Sign in to follow this  
sosuzguy

89 trans and engine mounts

Can anyone tell me how many engine mounts and transmission mounts are on the 89 model? I've got some kind of a strange vibration that seems to pulsate through the car when in DRIVE and foot on break stopped. I'm thinking I have a junk mount that's transferring the vibration. This seems to only be when the car is good and warmed up too. Thanks

Jayson

Driver side granny mount, front lower hydraulic mount, passenger granny mount, dog bone on top front, and then the all elusive vibration dampener near the pulleys. The last of each in my opinion is the least needed as I have not seen a difference with or without it.

Thanks Daniel and others,

Daniel do you recognize the vibration I mentioned? Any suggestions or which mount might be causing it? Warm engine, foot on brake stopped pulsing vibration, foot off break it goes away. Thank you

I would check the torque strut (dogbone) mounted at the top of the radiator. If the rubber bushing in it is really bad it will send a vibration from the engine into the frame of the car. If it is that bad, you should feel a cluck when shifting from forward to reverse.

To rule out the ABS as being a source of the pulsating I would unplug the power connection from the pump motor, bleed off pressure in the accumulator by pumping the brake pedal about 25 times and then test to see if you feel the vibration when holding the brakes. Be aware that it will take more effort for the brakes to hold with the pump disconnected.

Thanks Daniel and others,

Daniel do you recognize the vibration I mentioned? Any suggestions or which mount might be causing it? Warm engine, foot on brake stopped pulsing vibration, foot off break it goes away. Thank you

Is there any clunking one acceleration or braking? Also you are running get the original break system correct?

No clunking when driving or breaking. I do have one ABS sensor bad so the ABS light is on most all the time. Yes everything is original to the brakes.