Ford Cabriolet Wanted: 1931 Slant Windshield 68C

Guest AlCapone

This post has been on a Ford site for some time with many suggestions but they are always not suitable. Maybe we are spinning our wheels on this one. I personally don't think the right car will ever be found and I believe I share that opinion with many others ! JMO

Wayne

Edited by AlCapone (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

A 68c recently surfaced on fordbarn, guy is thinking of selling it so I suggested he reach out to OP here. Complete, slant, but a true project. One never knows...

Mr. Coco it's also on fb as well, nice car if one can commit to a restoration.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

The worst possible scenario, when looking for a car, is when someone says or posts "thinking of selling it".

Either it's for sale or not, and if it's for sale, then one has a price in mind, and anything else is just fishing.  I found out long ago that, unless you have a rare car or are priced way under market, no one beats a path to your door.  Interested parties will pay a fair price, but sometimes not get in a "make me an offer" mode when no price has been set to start with.

Guest AlCapone

The worst possible scenario, when looking for a car, is when someone says or posts "thinking of selling it".

Either it's for sale or not, and if it's for sale, then one has a price in mind, and anything else is just fishing.  I found out long ago that, unless you have a rare car or are priced way under market, no one beats a path to your door.  Interested parties will pay a fair price, but sometimes not get in a "make me an offer" mode when no price has been set to start with.

I totally agree! Thinking of selling is looking for a sucker ( fishing ) ! Wayne

Ok, the post is nearly two years old so I doubt if you even follow up to see the responses and if you do, are you really in the market. I am hopelessly optimistic, however. Here are a couple of suggestions for you. Contact the cabriolet club. No website that I know of but they do publish a newsletter and when something is for sale it hits there first. Email is larry-gwen@consolidated.net and the newsletter costs $14 for a year. Cheap if you find a car. Another thing to consider is a A400, like a cabriolet with a back seat. It is a car that is more expensive to acquire but history has proven that it maintains a high resale value when you get out of the hobby or when your survivors sell it. You can contact them from the website at www.a400group.com. Post an answer if you find this helpful.

Just to make sure this doesn't die,  here is today's offering over on the Hamb.  It's still original and apart for restoration but appears to be a very nice body missing some pieces which wouldn't be impossible to attain.  It's probably the wrong color or has the wrong interior ;) but I thought I would post it just in case.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1931-sw-cabriolet.989923/

Just to make sure this doesn't die,  here is today's offering over on the Hamb.  It's still original and apart for restoration but appears to be a very nice body missing some pieces which wouldn't be impossible to attain.  It's probably the wrong color or has the wrong interior ;) but I thought I would post it just in case.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1931-sw-cabriolet.989923/

Looks like the perfect car for the OP. The owner can decide exactly how each nut and bolt will be treated, and anything less wouldn't do. Then all that's to be done is find a restorer who works for free.

Yes, interesting project, but apparently not for sale, he wants to trade for roadster or coupe. Life is so difficult sometimes.

I've traded maybe three times, 50 years, while owning and releasing more than 200 cars. It's much easier to sell, then buy, than trade.....

I agree Trim- the other guy always wants the upper deal-wink...........................!

Auburn, it is also now on the Barn-dont think there will be any takers, cause the trade is on the low side, needing mucho work and there arent many rough roadsters out there. Also

the trader might think his car is worth a bit more then it really is. Many small parts are missing and the costs add up quickly. It is a major undertaking.

show me some more cabs................................!

It's always fascinated me over the years that someone can get a yearning for a certain car, and if serious, in a matter of months have one in the garage.

My wife and I rode in a '37 Cord phaeton at a CCCA Caravan in the early 80's, we agreed we needed one, and within 6 months our ugly phaeton had a beautiful feature, our name on the title!

I wanted a '69 Cutlass convertible, my first new car was the same year/car but a coupe, when I graduated high school in, oh yeah, 1969.  Decided I really wanted one, a few months later one an hour away from us didn't sell on Ebay, went and looked at it, it was better than the description on Ebay, and bought it.

Wanted a 50's Chevy truck.  Mentioned it to a few people, within a couple months bought a '53 five window from a farm not far from my home.

You have to be flexible on condition, location, price, but the point is, it's still fascinating that you can desire a particular piece of history, and if serious, own it very quickly, relatively speaking......

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

The internet has really helped bring stuff out of the woodwork but also drove the prices of the more unusual stuff up a bit. 

I'm always looking for my next deal but when I found myself in the position to finally buy a C1 Vette, one of my bucket list cars, (probably one of the most plentiful cars to find for sale as well) I was able to really think what I really wanted and ended up with a beautiful 60 Fuelie in my favorite color combination with good lineage and a few unusual options or lack their of.  It took just over a month to find.  During that time I was hitting every vette trader site and coming up with creative ways to search for a hidden gem.  I did end up buying one sight unseen from the other side of the country but when you find what you want exactly including the price range which I had to open up a bit more,  you have to go for it.  

When a buyer is serious I bet I could put their dream car (as long as they are willing to pay atleast near market) in their garage in less than 2 months including shipping time.

Now if you want a smoking bargain that will make things quite hard, in a particular color, in a specific condition with no lee way well that will be difficult.    Pretty much what this whole thread has been about. ;)

Narrow minded people, bargain shopping for that one car they will most likely never find, miss out on enjoying alot of great old cars. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Narrow minded people, bargain shopping for that one car they will most likely never find, miss out on enjoying alot of great old cars. 

One of the truisms of old cars (and maybe all old stuff) is the bargain hunter usually screws himself.

Remember to have this same enthusiasm over my search for an Auburn when I get ready.(I really think I'm a bit short right now and should spend that money building a new shop)  :)  I suspect I'll have what I want when I get ready within a month or two.  You can ask anyone that knows me.  When I get serious about buying something and go into serious search mode,  pretty much whatever I'm looking for shows up in my garage in relatively short order.  (Not always exactly what I wanted, as others said, flexibility is the key.) but something that will fit the bill and do the job. 

• Like 1

forget the shop.........................buy the car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As tempting as that sounds a plastic tent in the snow belt in -30 weather with 60 degree temperature swings really doesn't sound like the proper storage for a #3 + $100,000  car.  Although after about 5 or 6 years in their and a few leaks with rodents,  possibly even a collapse,  the $20,000 4- car you will have left will fit right in while you save up for the $100,000 restoration to bring it back to the #3+ car you started with.  doesn't sound as appealing anymore.

that's why I have box bodies from old trucks-all under 1000. to buy..................... for storage.

the pierce and cord are in the garage though..............

Box bodies aren't too bad for a project car but in the Northeast you almost need heated storage to insure it's just like it was when parked. Those box bodies still sweat.  I was in my storage trailer one day in the winter and the ceiling looked like the rain forest after a heavy rain and the next monsoon was about to begin. That's when i jumped out and closed the door before it started sweating any more.  Besides if I build a new shop I can sell the old one and get rid of 2 Mortgages as well as the time to commute to it and the plow bill,  possibly building the new shop with money I have saved.  You can't beat that.

Dave,

just what I mentioned in a previous thread. Have bought 4 box bodies with good roofs. Put cars in them. What I also do is space them 12 foot apart and run 14' 2 x4's from one to another on the roof, I now have another storage unit and so on and so on..................

put a tin roof up top and can always close the sides in with aluminum or galv tin.  no permits needed, but a good piece of land recommended. I would not put a very expensive car in one of the these,

but certainly keeps them dry and a heck of a lot better then a tarp. Also offers a degree of security. mine range from 15', which holds an A nicely to 23'.

What are the rules, I really want that landau award, especially if it is a three foot trophy vs. A grill badge. (Picture one of those CL ads featuring a nice, but run of the mill, mildly modified car where owner is posing with ridiculous humungus trophy from local fast food cruise night sponsorship, surely we have all seen this...)

I propose double points for a 31, or does that "slant" too far in favor of the 31s?

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

Steve,

as far as the rules go............. we make them as we go along and no rule is wrong.

I was actually thinking an old landau bar on a wood plaque- but your idea sounds fine by me. Double points for a 31 and triple for a 32???

finally, all you have to do is take a guess, there are no judges and so after the show, we just all agree on a number that sounds good.

I'll go with 31, since that was a great year....................................! There may not be 31 model A cabriolets at Hershey, but if we include other marques, could be close..................