Torque Tube Question

Steve Braverman

I am working on a 1934 Chevy 1/2 ton truck, and the clutch needs work. What is the procedure for removing the transmission? Can the torque tube be raised or lowered to allow for transmission removal? My father suggests that it may be easier to remove the engine.

No you don't have to remove the engine. My 32 chevy remove the 4 bolts on the ball , slided it back you should be able to take the u joint out pull drive shaft up out of the way.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest GarsCars

What about torque ball replacement? I have a 39' Buick, so can ball be changed without dropping or removing rear axle?

Thanks GC

On Buicks you can jack or use a come-along to move the rear end back. You will need to first remove the brake hose to the rear axle, loosen the parking brake cable, remove one side of the Panhard bar (rear sway bar), detach the lower end of the shock absorber links, and support the rear end as you do not want it to hang on the rear coil springs. Support the rear of the engine, remove the transmission mount and thrust pad with the rubber pad and then unbolt the torque tube from the torque ball. Then remove the bolts holding the outer torque ball retainer ( I think there are 5 bolts) and then move the rear end back to be able to get the torque ball and the innner and outer retainers out. Depending on the year, there are two different styles of seals for the drive shaft splines to prevent transmission oil from dripping down the torque tube and into the differentai. Some models can use the newer style outer retainer with a rubbber seal bonded to the inside.

Check on the Buick site for more details on this but what I describe is pretty much it.

Joe, BCA 33493

Guest GarsCars

I have a 39" Buick special, with torque ball just aft the cross member. Do I still need to loosen transmission mount on this model?

Thanks GC

Usually the thrust pad rubber has detached from the metal part due to the excessive oil leakage and it needs to be replaced. If you can remove the torque ball retainer and torque ball with out removing the transmount, then give it a try. I refer you to the Buick Forum where there are many knowledgeable and friendly experts there, some very familair with the 1939 models.

Joe, BCA 33493

Guest Grant Magrath
On Buicks you can jack or use a come-along to move the rear end back. You will need to first remove the brake hose to the rear axle, loosen the parking brake cable, remove one side of the Panhard bar (rear sway bar), detach the lower end of the shock absorber links, and support the rear end as you do not want it to hang on the rear coil springs. Support the rear of the engine, remove the transmission mount and thrust pad with the rubber pad and then unbolt the torque tube from the torque ball. Then remove the bolts holding the outer torque ball retainer ( I think there are 5 bolts) and then move the rear end back to be able to get the torque ball and the innner and outer retainers out. Depending on the year, there are two different styles of seals for the drive shaft splines to prevent transmission oil from dripping down the torque tube and into the differentai. Some models can use the newer style outer retainer with a rubbber seal bonded to the inside.

Check on the Buick site for more details on this but what I describe is pretty much it.

Joe, BCA 33493

Joe's bang on, but I do things slightly different. I don't support the rear axle. I leave the rear wheels on and let them roll back when I pull the axle back. The trans mount can stay put if you undo the 4 bolts that hold the torque tube at the end of the trans, and move the whole shebang back!

Cheers

Grant