1932 Ruxton, or how I became an unwitting restorer.

Barry Wolk

Guest Magoo

After seeing the car blown apart and now in these photos, I can't want to see it in finished form. It truly is one of a kind, like nothing else.

Some pictures from yesterday, The interior is a 5-footer. Not bad, but not exactly what we were expecting.

IMG_2987_2_zpseb68206e.jpg

IMG_2986_2_zps5a910cc3.jpg

IMG_2985_2_zpsadd31059.jpg

IMG_2984_2_zps65458c6f.jpg

The Ruxton door handles made by American Arrow turned out great.

IMG_2988_2_zps03652fc3.jpg

The new air filter is a perfect fit. Dave created some pockets for the screws to set into so it doesn't come loose.

IMG_2993_zps451680f4.jpg

I've always wondered how to blacken the images cast into some parts. These are the bumper badges.

IMG_2996_zps91609ad5.jpg

IMG_2997_zps8a9cdcd7.jpg

IMG_2999_zps70b22f0b.jpg

IMG_3000_zps02fc344a.jpg

The same process being applied to the hubcaps.

IMG_3001_zps15beaae3.jpg

At the last minute I realized that I didn't have an oil filler cap. I was about to sacrifice the cap from the Continental engine by cutting off the dipstick in my '33 Flyer when I realized I probably couldn't replace it as there are fewer '33 Continental Flyers than Ruxtons. I had Positive Tool make me a new cap out of stainless. I polished it to look like chrome. I sacrificed a spring steel spatula to make the spring.

IMG_3002_zps695ec115.jpg

IMG_3004_zpsfef5b5aa.jpg

Final assembly today. It's being picked up at 5:00 pm today.

Hello West, Jocko here. We seem to hear the same grievance about Woodlite headlamps from past owners that they're dismal in their ability to light the road ahead. Many years ago we did a Packard cpe roadster that had them and we had the same concerns. Once restored and the reflectors replated they were extremely bright. The version we used had an adjustable bulb socket. In and out for sure, but I seem to recall a screw setting on the bottom section at the rear that allowed a bit of tilt as well. The neighbor across the street had his garage open one evening and from ours we lit his back wall (about 160' away) completely on the high beam setting. On low they did lower the beam but we still seemed to light most of his backyard. These had a stationary bulb socket with no apparent adjustments. If someone were bent upon having a set I think the same results we achieved are possible.

Asked in another forum, "Did you do this all yourself?" Sorry about the length, but there were many people involved with this car.

No, I had help on everything. My skill set ends at mechanical and electrical. However, I did pretty much disassemble and assemble the whole car. It appears to others that I have a haphazard inventory control, but it appears that I lost only one part, but I'm really not sure it was ever there.

I absolutely could not have made this even move on its own without the extreme talent and cooperation of Rob and Dave at Positive Tool, near our storage building in Redford. I would never had made it this far without Jocko McNeal's paintwork and detailed knowledge of how old cars are put together. I would have made many mistakes had it not been for his knowledge. His assistant, Dan Letinski, lent a helping hand wherever necessary and gave the best constructive criticism. Jocko's pal Terry jumped in where needed. The luggage rack was the very last thing to get painted, so Terry and I were securing the myriad of parts only minutes before the planned shipping.

My friend Greg Hartle was a big help early on, coming up with cementing the long crack in the water jacket. His guidance and final adjustment of the brakes and steering make it stop straight and true. Spectrum Powder Coating did a top-notch job powder-coating just about everything but the body. My life was made much easier by having a treasure trove of period correct straight blade Nickel and chrome-plated brass screws at Metro Fasteners, literally around the block from my shop. I lost 30 pounds during this project. I think walking to their place several times a day was a big help.

Without the technical references, pictures and recommendations from Ruxton expert Jim Fasnacht, I could not have made this car as authentic looking as it is. Some of the nicest work came out of Lyndon Fabricating. The replacement water jacket cover saved the day.

Speaking of saving the day a rather serendipitous thing happened while Greg and I repeatedly tried to time the engine. The timing gears were correct, but had timing marks for engines that run in the opposite direction. After finding that our old Porsche wasn't starting reliably I found myself hiring a mobile mechanic that specializes in classic cars. Dave tends to work some off hours, but he always showed up when promised. One night I was lamenting on the problem I was having with the valve timing that left me curled in the fetal position after 5 long days and many attempts to start it. He said, "I'm an expert on valve timing, I can get it running." My jaw dropped. So did the weight on my shoulders. He agreed to put off some projects to work on the car full time, which allowed me to build sub systems and have him install them. He fixed so many things that cropped up that I would have been overwhelmed making this happen for my friend Scotty. His dream was to have this car on the green at Pebble this year, regardless of condition at ship date.

We got it really close. It runs great, it looks great, it stops and steers great and it sounds great. The color scheme will be revealed at the end of the Tour in Carmel, where we hope to join them. Lastly, the project could not have happened without the guidance of Scott and his wife Celesta, as it was her insistence that she knew what she wanted in a paint job and that he wanted a car he could drive. Their support of my efforts was always there. I have to give special thanks to my wife, Glynette, who has seen me through some crazy projects. Without her support and concern I wouldn't have been able to fulfill my promise to Scott. Glynette and I built our house when I was in my early 40s. I built the trailer in my early 50s. Now I've built a vintage car in my early 60s. I think I'll build a birdhouse next.

Edited by Barry Wolk (see edit history)

Hello West, Jocko here. We seem to hear the same grievance about Woodlite headlamps from past owners that they're dismal in their ability to light the road ahead. Many years ago we did a Packard cpe roadster that had them and we had the same concerns. Once restored and the reflectors replated they were extremely bright. The version we used had an adjustable bulb socket. In and out for sure, but I seem to recall a screw setting on the bottom section at the rear that allowed a bit of tilt as well. The neighbor across the street had his garage open one evening and from ours we lit his back wall (about 160' away) completely on the high beam setting. On low they did lower the beam but we still seemed to light most of his backyard. These had a stationary bulb socket with no apparent adjustments. If someone were bent upon having a set I think the same results we achieved are possible.

Great work on the car. I enjoy seeing your craftsmanship.

While I saw the Ruxton only partially completed, it was still easy to see the car's star quality. Like when a movie star walks into a room. Like that.

-Bill McGuire

Before some random photographer ruins my subterfuge I've decided to not let anyone steal my thunder. The car is arriving a day early in Monterey where it will be unloaded and likely photographed in color so I've decided to preview the finished product.

IMG_3029-Version2_zps9f5e8e38.jpg

IMG_3029_zps116fc733.jpg

http://vid244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/1931%20Ruxton/MVI_3010_zps4328bee2.mp4

http://vid244.photobucket.com/albums/gg18/barry2952/1931%20Ruxton/MVI_3026_zpsaeb5f8df.mp4

The front end came together about 2:00.

IMG_3011_zpsf7277a0a.jpg

The upholsterer showed up around 3:00 to install the privacy shades.

IMG_3014_zps310d71e6.jpg

At 4:00 I finished installing the luggage rack and rear bumper.

IMG_3012_zps5d8d5d9f.jpg

At 6:00 it had no LR fender or hood.

IMG_3017_zpse2feecab.jpg

About 7:00 I hammered in the drive pins into the authentically original crooked holes in the engine block. Terry attached the "Budd" body tag to the side of the cowl with brass screws. The original had been spot welded one. That wouldn't be practical at this stage of the game. It was positioned by the #57 stamped into the cowl's sheet metal.

IMG_3015_zps636542b9.jpg

IMG_3016_zps7623a378.jpg

When I got it.

Ruxtonatrest_zpscd913cf8.jpg

Ready to roll.

IMG_3020_zps673870dc.jpg

IMG_3021_zpsebc3f092.jpg

IMG_3022_zps1d65a4a2.jpg

IMG_3023_zps4bf01520.jpg

Outside and ready to load.

IMG_3031_zps60509c47.jpg

IMG_3032_zpsf7599ae2.jpg

IMG_3033_zps718ca151.jpg

IMG_3035_zpsf6e2aa01.jpg

See ya' in Monterey.

:)

The Eagle has landed and the owner is "Over the moon!" People are astonished at the outcome. He told me that I had completed my mission of getting his Ruxton to Pebble, with or without fenders. The fact that it started right up and that he was able to drive it off the truck was the most pleasing thing to hear. I was also happy to hear that he was pleased with the engine bay, the only part of my work you really see. I gave him a punch list of about 19 items that there simply wasn't time to address and my thoughts on how it should be started and other mechanical advice. He's asked for paint formulas so he can do touch ups, but is very pleased with the knockout paint job.

The owner has already mobilized a band of automotive craftsman to finish what we started. They have all day tomorrow to do what we could have completed, had we had the day we were promised.

10583859_10203493033460562_5345974735769174685_n.jpg

10547605_10203493033580565_1790467731744878380_n.jpg?oh=cfbce3d836f1e3126533e99d5797ac63&oe=545D6BD5&__gda__=1416290944_3967533d55db92a11f38d74edc09a820

Edited by Barry Wolk (see edit history)

Am I seeing quarter windows that actually flip outward?? I must have missed where you mentioned those. I see the handles now in the interior shots.

They only open about 2" and have a decent seal around them. The rear door windows only go down about 5" due to the wheel arch impinging on door space.

FYI, I just tallied the man-hours that went into this in the last 60 days. 1,124.5, including 320 of mine. Jocko logged 341. Dan had 325, Terry had 16.5, Greg had 10 and Dave had 112. That's not including the man-hours of all the shops and suppliers. To me, its pretty incredible that we made it.