24FT FEATHERLITE GOOSENECK MODEL 4941 TRAILER QUESTION ( The goods and Bads)

Well, I went and had my truck in the trailer weighed yesterday at the Scales and it came to 7400 ilbs, a total of 15020 lbs with the dodge truck, It's good to have a piece of mind knowing what the weight is just in case I do get pulled over in some other state, I'm at a good weight limit for the tow rig I have, the truck GVWR is 20000lbs and the trailer rating is 10000lbs, the class IV hitch I have is rated ro 12000lbs and 1200lb tongue weight with an equalizer hitch, I have the tongue weight set at 760lbs with the 56 chevy inside, it tows very nice behind the dodge, I do want to put a sway bar on before I head to Auburn next year.....:)  

are you sure about that truck number? If so you are well over 26K and into CDL? I'll have to look that combination up. If stopped in Maryland you will need a CDL medical card due to the trailer but from out of state I don't think you will have any problems. Oh, make sure your chains and brake safety pull cable are on correct and that the tires are capacity correct as I have been pulled and checked for that previously.

Robert

Robert, I need to re phrase the GVWR on my truck, it is 9000lbs according to the door sticker, what I meant to say is it is rated to pull 20000lbs ...

mine has the HO diesel Auto 4 speed, 4x4 4 door short box, here are the specs  

http://dodgeram.info/2004/load-tow/2500.html

Edited by Rooney3100 (see edit history)

Great news as you are under 26K so no CDL or DOT registration unless truck or trailer is tagged in a business name! Drive but make sure your equipment is hooked up correctly and tire capacities are over the trailer sticker.

Robert

Thanks Robert for the info, I have hooked up the trailer twice and put the truck in twice, since I got the trailer in august, I have hooked up everything properly with some advise from a fellow TOWER, I purshased straps from MACS and they work perfect, I use axle straps with a protective sheeve,  these have the hooks that are next to the handle for easy ratcheting down by the floor, I also cross my straps in the rear, the truck doesn't even budge, the winch works well, but I still wish I had a side door.....not much room along side my truck to get to the steering wheel...I will have to see what the cost of putting a side door would be..I also inflate the tires to there COLD MAX pressure when towing, I feel comfortable with the setup I have for towing, I just have to watch the other guy and I will have to walk in to Mcdonald's for my Senior Coffee from now on........ :)

Edited by Rooney3100 (see edit history)