider putting stacked headlights behind the turn signal grills on a '63 / '64. Nice job Steve

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/phantom-headlights-63-a-272713.html

Here's a link to the eBay vendor who makes the billet grills.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/63-64-BUICK-RIVIERA-CUSTOM-BILLET-GRILLE-1963-1964-21-BARS-RAILS-IN-STOCK-NEW-/310837115585?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item485f55fac1&vxp=mtr

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • 5 months later...

As promised, I'd post the finished product...almost there. First an update. I stripped the front end of the '65. I removed the fenders from my '63 parts car as well as the driver's side inner fender. Then installed the inner on the '65. (more later). Installed BOTH '63 fenders. Yes, they'll fit on '65 inner fenders. This is where my dilemma began. Do I go forth with the swap over to a custom '63 front end on a '65 because that's the parts I have on hand? I haven't been able to locate the hood and fender any closer than Arizona and he won't/can't provide a photo. Need to figure shipping costs before I make a 20 hour one-way trip. Or do I try looking more? In the mean time, still gathering the rest of the parts and I need to rebuild my center-link/drag link. Sorry $400+ from Rare Parts is just to much. Figured out that if you file off the welded edge of what I call the "Mushroom Cap" they'll just fall out. Then you can press out the tapered "bolts" with little effort. What I found in mine to be worn was the plastic 'T' shaped bushing, not the rubber itself. I had a small local machine shop make a set of these out of oil impregnated bronze called Oilite. Press them back in, insert bolt, reset mushroom cap with a touch of grease, and wire weld back on.(Body shop welded mine) Start to finish, about a week...$185. Pulled everything off the spindles and installed disc brakes.(More later). Replaced transmission lines. Replaced second new aluminum radiator(first one was three weeks old when the wreck happened). Installed core support from the '63. Still no hood or fender and coming up on spring break. Got a trip planned to go to Oklahoma then. Looked around up there for three days. Found lots of good stuff just not for a '65 Riviera. (Need to make a return trip to Willie's Salvage in Earlsboro, OK). Decided to come back through Big "D" Dallas where a place had 8 cars. They said they have no good fenders, but got 8 cars. Gotta stop. Need other stuff. Guess what... 8 cars = 1 fender. Yahoo! Also bought an original green tint windshield without scratches. Ok, now with a '65 fender the plan has taken shape. Back to original form, not a hybrid. Fender and '63 hood go to the body shop around the corner. '63 fenders come off of the car. Finish gathering smaller parts and then I get a surprise along the way. (Check out the photos) So with the '63 hood and '65 fender out of the body shop and other parts already installed didn't take long to get these fit up. The only things left to do are some trim, bumper (Due to final painting) and new dash and windshield that are non-wreck items.

post-91016-143142597917_thumb.jpg How about that for a driveway rebuild of a daily driver...

post-91016-143142597908_thumb.jpg

Ralph, glad you found a fender. Looking good. Haven't been to Willie's in several years, but he always had some neat stuff at fair prices. Another neat old salvage in that area is Roff in Shawnee. Have to go "his other yard" to see the good stuff. May not get into that one the first time. Took me three tries before the old man let me in. Keep the updates coming.

Thanks Steve. I think I had actually talked with that "Old Man"Roff as you called him. I had checked out three places around Shawnee actually. That's how I got directed to Willie's. You are correct, lots of good cars at reasonable prices there. It's like old man Willie bought up cars and never sold them, just stashed them. Now his son has them to sell and part out.

Yes..Dual Quads.. Came across that setup during my parts hunting. Thought about putting it on another built up engine yet to be completed. But couldn't resist. So I've got a 401/dual quads.