1917 dodge running trouble, stalling

Guest rayjay1902

Guest rayjay1902

the 17 dodge stars and idles fine for a while, but when you give it gas she stalls out. she will start right up again , sometimes backfireing and the plugs keep clogging up with carbon. I took off the head, cleaned the carbon, some of it was shiny ,like anti freeze was leaking through the gasket. I put on new gasket, rebuilt vacume pump, checked for cracks , blew out the lines replaced gas filter . still no luck. took off and cleaned carburetor , still wont run. could it be points? timing off? the choke worked when I took off carb. but maby there is something I didn't see. if I were in CT I would bring it to the shop , but down here in florida I don't know anyone. I didn't think that this would be so complicated, shes been running great the past few years. I would appreciate any help..thanks

The fact that it starts right up again acts like a fuel problem however it could also be an ignition problem.

Symptoms of both troubles are identical so you have to rule out one and ignition is the easier of the two.

If she stalls when giving her the juice that COULD be an indication of weak spark. The spark doesn't jump the plug gaps in the much more dense mixture upon acceleration.

A very easy way to check this out is narrow the plug gaps to about .015" and see how it acts.

If the problem is radically lessened you know what the trouble is.

If the problem doesn't diminish you know what the trouble isn't.

Guest rayjay1902

thanks..im going to give that a try today. I pulled the plugs and they are full of carbon. they are brand new. put them in a few days ago. if it is a weak spark, what do you think the problem is?

Guest rayjay1902

i blew out the lines.and they were clear. i wish there was a way to take the gas line tube , that is inside the tank , out.

Guest rayjay1902

I tried the choke, but it didn't do anything. runs great the first few minutes, then runs rough. goes into a high idle then stalls.

Guest rayjay1902

for the hell of it im going to install new fuel lines...maby there is a small leak. but i have a feeling its something in the engine. i knew a few guys back in CT who could fix it , but no one here in florida

for the hell of it im going to install new fuel lines...maby there is a small leak. but i have a feeling its something in the engine. i knew a few guys back in CT who could fix it , but no one here in florida
One quick way to check the tank and fuel lines is to take them out of the loop by using a can of gas and a siphon. I diagnosed a non-venting gas cap that way.

Before you start changing fuel lines here, check your compression. You may have a few stuck valves. They stick pretty easily on these engines if it was not running for even one season. You really don't need any compression gauges if you don't have one, just remove plugs, put your thumb over each plug hole and have a helper crank the engine by hand. When piston comes up on compression stroke, it will try to pop your thumb off the hole. Each cylinder should be about the same. Good enough for combustion. The car has a vacuum tank I would imagine it still does... if you can drain it then prime it with fresh gas, that will tell you lots of things too. It will tell you the car will run from the vac. tank down. Problem would be from the vac. tank BACK. Make sure no mice have built a nest clogging your exhaust pipe or other restrictions. Hopefully, your ig. system is OK and starting/running procedures are followed as in the manual. Check for any degrading/air leaks around manifold. Ask if you don't know how this check is done. Personally, I would first check your vacuum tank innards for proper working order. If it's valving is hung up or sticking, it will fill and engine vacuum will suck the fuel through the engine vacuum line and flood your engine. Sounds a lot like this is happening here with your car. Sometimes you can feel that line when car is running and it will feel cold because the raw fuel is travelling through it and into the engine. I've covered about everything here without seeing the car, hope you have luck.

Guest rayjay1902

thanks pete. i removed the head and put in a new gasket, valves are giood. rebuilt vacume tank....the vacume line was getting very cold , but ok now. put in new lines. cleaned carb and checked choke. car idles fin but wont take gas. car is all original and is a daily driver. been putting about 100 miles a week for 2 years. this problen just came on all of a sudden.

rayjay, You gave me a good description of the problem. Only two ideas are going through my mind now, one being the carb internals. I know this carb. I know you said you checked the choke when you checked the whole carb, BUT... are you positive the internal rack and pinion gears are not stripped or broken for the choke mechanism? Also, the central needle valve was just center peened loosely, 1/16th", to the piston and is very prone to busting off. You can't see this 'till the carb comes completely apart. I've found this happened on two old Dodge carbs (Detroit Lubricators). It's all the carbon I see in your photo's which is leading me to this conclusion. Other than that said, Are you running an original coil and condenser? The "backfiring" is a telltale sign of a bad condenser, if the engine timing is verified good. I would double check the internals of the distributor/wiring to & from points/condenser, also your dist. flyweights for advance, if the '17 had those, as I'm not positive about that in 1917 cars. Like folks say, "most fuel problems are electrical"!!! Best regards, Pete.

Guest rayjay1902

i drained some but it came out clear. i blew out the lines and they are free. been working on this every day. she will slow idel forever but still stalls out when you gas it. the strange part is that im getting a vacume from the vent tube. you can hear it in the gas tank. but very little vacume from the gas line.. i filled the bowl with gas just to make sure there is enough gas to rev her up, but it still stalled. big show in miami next weekend, i was supposed to take her, but not looking good now.

i drained some but it came out clear. i blew out the lines and they are free. been working on this every day. she will slow idel forever but still stalls out when you gas it. the strange part is that im getting a vacume from the vent tube. you can hear it in the gas tank. but very little vacume from the gas line.. i filled the bowl with gas just to make sure there is enough gas to rev her up, but it still stalled. big show in miami next weekend, i was supposed to take her, but not looking good now.

Some thing to check is if the air valve is rising as put on the gas ,if the air valve is not rising free it will give symptons similar to what has been discribed above. I have had this happen before and found gum or dirt build up in the dash port , you have to take the air valve apart to clean it and make sure the two check valves in the base of the dash port are free also. regards Bob

Edited by robert b (see edit history)

Just thinking about for a while, you may have a bad condensor also ,these will give the same sort of problem . regards Bob

Guest rayjay1902

im going to try a new condenser. just so I got it right, the condenser is the small canister on the outside of the distributor? I see that myers has a replacement but it has 2 wires coming out of it. mine doesn't have any wires, just a nut on the bottom and a clamp,

I was thinking about the air valve in the carb sticking too. If it can't ride up as throttle is opened, the fuel/air ratio will go lean (the jet can't move relative to the tapered needle). But as mentioned earlier in this thread a shortage of gas isn't expected to produce excessive carbon. It should be easy to obtain a 'modern' condenser and try it (a John Deere dealer should have them on hand).

Guest rayjay1902

ok guys, here it is, part of the problem was my own stupidity , dont tell my wife. the car was having problems on the way home from a car show. stalling out every few minutes unable to take the gas. so i put in new lines , rebuilt vacume pump, cleaned and rebuilt carb, new head gasket and exaust rings. still couldnt get it to work . my neighbor came over , looked at it then went home to check on line. when he came over today he told me i had the vacume line where the fuel line should be and the other way around. he was right, shes running now, ill take her around tommorow just to make sure all the kinks are worked out.