1939 Buick Special, Holden Body - Gravel Deflector - Rear Bumper

Rexbuick

Hi,

I did mention that 2014 is "year of the 39". Some years back I obtained a rear gravel deflector for my 39 Holden Body, six years later, I've decided it must go on !!

The centre bracket has been removed, so I'm installing it so I can line up the centre bracket so that I can weld it on

I've always wondered if I have my rear bumper on upside down, the bumper has a definite sharp edge and a sweeping edge which I have always had on the bottom

Any advice and tips would be appreciated !

Were they body colour or Black ?

post-98372-143142336432_thumb.jpg

post-98372-143142336462_thumb.jpg

post-98372-14314233649_thumb.jpg

post-98372-143142336515_thumb.jpg

The gravel deflector goes under the bumper brackets. But 90% of cars have it on the top of the brackets

Think they are body colour

GMH gravel deflector is different to USA Fisher. As is the bumper

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

So its on, just hand tightened, ignore the hammer in the picture, it was never used !!

It is mounted in front of the bumper irons, which brings it closer to the body

The bracket I have for the centre appears to go no where close to mounting without major surgery, does anyone have picture of the centre mounting bracket for a Holden Body gravel deflector

post-98372-143142336832_thumb.jpg

my centre bracket

post-98372-143142336835_thumb.jpg

my centre bracket

post-98372-143142336838_thumb.jpg

post-98372-14314233684_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I did mention that 2014 is "year of the 39". Some years back I obtained a rear gravel deflector for my 39 Holden Body, six years later, I've decided it must go on !!

The centre bracket has been removed, so I'm installing it so I can line up the centre bracket so that I can weld it on

I've always wondered if I have my rear bumper on upside down, the bumper has a definite sharp edge and a sweeping edge which I have always had on the bottom

Any advice and tips would be appreciated !

Were they body colour or Black ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229111[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229112[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229113[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229114[/ATTACH]

Hi Rex,

Haven't seen you for ages, hope you are all well.

Any deflectors I have seen have all been the same colour as the body and have been mounted on top of the irons like you have it.

How you have it fitted seems right and the bumper goes on with the curve upwards at the ends.

Not sure about 39 but 38 gravel deflectors I have seen had a pressed moulding around the outer edge that defined which was the top face of the deflector and which was the bottom.

Haven't seen you for ages......hope you are all well

Hi Brian,

We are all good mate, how's the family ?

Thanks for the tips, yes it does have a pressed moulding around the edge, so it seems to be fitting up ok, just need to figure out the centre bracket, I think a bit of work in the vice with a hammer !!

This is the year, I've decided to put a bit of time back into the old car hobby, work has settled down and the girls are older and starting to cost a bit less :), but only a little bit less !!

Catch up soon

Rex

Rex,

Yours is correct for a Holden body and they do sit on top of the dummy irons.

The long chassis used a different set of dummy irons to the short chassis.

Yours seems to be in the correct place. If they were the short irons, I assume it has extensions welded on.

Here's a shot of a couple of my gravel shields focusing in on the centre bracket in question.

Gravelshield_zps5ff276fd.jpg

If you like I email it so you can enlarge it up.

Every '39 that I've seen that had them were painted the same as the body colour.

Danny

Rex,

Yours is correct for a Holden body and they do sit on top of the dummy irons.

The long chassis used a different set of dummy irons to the short chassis.

Yours seems to be in the correct place. If they were the short irons, I assume it has extensions welded on.

Here's a shot of a couple of my gravel shields focusing in on the centre bracket in question.

Gravelshield_zps5ff276fd.jpg

If you like I email it so you can enlarge it up.

Every '39 that I've seen that had them were painted the same as the body colour.

Danny

Thanks Danny,

I have the irons from a long chassis, the short chassis irons I had, even with an extension to get to the holes in the chassis, didn't stick out far enough from the body. I've got the short ones tucked away somewhere !

I'll have to check all my brackets and see if I have the correct centre one, that's the problem with neglecting my 39, now I have to remember what I have and where I hid it ! :confused:

I know where my paint is, hopefully it's still runny !

Thanks again,

Rex